Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Makoto Shinkai's new movie....WITH MAKOTO SHINKAI....IN IRELAND!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

My body is ready.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

got my tix, sadly for the second screening, refusing to read reviews about what its even about, just hope it isnt 'too' lovely dovey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't worry, it's not 'lovey dovey' in the slightest.

I'll be helping out at the event tonight, and am very much looking forward to it :) Wish I was seeing the film for the first time on the big screen, but hey whatever!

Also hoping the success of this will be a positive precedent for events of this sort. Anime in the cinema has a loyal audience, so I always wonder why there isn't more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Don't worry, it's not 'lovey dovey' in the slightest.

I'll be helping out at the event tonight, and am very much looking forward to it :) Wish I was seeing the film for the first time on the big screen, but hey whatever!

Also hoping the success of this will be a positive precedent for events of this sort. Anime in the cinema has a loyal audience, so I always wonder why there isn't more of it.

If it's about attendence. I almost never hear about it until after it's already been shown. It's partly why I'm so excited to go see this tonight.

Also, does anyone know how long it takes to walk from the city centre to smithfield? I need to figure out when to leave work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Its a ten-fifteen minute walk from the Jervis St. Luas stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Or you can get the Luas straight to Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Great to see it on the big screen. Interesting Q&A afterwards (except my lame ass, cliche question about strong female anime characters. D'oh. The last girl asked a great question about the use of expansive scenery/nightscapes). Got me Blu-Ray autographed :)

211416.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I thought the film was merely ok but I loved the opportunity to see it in that setting and Shinkai seems like a real gent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Jesus Christ, that photo is huge!

Hope you all enjoy the posters I had to painstakingly spend my afternoon rolling :p

A grand evening was had. Great to meet the man himself. It's an exposition heavy film, although plenty of wonderful moments in it, although was a) sorry for and b) annoyed at the very frustrated child sitting behind me :/ A good Q&A too, audience asked much better questions than I had expected.

Let's hope there's more of this stuff in the forseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

That was great. I would have loved to have to met Shinkai but it was a long queue and we really didn't have that much time to spare to get home. I wonder what the translator was writing as he was talking, probably just rough notes of what he was saying to refer back to as she relayed the message but the curiosity persists. I echo what Grover said about the night skies question, that was some pretty cool insight; also the question about why he chose Agartha over other versions of afterlife such as Hades. Although the person asking that question wasn't that clear in getting the question across, we still got a fascinating answer.

Oh, I also found it pretty funny that we travelled underground (the theater actually being underground) to watch a movie about people going underground.

The short referenced in the Q&A, for the interested amongst you:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

It was pretty amazing to see the man in person. He was very friendly too.
    The film itself was good, but it felt like it could have been done by any competent director. Apart from the gorgeous visuals there isn't really anything there that could tell you it was done by him.

I think the biggest problem with the film is that it does Shinkai absolutely no favours in shaking off the unfortunate 'next Miyazaki' tag. There were vague similarities before (not least a fascination with flying machines) but this is full on homage material. Heavily influenced by Nausicca, Laputa, Spirited Away and - the biggest - Princess Mononoke. Some less obvious resemblances to Totoro and a few of the others too. Could probably write an essay breaking down the similarities.

I'd put Mamorou Hosoda a little bit above him as 'the great hope of anime', but I still think Shinkai is the producer of some of the smartest, most engaging anime around. And the thematic core of Children... is pretty fascinating and complex. He just really needs to let his own individual voice sing, and this is one or two steps backwards in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Crazy jealous of you all! Glad to hear it went well though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i missed it too but it's on again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

DAMMIT! Can't believe I missed this. I love the experience of watching a beautiful animation with people who can appreciate it....AHHHHHHHH and this would have been my first time seeing it too....

Would have loved to have met the man himself too :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

DAMMIT! Can't believe I missed this. I love the experience of watching a beautiful animation with people who can appreciate it....AHHHHHHHH and this would have been my first time seeing it too....

Would have loved to have met the man himself too :(

As I said above it's on again next monday if you want to book it. :p
    He wont be there though.
    http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=details&eventCode=8293

*tumbleweed*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

*tumbleweed*

*bigger tumbleweed*

• Advertisement

they deleted the post I was replying to dammit! :D generic anime abuse by somebody.

Also I just shaved my beard and made it into a tumbleweed, so I win >_>

Wti5T.jpg

Just back from the film, it was great, the free posters are massive!

Who were the people collecting your rating on the film for their website? And adding people to a mailing list, not just the lighthouse website I take it?

Who were the people collecting your rating on the film for their website? And adding people to a mailing list, not just the lighthouse website I take it?

Access Cinema were taking ratings as part of the Japanese Film Festival (these were once off screenings as part of that). The mailing list would either have been for that or the Japanese Embassy.

Advertisement