Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am studying Geography outside of school (Need Help)

Options
  • 14-04-2012 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hello there, I have just began to study Geography outside of school and I just dont know where to begin with regards to the book and the electives and optional units.

I have Horizons (Book 1), (Less Stress More Success) & Folens Higher Level Exam Papers.

I would love to hear from people in the same position as I am regardless of which subject you are studying outside of school and teachers and anyone basically who studies Geography.

I am not fully sure as how to form an SRP properly and also where to find them. :confused:

I really want to get a high mark in the leavng cert in this subject and I really dont know where to begin with making up notes and teaching myself this subject without the help from anybody.

Also if anyone could add resources such as good sites, revision books or anything of that nature it would be much appreciated. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Don't do geography but apparently Sue Honan's Exam Skills is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

Too late now have the books and everything haha ... I love Geography but its just the notes and teaching myself the subject which is the hard part... thanks for the tip btw I heard that book is supposed to be unreal for Geography! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Coeur wasnt saying dont do geography, he was saying he doesnt do geography, but it was a little ambiguous :P

Its definitely the best book to use. It might be obvious but if you do the human elective you should do geoecology/culture & identity, and if you do the economic elective you should do global interdependence. the other one sucks, trust me :rolleyes:

And make sure you do a field study!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Patchy~ wrote: »

And make sure you do a field study!
    And make sure you have a teacher to sign off on it.

Thanks for the tips on the electives and options. I think that I might do the econmic one as I heard that it is relatable to Business as I do that subject in school.

When I go do the field study, what chapter in the book teaches you the skills you need to carry it out?

I still need good tips for making notes and getting the whole contents of the book into my head over the summer so that I can catch up with the classes in my school?

Desperate is not the word for what I am... :(

• Advertisement

Can someone please help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Oh sorry, I meant I don't do geography, I wasn't trying to discourage you from doing it! :p

Inimitable wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips on the electives and options. I think that I might do the econmic one as I heard that it is relatable to Business as I do that subject in school.

When I go do the field study, what chapter in the book teaches you the skills you need to carry it out?

I still need good tips for making notes and getting the whole contents of the book into my head over the summer so that I can catch up with the classes in my school?

Desperate is not the word for what I am... :(
    The book I use didnt have anything on it, my teacher gave us notes. Maybe ask a geography teacher for the notes? You're supposed to be supervised writing it up though.

The economic one is relatable to business, its why we did it too :)
    If I were you I'd do all the exam questions - obviously it wont cover the entire course for you but before the whole talk of reforming the LC, the geography exam was (and still seems to be) ridiculously repetitive :pac:

I was thinking i'll do elective 1 & option 1. I cannot get the notes off the teacher as I don't do it in school ou see.

I'm really wondering if I have made the right descision as whether to do the subject outside of school :(

I was thinking i'll do elective 1 & option 1. I cannot get the notes off the teacher as I don't do it in school ou see.

I'm really wondering if I have made the right descision as whether to do the subject outside of school :(
    You mean the economic elective and geoecology? I'm sure the teacher or even people in the class wouldnt mind sharing if you ask. :)

It's awkward with the fact that there's a project but its not the hardest subject to do outside school I imagine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Don't do geography but apparently Sue Honan's Exam Skills is the way to go.

definitely!! ^^^
    got an A1 in mock by learning essays out of this that were likely to come up!
    also I'd defo pick geoecology, theres only a few questions that really ever come up.

Does anyone have any tips in regards to the layout of geography notes?

Do you follow a system of:

• Write down the definitions
    • Draw the diagrams
    OR

• Definitions
    • Explanation
    • Diagrams
    Will somebdy clarifiy this for me as I need to know urgently... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

Does anyone have any tips in regards to the layout of geography notes?

Do you follow a system of:

• Write down the definitions
    • Draw the diagrams
    OR

• Definitions
    • Explanation
    • Diagrams
    Will somebdy clarifiy this for me as I need to know urgently... :confused:

My tips would be don't make notes answer exam questions :)
    Or to pick from your options the second one :)
    Did you buy sue honan ? It basically halves the workload :)

Advertisement