Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford to drink in a pub anymore?

Options
  • 14-04-2012 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Maybe its just me, being the unsocial creature I am (and keeping strange hours) but can anyone really afford to drink in a pub anymore? I mean why pay 4 to 5 yo yos for a pint in a pub when you can buy 3 or 4 in a supermarket for the same price? Its also easier to smoke at home so I would have no incentive to go to the pub when you can sit at home and have a pint for about 1 yo yo and a smoke inside. Also you can drink for as long as you like without someone shouting at you "Time now ladies and gents, have ye no homes to go to?" - Well yes I have that is until the Government aka the banks take it off me to pay the gamblers debts the way things are going! :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

As a single guy I can think of one major advantage going out has over drinking cans in my sitting room, women. Also you can drink cheap at the house both pre and post pub cutting costs. I'm not going to argue that pints are overpriced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

What's a pub?
    What are yo yos?

And more to the point, what is drink??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

As a single guy i find women tend not to congregate at my gaff. So I'm pretty much forced to go to pubs to meet them, no matter how economically preponderant the former situation would be. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

scholar007 wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, being the unsocial creature I am (and keeping strange hours) but can anyone really afford to drink in a pub anymore? I mean why pay 4 to 5 yo yos for a pint in a pub when you can buy 3 or 4 in a supermarket for the same price? Its also easier to smoke at home so I would have no incentive to go to the pub when you can sit at home and have a pint for about 1 yo yo and a smoke inside. Also you can drink for as long as you like without someone shouting at you "Time now ladies and gents, have ye no homes to go to?" - Well yes I have that is until the Government aka the banks take it off me to pay the gamblers debts the way things are going! :mad:

you have answered your own question there and women dont come and do laps around your living room do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Have ye no homes to go to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NEScart

The price of drink in a bar is a joke.

We've all done it. Paying 5+ euro for a pint. Best one had to be Pravda just off Ha'penny bridge. Pint was like €5.20 at 11pm. €5.50 at 12am. €5.80 at 1am. Such a joke :rolleyes: Then you have places such as Qbar who charged you €10 in for the privilege of being ripped off.

All while you can go to your local off-license and get 8 beers for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've kinda started to enjoy drinking at home now, like you said no smoking ban, no closing time, control over the music etc. I already have a ball and chain so I'm not allowed to be looking at other woman anyway and the town where I live is not exactly a social mecca. We still do the pub once every couple weeks or so but that's a drast reduction on what it once was. Times are hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

As a single guy i find women tend not to congregate at my gaff. So I'm pretty much forced to go to pubs to meet them, no matter how economically preponderant the former situation would be. True story.

For fups sake! Think youself lucky my friend - Nothing more costly than a woman (yes I have one - just about) - At least u know where you stand with the economically preponderant pints!

scholar007 wrote: »
    For fups sake! Think youself lucky my friend - Nothing more costly than a woman (yes I have one - just about) - At least u know where you stand with the economically preponderant pints!

Don't get me wrong, I had a woman for the last 4 years up until recently, and I really didn't need pubs during those halcyon days. But getting back to the OP and speaking as someone who's on night 3 of a bender, pubs are real overpriced bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yep I go the pub usually once a week, or say 3-4 times a month, it's expensive but always good craic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

You need more pubs to start price wars, back in September venues dropped prices to as low as 2 euro for all drinks with 2 euro on the door,

But now pints are 3:50 thats what I was charged tonight and 4 euro for a pint bottle of cider in a club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

sonyvision wrote: »
    You need more pubs to start price wars, back in September venues dropped prices to as low as 2 euro for all drinks with 2 euro on the door,

But now pints are 3:50 thats what I was charged tonight and 4 euro for a pint bottle of cider in a club

A long neck bulmers in Dublin city centre club* is about €5.50-6, in my local in Meath it's €5 for a pint bottle so €4 seems pretty cheap, I'd be happy to pay that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Was a fiver door charge, but again im not complaining about the price its much better then a year ago tenner in. And 5+ for a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

6.50 for a pint of Paulaner in a Temple Bar pub tonight, very sobering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love the pub, love my local.

Have the craic with the lads, or hook up and talk ballox with total strangers.

Packet of Tayto Pub crisps, mix in some peanuts if you wanna be exotic about it.

Curry/chipper on the way home then a mug of scald to the scratcher :D

My local has Carling and Bavarian on draught at €3 a pint - deadly stuff, although since I'm only home from work atm I'm skulling a few Druids :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I was charged tonight and 4 euro for a pint bottle of cider in a club

Pretty good realy

I haven't seen that price in a long while, not in Dublin and not in Tipp so it's not just city prices

Cider should be cheaper in Tipperary seeing as we make it all, Bulmers in Clonmel and Druids and Devil Bit and Lindin Village up in Borrosleigh
    Others counties getting our cider :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Drinking is for losers, Crystal meth is where its at

I believe it's quite moreish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

We had price wars from the pubs in Dublin before though, remember?

Complain to the barman, that six euro fifty for a pint of Luke warm beer is very expensive, barman replied by telling you "all the pubs charge the same on Dawson street" :rolleyes:

Only in rip of Ireland would a price 'war' mean competing to see who could charge the most !:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

Pints in pubs are bloody ridiculous when it comes to the price of them. 4.80 for warm, watery sh1te... Seriously?!

Might have to do the oul trick and sneak a few cans into the place itself, because it's that bad. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Insane reading the prices on here.. When I manage to visit Ireland again, Id like to head out a few nights but I doubt I'll be able to justify it. Doesn't matter, how much I have in the bank, that money goes further almost anywhere in the world.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

NEScart wrote: »
    The price of drink in a bar is a joke.

We've all done it. Paying 5+ euro for a pint. Best one had to be Pravda just off Ha'penny bridge. Pint was like €5.20 at 11pm. €5.50 at 12am. €5.80 at 1am. Such a joke :rolleyes: Then you have places such as Qbar who charged you €10 in for the privilege of being ripped off.

All while you can go to your local off-license and get 8 beers for €10.

How do you notice this? Do you actually check your change everything time you come back from bar?

The increase is only a few cent. Try to enjoy yourself the next time

Consider yourself lucky folks. I pay 7 quid a pint of stout in sweden

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Drinking is for losers, Crystal meth is where its at

Can u actually get meth in Ireland though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can u actually get meth in Ireland though?

Yes, but you'd be more foolish to try Meth than Heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

2/3 pints in the local for company and craic with the pals then home for more cheap beer or wine in front of the telly with the missus. Affordable a few times a week

Yep, turned 50 recently :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A load of my mates are in long term relationships and they always have more money than me. One asked how it is, when we're in the same job. I pointed out that he has a GF and he said it can't be that. A single female friend of mine then pointed out that my mate and his GF go out maybe once a month and are home by 11 every time. Whereas we who are single go to the pub regularly and it costs money.

Being single in Ireland is expensive. Although it is cheaper than it was.

btw, €5.60 for a pint of Heineken in the hairy lemon two weeks ago. ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

there is only one way Im going back to the pub and thats if they HUGELY drop their prices.

When I look back I cant believe the amount of money I spent on a friday, saturday and often a sunday afternoon.

I feel guilty even having 1 or 2 with the price of them now.

Although I feel sorry for the pub trade/small owners the ball is in their court, they have a powerful lobby that imho are their own worst enemies.

• Advertisement

It would be nice to see that cafe bar legislation reintroduced.

Advertisement