Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford to drink in a pub anymore?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How do you notice this? Do you actually check your change everything time you come back from bar?

Just maybe he/she isn't a total mug. :rolleyes:

Also many place hand out receipts.

Maybe we should ask the barkeep can we pay even more than the regular price. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's all about how much and how often you drink..
    We go out about twice a month for a few drinks, 4-5 usually.. Price doesn't come into it then... I don't even know how much a drink is in our local..
    Two of us can have 4-5 drinks for about €50 I suppose..

Now if your drinking 6-8 drinks 3 nights a week as some of my friends do it's a totally different matter... Combine that with smoking and it's a serious drain on any income..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm off to the pub in another hour, love the all day Saturday sessions with cracking sport on :D

Only drink once a week tho majority of the time! I could afford more nights if I wanted but it's not a healthy lifestyle as I found out before.

The majority of my drinking is done in pubs. I'm not a big fan of drinking at home, going out some where is much better. It's expensive enough as Im out at least one and maybe twice a week and often go to a club too.

Also you can't beat draught, who wants a can if Guinness like.

It's not as cheap as people appear to think to drink in pubs in other countries, well not in big city's anyway. You couldn't get a half litre if beer for less than 8 euro in Geneva, drink is around the same price as here in US city's, London is similar or more expensive to here etc etc.

I'm comparing to outside Dublin by the way where 4:50 is the most you will pay for a pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

guitarzero wrote: »
    6.50 for a pint of Paulaner in a Temple Bar pub tonight, very sobering.

Kind of related. Back when I was a smoker (about two years ago) I was in The Temple Bar and went to the bar to get change for the cigarette machine (and that little coin thing that allows you buy the cigarettes). I gave the guy a tenner and he handed me back €9.80. When I queried it he said they charged 20c for giving change for the cigarette machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't go to the pub so much anymore as I have more important things to spend my money on,but my local is packed on Mondays and Tuesdays,the day before dole day & dole day.During the boom,the same lads went drinking all day Monday as they could afford to work only 4 days a week but now they can still afford to do it on €188 a week,go figure:confused:

The drinking habits of folk I know have changed with people going for the cheaper beers @ €3 a pint,Tuborg and Bavaria have seen a huge upturn in popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

In my local in cork it's only 3 euro for a paint 3.20 for cider that till 7 pm then the price goes up you see every one leavening the pub after 7 :)

I can't afford to drink any more the last time I went to a pub I took in my own. Vodka just got coke all night which was 2.50 and just added my own vodka other wise it would have cost me around 8 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

In my local off licence I get 5 bottles of Franziskaner for 10e, instead of 4,7e per single pint.
    I can drink them beers at home - no extremely loud music, lack of annoying people around, no TV's with fecking sport all the time, nice food in the fridge whenever I want it. No further expenses on taxis afterwards.

I can't see ANY point in going to pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The majority of my drinking is done in pubs. I'm not a big fan of drinking at home, going out some where is much better. It's expensive enough as Im out at least one and maybe twice a week and often go to a club too.

Also you can't beat draught, who wants a can if Guinness like.

It's not as cheap as people appear to think to drink in pubs in other countries, well not in big city's anyway. You couldn't get a half litre if beer for less than 8 euro in Geneva, drink is around the same price as here in US city's, London is similar or more expensive to here etc etc.

I'm comparing to outside Dublin by the way where 4:50 is the most you will pay for a pint of Guinness.

In the Uk drink is dirt cheap compared to here. One pound drink promotions aren't uncommon.
    My boss is an american who liked telling us stories about when he was in college. He worked his way in a sports bar. It was a dollar for a beer so most ppl would pay a dollar, tip a dollar. What's annoying is he made more in tips during a week than I make now. Way to motivate your workforce.
    And didn't they ban (Or try to ban) all you can drink student nights in germany? It was €20 entry and all the drink was free after that.

EDIT: You're right about the cans though. I can't stand canned guinness. I have no idea how anyone can drink that muck.

Old Tom wrote: »
    In my local off licence I get 5 bottles of Franziskaner for 10e, instead of 4,7e per single pint.
    I can drink them beers at home - no extremely loud music, lack of annoying people around, no TV's with fecking sport all the time, nice food in the fridge whenever I want it. No further expenses on taxis afterwards.

I can't see ANY point in going to pub.

You have a woman/man/sex doll don['t you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

There is a big difference between the quality of a draught pint in a pub then a can of beer in your home.

Grayson wrote: »
    You have a woman/man/sex doll don
    For the past 13 years I've been happily married to a beautiful, hot girl :p

bensweeney wrote: »
    There is a big difference between the quality of a draught pint in a pub then a can of beer in your home.

Depends what you're drinking.

Heino/Bud/Carlsberg are chemical laced p*ss regardless of how they are served.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Depends what you're drinking.

Heino/Bud/Carlsberg are chemical laced p*ss regardless of how they are served.

Show me a drink that doesn't contain chemicals. In fact, show me anything that doesn't contain chemicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I prefer getting sh1tfaced on the comfortable local park bench.

Flagons all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I can afford to, I choose not to. It's better that way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

As a single guy i find women tend not to congregate at my gaff. So I'm pretty much forced to go to pubs to meet them, no matter how economically preponderant the former situation would be. True story.

Same here, single guy but I can't afford to go out anymore. Once every two weeks for 4 pints max. I used to go out 4 nights a week when I had a decent job and lived at home. But now with my own place and crappy job that's all gone. Finding a woman does not justify the cost of going out at all.

I've never met anyone worth while in a pub or club anyway. You don't need drink to meet the ladies.

CashMoney wrote: »
    Show me a drink that doesn't contain chemicals. In fact, show me anything that doesn't contain chemicals.

:confused:

There are loads of drinks out there that don't contain chemicals.

CashMoney wrote: »

Conspiracy Theory forum is that way >>>>

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

you do realise water is a chemical dont you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Name one drink, or indeed any one item , that doesn't contain, or again isn't solely made from chemicals:cool:.

Name one drink, or indeed one any thing, that doesn't contain, or again isn't solely made from chemicals:cool:.

quarks and photons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Rents are completely destroying the pub trade. How can they bring down their prices when the rent is not coming down.
    I have not been able to afford a big session in a pub for three years or so. I like going to the pub but now I just have one or two drinks in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

i near getting sick looking at the prices in this tread.:eek:

in my local Mon - Thurs 3pints/3cans/3shorts for €10

in a pub a bit further away €4 for pints heino/bulmers/carlsberg/bud + pint bottles/shorts (every day)

3.85 for smithwicks and Guinness

i wouldnt pay any more than 4.50 a pint no matter where i was!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I start pre-drinking at around 8 Pm. 7 to 8 bottles or a nagan of southern comfort with maybe 2 bottles or 6 cans. Then have about 4 bottles (promos) or a couple of smirnoff ices in a pint glass, when in a nightclub along with a shot or two. (You'd be surprised what a couple can do to you when half in the bag :D)
    Then maybe 3 pints and a southy and red when in a pub. I'd spend usually no more than 25 to 30 on a night out.

Name one drink, or indeed any one item , that doesn't contain, or again isn't solely made from chemicals:cool:.

Hands up, I erred. :)

Should have said unhealthy chemicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Grayson wrote: »
    quarks and photons.

Only if you regard photons as items, as matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

The Brog in Cork does €3.10 pints of everything all day until eleven. If I am day drinking that's where I do it. It's usually quiet there but if I'm day drinking it's more than likely with a group of friends so i wouldn't be interested in meeting strangers until nightfall anyway.

Only if you regard photons as items, as matter.

I'm just considering them "things" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

In answer to the thread title: a resounding no.

I earn €19,665 per annum. An interesting job that is giving me amazing experience but the pay is shíte and I work a lot of long hours for it.

I'd spend around €50 on a night out so I MIGHT be able to stretch to one night out a month. (generally, I don't bother though) I've grown tired of the pub/club culture of this country so this suits me down to ground, on top of this, alcohol makes me feel very depressed. And I think alcohol is crap for the waistline, in that your diet suffers. I like cooking and would rather spend my money on cooking ingredients, TBH.

And clothes, I'd rather spend money on clothes. :)

Advertisement