Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford to drink in a pub anymore?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Hands up, I erred. :)

Should have said unhealthy chemicals.
    Eye: Causes severe eye irritation. May cause painful sensitization to light. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal
    damage.
    Skin: Causes moderate skin irritation. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
    Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with
    acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness,
    drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to
    respiratory failure.
    Inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by nausea,
    headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause narcotic effects in high
    concentration. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
    Chronic: May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Animal
    studies have reported the development of tumors. Prolonged exposure may cause liver, kidney, and heart damage.

From the MSDS for ethanol. Fair to say there's at least one harmful chemical in all booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

mackg wrote: »
    As a single guy I can think of one major advantage going out has over drinking cans in my sitting room, women.

http://tiny.cc/t3brcw

GIRLS!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Not really anymore, maybe once a month, twice at a push :(.

Before I had a mortgage though it was most Friday nights, every Saturday night and from about 2pm on Sunday 'til closing.

Happy days :D

Anyone want to buy a house ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Water for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

No, cans in the gaff all the way.... I could however murder a piggin pint right now. Only if to get me away from ironing. Sounds even geyyyyer when i type it...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT HAS MY LIFE BECOME :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I go to the pub maybe once or twice a week for pints and sometimes food.

I can afford it, but I can't afford to buy proper food for the rest of the week.

I always have fun in the pub. Go to a quiz once a week at the campus bar, and then usually will go to see a band sometime over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

mackg wrote: »
    The Brog in Cork does €3.10 pints of everything all day until eleven. If I am day drinking that's where I do it. It's usually quiet there but if I'm day drinking it's more than likely with a group of friends so i wouldn't be interested in meeting strangers until nightfall anyway.

Pity it's a hole and the pints are awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I can't. At least not around where I live. It's just too expensive - I can't justify the cost.

It's not just pubs, it's restaurants too....I'm guessing it has to do with taxes or something; but it just seems outrageous. The last time I went out for dinner they wanted three euro for a coke. For three euro I can get six times as much as they'd give me; and that's not buying wholesale.

The markup on mixed drinks is astronomical though, even compared to the 6x markup on soft drinks. I paid six euro for a 'rum and coke'.

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but it seems just as bad.

Unless you are single and trying to be some drunk girl's mistake - I woudln't bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Oh yeah, a packed pub on a saturday night where there's nowhere to sit, holding a pint at my chest and breathing stuffy fart-filled air because the pub doesn't think it needs ventilation any more. Trying to scream out a conversation over shít music. Can't beat that kind of ambiance. lol, yes factor it into the price of my drink please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

after reading this thread I'm leaving the office to go here now

http://www.brewdog.com/bars/glasgow

Tasty, strong (~8%), cheap (£3-4 a pint) and plenty of nice eye candy. Or the pub downstairs from my office if I want to drink tennants at £1.50 a pint. All in the city centre of a bigger city than Dublin. muahahhah

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

scholar007 wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, being the unsocial creature I am (and keeping strange hours) but can anyone really afford to drink in a pub anymore? I mean why pay 4 to 5 yo yos for a pint in a pub when you can buy 3 or 4 in a supermarket for the same price? Its also easier to smoke at home so I would have no incentive to go to the pub when you can sit at home and have a pint for about 1 yo yo and a smoke inside. Also you can drink for as long as you like without someone shouting at you "Time now ladies and gents, have ye no homes to go to?" - Well yes I have that is until the Government aka the banks take it off me to pay the gamblers debts the way things are going! :mad:

You smoke, you say yo yo for Euro and you moan about the government and blame them for your own failings...you won't be missed at your local. A bit cuñty but I get a major a bad vibe off you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It's 99c for 500 ml bottles of Vratislav Czech Lager in Tesco's,for those who are interested, decent brew as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The reason why Temple Bar pubs can charge those prices is that the tourists who are often from major European cities(bar UK & Med) pay extortionate prices(to us) for a pint of beer which appear slightly cheaper than their home countries. No wonder you rarely see a native Irish person drinking at a Temple Bar bar. Try getting a 6 euro pint in Paris, its actually 7 quid :)

Think of Temple Bar as a sort of international resort immune from the rest of the economy.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I go to the pub maybe once or twice a week for pints and sometimes food.

I can afford it, but I can't afford to buy proper food for the rest of the week.

I always have fun in the pub. Go to a quiz once a week at the campus bar, and then usually will go to see a band sometime over the weekend.

you go to the pub twice, the campus bar once and to see a band once, presumably at a licensed venue, no wonder you dominated the drunk thread.
    Pity it's a hole and the pints are awful

Draught cider is impossible to mess up, lager is pretty bad most places anyway although I do regret drinking the guinness in there on the occasions on which I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

why waste my own money paying bertie and brains pension.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Off the top of my head the only places that I can think of in Europe that charge more for alcohol then us is Scandinavia but they earn more money then us so it balances out.

Temple Bar is a total rip-off though, but so are most city center pubs bar the odd few like O'Reilly's under Tara Street Station that sell pints for €3.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One of the local hotels here in Enniscorthy is packed every weekend,mainly with Dubs who take advantage of cheap deals to stay there.The train station is just around the corner which saves them driving and that seems to be a big attraction.We locals find the price of the drink there more expensive than the surrounding pubs but to those used to paying Dublin prices it's a bargain.
    I remember the place during the boom and there was a queue to get into the bar,let alone the nightclub,people handed over money for drink as if it was going out of fashion.Not so much anymore as local people fill up at home and hit the nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Listen lads/ladies if your not drinking in Mac turcaills your mug. €3.50 pints, decent crowd and still in the city centre.

Advertisement