Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun for self defence ?

Options
  • 14-04-2012 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hello, my father in law had his house robbed a while ago.
    It has upset him a lot!
    I have noticed, the law on defending your own home, as now changed.
    Is it possible, to apply for a shotgun, with defending your own home in mind?
    Will the garda hand out a firearms cert for such a application?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

viper is right you wont get one for self defence. but a big dog mite do the trick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Thanks.
    I take it even if someone owned a shotgun and shot a intruder, they would still be done for man slaughter ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Before this thread is locked, Reasonable force. If an intruder comes at uou with a knife and end up with it stuck in them its their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Keelan wrote: »
    Will the garda hand out a firearms cert for such a application?

Absolutely not.

Your f-i-l needs to move to Florida, and even then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Keelan wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I take it even if someone owned a shotgun and shot a intruder, they would still be done for man slaughter ? :confused:

Thats a how long is a piece of string question,with so and too many varibles to even attempt to answer.As each situation of a shooting incident varies to the X thousand degree that no one could predict an outcome in a court of law.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement