Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help identifying this car that may hold a thief

• 14-04-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

Hope someone can help.

One of my CCTVs has attracted attention, anyone able to identify model?

In Cabinteely area and maybe out to take my car (535d)
    Have spoken with the Guards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhCFPrgQTc&feature=youtu.be

Cheers
    Redman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's a W210 Mercedes with Avantgarde wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

thanks and could be 1995 to 2002?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

huh? what am i missing ?

It looks like a taxi or limo driver trying to identify the number on a house.

there is a big obvious number of house on the front wall of the house that a driver would not miss. The passenger is shining a light directly at the CCTV nowhere else and with other robberies in the area I see a potential link.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

Was he shining a light or taking pictures do you think?

• Advertisement

mmm well if it had been photos , would have presumed we'd seen flashes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Anan1 wrote: »

Agree with this.
    redman wrote: »
    thanks and could be 1995 to 2002?

Probably. Dark colour too so not a whole pile to go on.
    Bigcheeze wrote: »
    huh? what am i missing ?

It looks like a taxi or limo driver trying to identify the number on a house.

No taxi sign on roof and would you honestly see a hackney driver's passenger shining a torch at houses (and it doesn't look like your average torch)?

Definitely casing out the area imo. Whats the clicking noise from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Anan1 wrote: »

i dunno, looking at it again, it looks to me like a 2003 > onward E-Class......, I'd be wedging in the 535d with another car if I were you.

Whats the clicking noise from?

Its the camera switching between IR and normal video mode.

I have another camera outside at another angle to catch reg's on road so leaving that with the guards only for the mo... but I couldn't tell model when spoke to the guards.

Also I noticed other thread of large diesels stolen in Cabinteely so maybe the same crew.....

thanks for input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Fair play redman, handy little set up.

With the amount of robberies going on lately, it'd definitely be worth giving the Garda a shout and mentioning a, most likely, navy Merc possibly casing houses and see if they've heard of any other sightings.

If one person reports it, not much might happen but if you're the 2nd or 3rd person to report suspicious stuff going on, it may help catch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

op is your camera visible or covert? also id install a floodlight with motion sensor if i were you... maybe lock the gates at night aswell? how about one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime-Mini-Personal-GPS-Tracker-GSM-Car-Tracking-Spy-Bug-/230674079354?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item35b53f1e7a#ht_4726wt_1103

Idbatterim wrote: »
    op is your camera visible or covert? also id install a floodlight with motion sensor if i were you... maybe lock the gates at night aswell? how about one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime-Mini-Personal-GPS-Tracker-GSM-Car-Tracking-Spy-Bug-/230674079354?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item35b53f1e7a#ht_4726wt_1103

Thanks for that.

Cameras are visible but good and load up into cloud...
    thinking the same on the gates and have a flood light but only detects those who come into the driveway.

thanks for the link.... the car does have a tracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thanks for that.

Cameras are visible but good and load up into cloud...
    thinking the same on the gates and have a flood light but only detects those who come into the driveway.

Fair play to you for being proactive here. Did your camera pick up the reg??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Might be worth you parking your cars the other way round in the drive for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

Christ I'd hate to have to live with this everyday. What's the betting that these gangs follow these threads? Hope they back off your car. Far too many of these threads on boards unfortunately.

yes, I presume they look at these threads ....
    they will get whatever car they want, just presume they will go for easier targets

With a community like boards motors, its great to share and see how we can help keep ourselves aware of whats going on and you never know how it might help the guards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

No taxi sign on roof and would you honestly see a hackney driver's passenger shining a torch at houses (and it doesn't look like your average torch)?

Lots of them use handheld lamps similar to what the cops have, but if it's a passenger then yes it seems odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

My local chipper delivery guy does a similar thing when he's looking for the right number house to drop off at. Do you know what time did this happened at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Video says 5.07am....

Yes 5am and big house number is on front of pillar so no need for flash...

• Advertisement

The whole thing is a bit suspicious to say the least.

If he was a thief checkingout your house there is a chance that he saw the camera and decided that it was too much hassle. Visible cameras are there to scare people off (in most cases). Either if the person comes back of for future situations, if I were you I would use that visible camera as bate. If I had the time I would install another camera facing the street but on a different angle, this time, make it hard to spot, so next time someone does something like this you might be able to get a good shot at the plates/model/driver. So while the thief is focussed checking out one camera you can get him with the other. Another alternative is have a dash camera on one car parked on the street, but this work better if you had 3 cars as 2 of them sleep inside your property. I think putting the less expensive car infront of the more expensive one to block your garage exit is a good idea too. Placing the dash camera on the rear/front of the cheaper car is a good alternative. Also, buy a set of BMW original keys (broken or without any codes in it) on ebay or somewhere and put them in a visible place, not visible from the outside but visible enough from the inside once you are in the house, this is incase someone breaks into your house to get the keys, they will likely take those keys instead of the good ones and waste a bit of time trying to figure out why they dont work...

But that might be too much hassle, I dont know, I know this is what I would do, however I might be a bit too paranoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bohrio wrote: »
    Also, buy a set of BMW original keys (broken or without any codes in it) on ebay or somewhere and put them in a visible place, not visible from the outside but visible enough from the inside once you are in the house, this is incase someone breaks into your house to get the keys, they will likely take those keys instead of the good ones and waste a bit of time trying to figure out why they dont work...

If someone went as far as to break into my house to take my car keys then Im pretty sure Id prefer that they take the right ones first time rather than pissing them off and having them come back into the house a second time to find the real keys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

As a matter of interest what made you watch the video at that time? It would take hours to view over the videos of the previous night every day:eek:

djimi wrote: »
    If someone went as far as to break into my house to take my car keys then Im pretty sure Id prefer that they take the right ones first time rather than pissing them off and having them come back into the house a second time to find the real keys...

That depends. Most of the times they wont bother. Specially if you have a house alarm etc. They might come back another day or not but this is things are just there to make it difficult for them. Otherwise you might as well leave the keys in the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what made you watch the video at that time? It would take hours to view over the videos of the previous night every day:eek:

probably record from motion sensors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bohrio wrote: »
    That depends. Most of the times they wont bother. Specially if you have a house alarm etc. They might come back another day or not but this is things are just there to make it difficult for them. Otherwise you might as well leave the keys in the car

I would say that most of the time if they have gone to the bother of getting into the house once then they wont hesitate to go back in again. I know personally Id prefer them to find what they want the first time rather than come upstairs in a foul mood to get the keys from me...

In principle I agree about making things difficult for them, and I have never been a believer in leaving keys visible through a letterbox (as you say may as well leave them in the car as do that). But if you are going to give them enough incentive to actually break into your house then I dont see what you have to gain from putting yourself in danger just to inconvenience them by a couple of minutes. Its only a lump of insured metal at the end of the day.

Could have motion detection...

Cant see if possible from cam, but if it is, I would close the gates and lock them with a U lock. I would assume they wouldn't want to damage the car if the were planning on taking it.

My cameras have Audio, Motion and PIR detection and can record constantly or in bite size pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

you have to allow for when the missus is there on her own, so best have good alarm, good doorlocks ( plural important the standard 5 point front door assembly is not that good suppliment it witha good surfacemount lock)

also extra security latches on the windows, often easily forced by lever bar if not fitted with extra locks.

at the end of that if they do force their way in let the keys be easily taken from a wall hook in the hall and give them no reason to come near your family.

actually kindof all that djimi was saying :o

burglars deserve to die and should leave their rights behind them when they enter the home IMHO, the devestation they can cause lasts years.

Pity Judges never seem to get this.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Do you own the car or does the car own you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

john47832 wrote: »

What's that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

You clearly don't care much for your property that costs you a substantial amount of money?

MCMLXXV wrote: »

It means the dude probably needs to have a look at himself. I'm picturing him intensely looking through hours of meaningless footage each day for any flicker of a threat, and when found I am further picturing him batting down the hatches as if the whole world is against him and everyone wants to steal his car (which most likely is insured and seems overly important). If given a chance he would like to post high tech voice and face recognition cameras up and down his street in order to reaffirm his paranoia.

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but fcuk me if I would lose a nights sleep over a car.

n1ck wrote: »
    You clearly don't care much for your property that costs you a substantial amount of money?

On the contrary, I own property, care for it and value it, my property doesnt own me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but fcuk me if I would lose a nights sleep over a car.

It's quite possible he's more worried about his house being broken into regarding the safety of his family. Have you ever been burgled? It's not a nice feeling.

• Advertisement

Thats a fair assumption, however reading the thread im sure he is pretty worried about the car in this case TT

In Cabinteely area and maybe out to take my car (535d)

Also I noticed other thread of large diesels stolen in Cabinteely so maybe the same crew.....
    yes, I presume they look at these threads ....
    they will get whatever car they want, just presume they will go for easier targets

With a community like boards motors, its great to share and see how we can help keep ourselves aware of whats going on and you never know how it might help the guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

easy now john, the software flags events it would take him seconds to find that footage.

Expensive car, relatively cheap security arrangement to mind it. Wierd and possesive? i don't think so.

then he comes on here to share information and perhaps get a little in return and you catagorise him as a materialistic paranoid.

Guess what, there are thieves out there to get his car!!!!!!!

jasus give the chap a break! ;)

I have no exact knowledge of the software used, but I'm pretty sure it cannot distinguish between a cat piddling on the bmw alloys and a car full of local psychopaths...

Anyways i'm just saying it as I sees it - No disrespect intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

No i wouldn't but it would have a motion detection software.

I personally wouldn't blame somebody for having cctv on his house, looks like a nice st looking at the house across the road.

The house/car doesn't own him, but prevention or helping bring somebody to justice if a crime is committed, is sometimes piece of mind.

I doubt he goes throw 10hrs of footage everyday to know who is snooping.

Cars are a huge target for thieves at the moment particularly 3.5ltr BMW's lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Thats a fair assumption, however reading the thread im sure he is pretty worried about the car in this case TT

Fair play to him. If more people thought like he did then there would be less cars stolen and less houses broken into as a result.

They aren't exactly going to hotwire it, they would need keys to steal it. Where are they going to get the keys....

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35678

Not to scare anyone but just as an example, unfortunately it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Would you ever give the fella a break, how would you feel if some scumbag broke into your house while you slept??

Seeing that you like making assumptions, here's mine, your just jealous that this guy has a nice car and his security set up is probably worth more than your car

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Would you ever give the fella a break, how would you feel if some scumbag broke into your house while you slept??

Seeing that you like making assumptions, here's mine, your just jealous that this guy has a nice car and his security set up is probably worth more than your car

Bit of a baseless childish point of view...

Hi
    Thanks for all comments and I do appreciate all the input. If the car goes the car goes... is my personal view, but if a few of us can share information through a forum like this I hope it might lead to arrests and a better community.
    If we can in some way prevent burglaries or car thefts the I think that is good. Using technology for good is great to see. Also when i can go to a forum like this and get an answer in minutes it shows how fantastic this community is and if this can save time in interacting/ helping the guards even better.
    Ive had the camera for a couple of years, they mostly capture lovely images of foxes for my kids to see, i happened upon one obvious dodgy video thanks to the software which led me to post here . Most of the tine I prefer to spend hours with my eyes under clear skies with my telescope not obsessing with tech nor in fear of material aspects... Thanks
    Redman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So a bit like yours then?

Your calling me childish?

Have a look back over your posts and have another think about it

So a bit like yours then?

The difference being that I actually based mine on what was posted on the thread

MCMLXXV wrote: »

It means the dude probably needs to have a look at himself. I'm picturing him intensely looking through hours of meaningless footage each day for any flicker of a threat, and when found I am further picturing him batting down the hatches as if the whole world is against him and everyone wants to steal his car (which most likely is insured and seems overly important). If given a chance he would like to post high tech voice and face recognition cameras up and down his street in order to reaffirm his paranoia.

Since we are on the subject of baseless points of view.....

Your calling me childish?

Have a look back over your posts and have another think about it

Childish in calling someone jealous.. and baseless on the fact that you dont know what the person has ... please try bring some common sense to your posts

.......... No disrespect intended

John made his point but did clarify he wasn't having a go :)
    ......... your just jealous that this guy has a nice car and his security set up is probably worth more than your car

That's awful sh1te to be seeing on here.

I have another camera outside at another angle to catch reg's on road so leaving that with the guards only for the mo..............

No doubt you know but if you know the reg you can get the make and model from the net, presuming it's not on fake plates :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement