Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Broadband keeps crashing

Options
  • 14-04-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

For the past three years we have a Vodafone home bundle which includes Vodafone broadband. However despite living in a rather urbanized area, our broadband strength is poor and our internet collapses repeatedly.
    Nevertheless it returns within less than a minute but regardless of this I am not happy with the quality of the service we're receiving in this day and age. For example, the majority of our Skype calls fail as the broadband collapses.
    Is this a case of Vodafone being poor broadband providers or are all providers similarly poor?
    I'm unsure as to how I should tackle this, can I do signal strength tests with other companies before I switch or is that even an option?
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What exactly do you mean by crashes, or collapses? An Internet connection can't crash. Ethernet or Wifi connection to the modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gavmurf89 wrote: »
    For the past three years we have a Vodafone home bundle which includes Vodafone broadband
    I had no landline either.

stephendevlin, you're talking about a completely different service. Your experience with poor 3G signal is irrelevant to a DSL service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Is this a case of Vodafone being poor broadband providers or are all providers similarly poor?

Not sure if you are referring to Vodafone 3G service or DSL but we'll assume you mean DSL for now.

If your line is poor then all the DSL providers will have similar difficulties with your line so the right course of action is to get the line fixed first.

Is the line noisy when making standard telephone calls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

For the past three years we have a Vodafone home bundle which includes Vodafone broadband. However despite living in a rather urbanized area, our broadband strength is poor and our internet collapses repeatedly.
    Nevertheless it returns within less than a minute but regardless of this I am not happy with the quality of the service we're receiving in this day and age. For example, the majority of our Skype calls fail as the broadband collapses.
    I'm unsure as to how I should tackle this, can I do signal strength tests with other companies before I switch or is that even an option?

Howdy, Where you located ? coz I have the exact same problem. It disconnects 2-3 times a night...
    Sent you PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

jor el wrote: »
    stephendevlin, you're talking about a completely different service. Your experience with poor 3G signal is irrelevant to a DSL service.

Appologies missed the home bundle bit & didnt read it properly assumed it was a 3g issue while skimming over it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Try and eliminate the router itself from the issue. If you could get a loan of another one for a day or 2 and see if that makes any difference. The routers that ISP's give out (assuming its a vodafone router) can sometimes be an issue. Have heard of peoples internet dropping before and this as the result.
    If you can get a lend of one its a free way of making sure the ISP is at fault

PS it doesnt have to be a vodafone router you use to test it either can be most/any router (dsl)

Appologies again for not reading it properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

living in Dublin North, have the ADSL connection since IOLBB, then BT now Vodafone. Roughly 10 years, never had any problems.

Recently been getting line disconnections, have contacted V.F at least 5 times in the last 2 months about it. At one stage 3 weeks ago a really switched on tech support guy did a full reset on the broadband line and it sorted itself for a few weeks. Disconnections again most notable in Xbox live games, otherwise the line drops during internet usage, but returns, in xbox live it causes a whole disconnection and a loss of game connection.

This week again, disconnections. Tried 3 modems, 1 was the original IOL modem which worked perfectly for years, now on the 2nd Zyxel replacement that has been sent from VF. So the problem is isolated to the phoneline which has never had any probs.

Really at our wits end, one tech support guy even mentioned our distance to the exchange. Well the exhange hasn't moved, nor has the house in the last 10 years and it has worked fine.

At least I know I'm not alone having this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Hello,

I have the same problem. I have a bundle with Vodafone which is home phone and broadband. I have had not much problems with it up till now. Tonight my internet keeps going down and take a minute or two to come back. It is seems to be either 'looking up' or 'connected to!' I am usiing it without cables currently although I have the DSL connection available with the leads and stuff. I am using it wirelessly at the moment.
    It is annoying as I too wish to use Skype but how can one have a conversation if this internet keeps dropping?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Every dsl user should know their line stats - that is the key to knowing where your problems lie. (that's assuming of course that you have established that it is a line problem and not a wifi issue) interruptions can be caused by poor snr. Which in turn can be caused by a speed that the line is not capable of handling.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

dub45 wrote: »
    Every dsl user should know their line stats - that is the key to knowing where your problems lie. (that's assuming of course that you have established that it is a line problem and not a wifi issue) interruptions can be caused by poor snr. Which in turn can be caused by a speed that the line is not capable of handling.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 384 3072
    MaxRate(kbps) 1112 10528
    NoiseMargin(dB) 16.0 22.3
    Attenuation(dB) 22.0 12.0
    Power(dBm) 1.9 8.2

Are these normal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement