Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst winter ever?

Options
  • 14-04-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

This is my fifth winter surfing and the worst one yet by a long shot. It just seems to be non stop west winds. Apart from a couple of good weeks in March its been a terrible winter. We have really good waves here I know, but there can be serious waits between the good days. How have the rest of ye faired this winter?
    PS Need a mini gun for Indonesia if anyone selling one, around 6' 6"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

I didnt get to surf up til January this year due to illness.
    I think I can safely say the last few months have been absolutely epic. not just because I hadnt got to surf for a few months, but I can think of 5 sessions in particular that stack up to the last 10+ years. You just have to be watching for those days and go when its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Had some of the best surfs ever this winter so completely disagree:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yea had some epic surfs this winter, although i didn't get out as much as the last one due to college, and I remember the period from christmasd til now being a bit better, but that was only because there was a particular spot working a lot. Just a case of knowing where to go when there's a howling westerly this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

December and early January were pretty bad alright as it was constant storms sitting on top of us. It did improve big-time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rossdoc81

I'm not saying there wasn't epic days, the two weeks at the start of march were the best two weeks of surf I've ever had, and I know a place that works in west winds. But there has been a serious lack of S-SE winds this winter, which most places where I surf (sligo) need to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Rossdoc81 wrote: »
    This is my fifth winter surfing and the worst one yet by a long shot. It just seems to be non stop west winds. Apart from a couple of good weeks in March its been a terrible winter. We have really good waves here I know, but there can be serious waits between the good days. How have the rest of ye faired this winter?
    PS Need a mini gun for Indonesia if anyone selling one, around 6' 6"

i couldn't disagree more. was chatting about this with a few lads last week. it's been one of the best autumn - winters we've had in years.

long sustained clean swells with favourable winds. a week of perfection in october, good few solid days in november. dec quiet enough. jan, feb and march loaded with surf, some nice small clean stuff on the beaches and some nice overhead action on the reefs on the larger days. the reefs in particular in march were just firing like you'd dream about

we even got half a week of lovely waist high waves during that unseasonally hot week a few weeks back.

we've been spoiled, a summer of flatness probably awaits :D

enjoy indosnesia, would love to get down there sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Didn't really get to commit 100% until January, I understand about the westerlys but when it's been good, its been fantastic. The most memorable for me was that week of the Mullaghmore swell a few weeks ago. Just seemed to keep going, sheltered spots were just heaven. Also, how lucky were we to have pretty decent swell in March with the hottest weather I've seen in this country in years for consecutive days.

I do remember some good ones too in September, October and November but I wasn't out enough to judge on the whole.

Had a great time yesterday too, just some nice waves coming through. Lets hope summer delivers a few surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

about ~5 surfs since last september.
    Only remember two of them being decent enough sessions.
    And I'm gonna be stuck in ballina with co-op until january... so not likely of having any sessions again until sometime jan 2013 :(
    College stinks :/

This january was dreadful, but as soon as college began (around the 25th) the conditions improved drastically!!! I hate you weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

And I'm gonna be stuck in ballina with co-op until january... so not likely of having any sessions again until sometime jan 2013 :(
    College stinks
    Ballina in Mayo? Would have thought you're close to some decent surf around there!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

[Rasta] wrote: »
    about ~5 surfs since last september.
    Only remember two of them being decent enough sessions.
    College stinks :/

This january was dreadful, but as soon as college began (around the 25th) the conditions improved drastically!!! I hate you weather!

Ballina is only a half hour to an hour from plenty of surf, unless you mean the Ballina down in Tipp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ballina is only a half hour to an hour from plenty of surf, unless you mean the Ballina down in Tipp?

The one in mayo. but I don't have a car, nor will I have my surf gear with me when I head up there in may..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Killer.

Ah sorry man, thats a feckin sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Must disagree there op. Kicked off in Aug with first hurricane swell and has been goin ever since. Bloody brilliant for me. There's always somewhere that the wind will be offshore or cross. Best sessions were a couple that just came together dispite forecasts to the contrary. had a great autumn/winter/spring. Almost feel delinquent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

I would have to agree about it been poor down here in cork , I thought with the hour change I would be getting a few evening surfs in and nothing yet . As usual west is best , I can see alot of trips to Kerry in the coming months as soon as I can get my camper to pass the doe that is

Advertisement