Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Namco Bandai: “We Have the Best Portfolio of RPG Titles”

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I really doubt that, but it's cute you think otherwise.
    Don't sell yourself short.
    gizmo wrote: »
    Aye, that's just what it seemed like. :)
    Well I certainly didn't mean it. I've worked with some production companies and don't want to be shooting myself in the foot if I ever go back to them. :D
    All true but it's not really what I was getting at with regard to gamers reactions to publishers. In itself, which publisher publishes a game really doesn't mean anything to a gamer but the simple fact that they're doing it means we, as gamers, will get to play them when we otherwise may have not. When a publisher does this with a smaller profile or niche title then I think it should be acknowledged, that's all really. :)

Yeah I agree with all that. I suppose I could have just elaborated to begin with and saved some time, but it filled up the day nicely. :D

At the risk of dragging this thread back on topic, are there many studios that could compete for bragging rights to the best RPG portfolio? I know people suggested Atlus, but even though they do have a few of my favourite RPG's under their belts, the fact that so many of the games are Japanese centric means that they don't really travel well. Some are so completely off the wall as to scare off new comers and others simply remain unknown to gamers for the most part. So as a result, financially speaking, they don't really stand up to Namco Bandai.

I can't really comment on the majority of the games themselves, as I've never heard of a lot of them and I really can't tell from their website which ones are RPG's or not. So do those who support Atlus think it's RPG collection is really the best out there?

And are there any other companies that could step up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

humanji wrote: »
    At the risk of dragging this thread back on topic, are there many studios that could compete for bragging rights to the best RPG portfolio? I know people suggested Atlus, but even though they do have a few of my favourite RPG's under their belts, the fact that so many of the games are Japanese centric means that they don't really travel well. Some are so completely off the wall as to scare off new comers and others simply remain unknown to gamers for the most part. So as a result, financially speaking, they don't really stand up to Namco Bandai.

I can't really comment on the majority of the games themselves, as I've never heard of a lot of them and I really can't tell from their website which ones are RPG's or not. So do those who support Atlus think it's RPG collection is really the best out there?

And are there any other companies that could step up?
    I can't think of any companies who are still going which have a portfolio with as much variety as Namco Bandi anyway.

Reekwind mentioned Interplay earlier and with the early D&D based output from Bioware and Black Isle, combined with the Fallout licence, they would be contenders if they still existed.

Bethesda, with the Elder Scrolls and later Fallout games, may warrant a mention at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Don't sell yourself short.

oh don't worry, I'm not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So do those who support Atlus think it's RPG collection is really the best out there?

In terms of quality, what they produce is absolute gold. The Etrian Odyssey series is the best dungeon crawler out there. Radiant Historia was a fantastic new IP and the Shin Megami Tensei series is just pure gold and the last two Persona games in that series happen to be the best RPGs in the last 5 years, hands down. That's not to mention the third party games they publish. In terms of quality and quantity they have the others beat. Not in sales, but meh as long as they keep pumping out the goods I'll keep buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

It would be very nice though if Atlus would stop re-issuing and remaking Persona games and give us a new console SMT game to play. Enough of this kawaii oni-sama stuff. I want me some more grimdark post-apocalyptic demon summoning games that aren't on a handheld.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mindkiller wrote: »
    It would be very nice though if Atlus would stop re-issuing and remaking Persona games and give us a new console SMT game to play. Enough of this kawaii oni-sama stuff. I want me some more grimdark post-apocalyptic demon summoning games that aren't on a handheld.

Can't agree any less. I think it's great that the west is finally seeing a version of Persona 1 that hasn't been butched and Innocent Sin finally getting an english language release. Anyway we got the excellent Strange Journey in the main series. I don't care what system they are on their as long as we are getting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Personally I love the fact that Atlus have been supporting the handhelds as much as they have. I just don't have the time to drop 80-100 hours or more into a home console game these days.

Advertisement