Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog problem

• 14-04-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

My current neighbors have a group of dogs i believe to be lurchers, about four maybe five. these dogs have terrorized me and my other neighbors for as long as i have lived there which is nearly four years now. the owners are just not open to discussion and refuse to even concede that their dogs did anything wrong they sometimes go away for a few weeks and things return to normal. people walk by and children are out playing all the time which is nice to see. when the dogs arrive back with their owners you can literally hear the windows and doors bang shut. no children are let out and people resort to cars and walk elsewhere. i have been surrounded by these dogs on several occasions and i only go out when i have something like a stick with me. a few people have been attacked and four or five dogs have been killed. twice that amount survived the attacks. The gardai have been called due to the lack of public safety however they are met with sorry dog wardens job yet he is never around. i only post this because another dog just died from an attack at my gate and these dogs frighten me to the point where i am constantly looking over my shoulder when outside.

what can be done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Contact the Warden at your nearest Pound - if it's Kildare then it is run by the ISPCA. If they will not act then go & see your Local Authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

That is madness, are these people pure scum or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

yea i know. its not right but unfortunately fear can be a great weapon and its been used in this instance. nobody is willing to cry wolf fro fear of the re precautions

A few residents need to go to the Council & see if something can be done whilst protecting your identity. However at the end of the day it is the Gardai who enforce the law. You could pay a visit to your local station & insist on seeing a senior officer - again this can be done without revealing your identity. If your complaint is not taken seriously or acted upon then make a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman. The Gardai can't refuse to act because the matter involves dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Damokc

modsnip - read forum charter....or report them to the authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

An attack by a dog is an assault so the Guards can be involved at a criminal level for that.

The dog warden is probably useless, I have had experience of our local one and he told me himself over the phone that he only collects dogs that people have restrained, sure he wouldnt run after a dog!

Your best bet here is for a group of neighbours to get onto both the local TDs and the local media - so whatever local papers - draw lots of attention to the problem. The local TDs will be able to get the dog warden to get his finger out as well.

However, as a group I do not understand why you and your neighbours do not do something directly about this? As in, approach the neighbours? Sorry, saw your post re fear.

Also, if dogs are getting killed and people getting terrorised, I dont understand how the Guards are doing nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I think now is the time to act, the longer you leave it the harder it will become.

You have said another dog has been attacked and killed. How long before it is a child? How many times do you hear about a deadly attack by a dog, only to hear that the dog has attacked previously.

Fear can be a weapon in itself but people need to stand up for themselves. As a previous poster has said you need to speak to someone in authority and explain the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

mod note - just to remind posters advocating killing or violence etc is against the forum rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Wow this is a terrible situation to be in OP. If this is affecting a lot of people and these animals have been responsible for killing other people's pets, it could be a good idea to get together with your neighbours and go to the Gardai or the local dog warden. It's people like these that give certain breeds of dogs a bad reputation IMO, they shouldn't even have dogs if they're going to allow them to behave like this. I hope this situation is resolved quickly.

yea i hope it is dealt with soon too. the main problem is that i am the only one who feels as strongly about it in the area. everyone else has bought in to the scare tactics but i don't scare easily. i'm not going to try and rally support on my own because i've been told before to basically keep your neck in and "say nothing". I've had enough and i'm going to deal with it this time. has anybody had any like experiences with neighbors that were simply ignorant of other people around them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'm not one to normally cry think of the children but in this instance I wouldn't be surprised if a person was the next thing to be attacked (someone defending their own dog), something needs to be done and fast. I would keep on at the gardai and dog warden, if they say it isin't their area and fob you of to someone else then ask to speak to someone higher. It's illegal to allow a dog to wander with no supervision, no collar or tags. Those dogs could easily injure someone or cause a car accident and they've already killed other dogs, if I was the owner of those dogs I wouldn't sleep until the owners had been punished and the dogs taken off them.

Is it going to take an attack on a person for the gardai or dog warden to do something, why wait for that when the problem can be nipped in the bud now. Hope you have better luck soon OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Keep a log of everything OP including **** that has already happenned, keep it signed and dated.

i'm going to try all of the above. thanks for the posts guys. i'll keep you informed of any developments. i'm just dumbfounded that a dog owner would be so stupid and callus as to allow their dogs to kill others right outside their property

One other option could be to go to the press especially the Tabloids. Try & take some photos or even better some video. Maybe one of the papers would send someone there to take a look for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Discodog wrote: »
    One other option could be to go to the press especially the Tabloids. Try & take some photos or even better some video. Maybe one of the papers would send someone there to take a look for themselves.
    Good idea but The only problem i see there is the fact that people seem to be scared by these people so they will want to know who reported it and there might be more problems or retaliation because of it.

I know what id do in this situation but to save a banning ill keep it to myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Just a thought, as the OP has has no joy in dealing with the Gardai, dog warden etc., would it not be a good idea to contact their TD. After all, are they not there to deal with problems in their local community?

i'm going to keep annoying the people in power and see where i get, beyond physical violence i can't do much more without giving my name and such. thanks for the ideas. i'll let you all know how it pans out.

Advertisement