Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panel Beater

• 14-04-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Last week I reversed into a 1998 Opel Vectra and dented the panel above the rear drivers side wheel. It is about the size of a dinner plate. It was entirely my fault.

The guy got a couple of quotes - both over E360. Clearly the guys are just buying new panels and spraying them. Anyone know if I could get a panel beater or a second hand part and get it done more reasonably? I'm in kinsale but anywhere in Cork would be ok. Or is E360 a reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's not your decision what parts are used. The other guy is entitled to replacment parts. Although, I doubt anyones going to replace a quarter panel, it's more likely that even at that price it's being repaired and resprayed. It's a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Quarter panel? Price doesn't sound too bad. Whatever option he accepts, you can be almost certain that he won't be spending 360 on a 98 Vectra. Dent probably won't get fixed!

I had a tip last year except I damaged a rear bumper. The victim wanted 450 for a repair. I priced the job myself and sourced a clean scrap bumper. I told him that either my panel beater would fix/paint it, he could claim on my insurance, or he could have EUR100 cash and sort it himself. Took the cash :D.

You could pay anything from 150 - thousands for this job. Quality normally correlates to price. I'd say 360 is beating the dent out, skim of filler, prep and paint. Replacing with a new panel is a big enough job, needs cutting/welding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Owen wrote: »
    It's not your decision what parts are used.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off or pay less than I should - likewise the other guy is very happy as long as it is fixed to a pretty good standard - he's not trying to make money either.

The reality is that the car is not worth much more than E360 so I was hoping someone would know a cheaper route than buying a brand new panel.

If thats the price then thats the price and I have no choice - just here to see if there are options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/ever-ready-crash-repairs-dublin

Had to get some welding done on my car a while back and went to this guy after finding a thread on boards recommending him. I had quotes from 3 other places and he was able to beat the lowest quote by more than half. Even gave me an option to reduce the price more by avoiding a full spray job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Unfortuantely I'm in Cork Zil !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have heard a lot of good comments about that dude..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

donalh087 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to rip anyone off or pay less than I should - likewise the other guy is very happy as long as it is fixed to a pretty good standard - he's not trying to make money either.

The reality is that the car is not worth much more than E360 so I was hoping someone would know a cheaper route than buying a brand new panel.

If thats the price then thats the price and I have no choice - just here to see if there are options.

360 euro wouldn't replace a quarter panel on a vectra, either new or secondhand. There is days and days of work in that. To fit a new quarter panel is likely to run to 1000 euro or more. The price quoted to you is consistent with beating out / filling / painting, not replacing.

If you shop around you might get a better price, but since it's someone else's car and you are in the wrong (you say), unfortunately you are not really in a position to haggle.

Advertisement