Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 12 month J1 visa- help!

Options
  • 14-04-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

HI, I have my interview in the embassy next week, does anyone who has had theirs this year have any tips or headsup on what they will ask me as its worrying me! I have all the paperwork , funds, forms etc just what to expect when I arrive there thats all Im thinking about ! thanks :)

- just for example whats the procedure when u go in
    -what do they ask you
    -is it intense
    that sort of stuff :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dave2k10

Adrianno28 wrote: »
    HI, I have my interview in the embassy next week, does anyone who has had theirs this year have any tips or headsup on what they will ask me as its worrying me! I have all the paperwork , funds, forms etc just what to expect when I arrive there thats all Im thinking about ! thanks :)

- just for example whats the procedure when u go in
    -what do they ask you
    -is it intense
    that sort of stuff :)

You go through security similar to Airport security, but its Americans who make you feel like some sort of terrorist. If you are bringing a bag, have as little as possible in it (if possible, just bring yourself and your paperwork) because they will search through everything!
    Its fairly laid back inside, you take a ticket when you go in so try get there abit before your appointment. You'll get called up to a window (similar to that in a bank), they'll take your paperwork, give you a leaflet out your rights etc and ask you to sit down again. Then they'll call you up and ask you about where you're going, where you're staying, what do you plan to work at etc. Depending on who you get at the window, they could be the nicest person in the world, or they'll quiz you on your rights and what you are doing when you come back from the states (usually depends if you are in your final year). You'll be in there for about an hour, with about 40/50 other J1ers, like an A&E waiting room. Its absolutely nothing to worry about, unless you've ever been in trouble in the States or over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

Thanks to all who gave me advice, got my visa and all no hassle, heading out june 5th ... sound

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Adrianno28 wrote: »
    Thanks to all who gave me advice, got my visa and all no hassle, heading out june 5th ... sound

Best of luck. Where you headed?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

Im heading to Wisconsin, I was never there but Iv heard its cool... are u going away for the Year J1 as well?

Advertisement