Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going from Red to Blonde

• 14-04-2012 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I have been dying my hair red for almost two years now, and while I love it, I think I want to go to blonde highlights like I had before, or maybe balayage! Just wondering how expensive this is going to be to strip, put brown back in and then highlights over? My hair is naturally brown but I assume I'll have to strip it..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Brazzer

Hi OP, i've been on the hunt for a bargain in hairdressing this weekend and while I was pricing I saw an offer in 'the pink scissors' hair salon in ballymun, check them out on fb, I noticed it because it was something I looked to have done years ago in peter mark and at the time I was quoted 150pounds for and these guys were doing it for 99 euro, think it was a full strip, conditioning treatment and possibly a cut for 99e, I thought it was cheap and only because of my experience years ago, hope this is of some help.... p.s, the salon used to be called zen incase you can't find it but it's defo on fb :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

if you are going from red to blonde,you are going to need at least 3 full heads of highlights to get it a clean blonde.red is the hardest colour to remove from you hair so the more times you dyed it the harder it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Before you go in to strip your hair use ColourB4. Its available in quite a lot of Boots stores. It will release some of the colour in your hair without damaging it so you won't have to bleach it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Thanks all, I don't want to go completely blonde, just have highlights in. At present it's an all over red.

Can I strip my hair myself or possible use a product to release most of the dye and then put brown over it with an at home colour, and let the hairdresser do the lights??

• Advertisement

Yes you can. Use ColourB4

Yes you can. Use ColourB4

Ah, OK, sorry I thought that was just a "softener" that made it easier for the hairdresser to strip! Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Blissy

I had to same idea as you last year. My hair had been all over red for several years but I got bored with it and decided to get highlights. Just be very very sure its what you want because I regret it so much now. I used the B4 colour to strip my hair of the red and it went a kinda weird mild carrot colour. Had to leave it that way for over a week to let my hair recover a bit, then got it highlighted several times by a professional, taking 4hrs to do the 1st time.

The condition of my hair was pretty bad after it all, not as bad as complete straw but the ends were fairly bad, had to get a few inches off after a while. Now I'm not the sort of person to mistreat my hair, rarely blow dry or straighten, use moroccan oil and professional conditions but nothing helped, it looked very unhealthy and no matter how many times I got it done I was convinced there was a hint of ginger to it. To add to it everyone kept comment on how much more unique and pretty the red was :(. I'm now back to red after dropping 180 euro in the hairdressers and I say it'll be another year before my hair is back to normal.

I'm not try to put you off (though it probably sound like that) just make sure its really what you want and that your prepared to put a lot of money and time into your hair. I've been blonde before so thought it would be fairly simple. I'm red for life now!

Have to say that sounds like a pretty bad way to go about getting your hair done.

Colour b4 doesnt cause damage to your hair at all really. I used it and dyed my hair the next day and it was fine. Plus, if it had caused any damage, a week wouldn't be enough time for anything to have changed.

Going blonde always causes serious damage to your hair. You probably should have just dyed it a very light golden brown and just gradually highlighted it.

Advertisement