Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help?

Options
  • 14-04-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all, my friends have an 8 yr old child who is paralyzed from just under her armpits, she can use her arms and hands but wears a back brace to help with her posture. For the past three years she has been riding my 14.2hh cob, we started off with someone on either side of her and a person leading. Now she rides on her own with myself leading, we usually stay in the field or the arena. She has trotted a bit with someone beside her and only for the length of the arena.

Here's our dilemma, she is HORSE MAD and her best friend started riding a year and a half ago and is now jumping. So this has upset the wee girl terribly as she wants to do what her friend can, she doesn't want to be different as she put it. Now we know there will be a lot of things she will not be able to do because of her disability but I would love to take her somewhere for lessons to help her advance a bit, to let her see that although she might not be able to do what her friend does, that she can do more than what I do with her. I know that there are RDA groups in Ireland, we are in Donegal so Im not sure if there are any in the county, even a lesson with someone who understands the restrictions of her disability but who could bring her onto a better level than I can would be great.

We are going to some of the equestrian events during the paralympics so I know that she will get great inspiration from that, and I also know she will think well if they can do it so can I,

but I want to make sure that we go to the right place so if any of ye have any ideas of a good riding instructor in the North West Id be really grateful for any advice

Thanks in advance
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I know Deanes Farm in Bruckless caters for the disabled as I rode there for a few years. I'm not sure how far they advanced though as they were usually the lesson after mine.

I'm not even sure if they're still doing them as I heard the owner is quite poorly at the moment but I'm sure if you ring them, you will be able to find out more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Try giving these a call, not in your neck of the woods but should be able to recommend somone/somewhere.

http://www.festinalente.ie/

P.S - She sounds like a fantastic gutsy child & great to see that she gets alot out of horses!

Googled & found..

http://www.lenamorestables.net/aboutus.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Hi there

Sup_dude we did go to Bruckless before and it was grand but it took us almost two hours to get there and to be honest the roads were cat, I would prefer to try Letterkenny and Derry direction as the shorter spent in one position in the car the better for her, she has family close to Letterkenny so if she was staying there for a night I could pick her up on the way to the horsies.

Marley123, yup we have been in contact with festina and hope to get up there during the summer, it is a bit of a trip but I know it would be great for her.

I did ring lenamore today and to be honest I was not impressed, some young girl answered and said she was in charge of the place (the owner is away for ten days) and when I asked her what level of disabilities they taught one of her replies was they taught 'a woman who's kinda paralyzed and who's not right in the head' :eek:
    I know of the owner and Im sure she would be annoyed that whoever she left in charge of the place spoke like that so Im gonna give them a call when shes back.

And she is a great kid, she was injured in an accident almost four years ago and so remembers when she could walk so sometimes its very hard for her, but to be honest I doubt any adult could cope the way she has, makes me stop whinging I tell ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Thats a disgraceful response from them! - Seriously obviously one to cross off the list,

have been googling like mad to try to help. below should 100% be able to help recommend somewhere,!

http://paraequestrianireland.com/site/index.php/contact-us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

http://rdai.org/

This should be helpful. They are an umberella group, each RDA group may be slightly different in its aims.

It's great that you are letting her experience horses through your cob but I'm wondering if you would need specific insurance?

Insurance companies can be slippery enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Hey OP,

I used to volunteer with the RDA in Necarne Castle in Irvinestown, Co. Fermanagh. It was a good few years ago now but Im sure if you call the office someone will point you in the right direction.

I know its still a trek for you but as I said they might know some where closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

Try Ashlee Riding Stables in Strabane:

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Ashlee-Riding-Centre-Strabane-P2379

Julie Duffy owns the yard and is involved with the RDA in Northern Ireland so should be able to cater for your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Hi all, my friends have an 8 yr old child who is paralyzed from just under her armpits, she can use her arms and hands but wears a back brace to help with her posture. For the past three years she has been riding my 14.2hh cob, we started off with someone on either side of her and a person leading. Now she rides on her own with myself leading, we usually stay in the field or the arena. She has trotted a bit with someone beside her and only for the length of the arena.

Here's our dilemma, she is HORSE MAD and her best friend started riding a year and a half ago and is now jumping. So this has upset the wee girl terribly as she wants to do what her friend can, she doesn't want to be different as she put it. Now we know there will be a lot of things she will not be able to do because of her disability but I would love to take her somewhere for lessons to help her advance a bit, to let her see that although she might not be able to do what her friend does, that she can do more than what I do with her. I know that there are RDA groups in Ireland, we are in Donegal so Im not sure if there are any in the county, even a lesson with someone who understands the restrictions of her disability but who could bring her onto a better level than I can would be great.

We are going to some of the equestrian events during the paralympics so I know that she will get great inspiration from that, and I also know she will think well if they can do it so can I,

but I want to make sure that we go to the right place so if any of ye have any ideas of a good riding instructor in the North West Id be really grateful for any advice

Thanks in advance

I know the answer how bout you get her into dressage =] or enduance hacking rockmount equestrian centre Ear galway city run riding for the disabled on mondAy evenings call them and get the orga isations number and see what they can provide i used to volunteer during ty =]

Another great thing she can do is trick train the cob with a clicker used in dog training this will be very rewarding for her and will allow her to get great satisfaction out of traing a horse with tricks somthing her friend wont be able to do! Pm me if you want info on trick training and how to do it il help as much as possible this will help her to keep developing horse skills by learning how a horse thinks once she has a few tricks she will be able to put together a routine and this will be great. Craic =]

The cob will learn easliy and if you could get her a miniture she could teach it to rear and ly down this wouldnt be reccomed on the cob for obivious reasons and she could take part in showing the miniture horse and county shows etc

There is a million things this child can do and i hope she sticks with the horses as they give so much love and affection and satisfaction =] like i said pm me about the tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Hi all, thanks a million for all your replies, we are going to follow up on those ideas once she has more time in the summer holidays, we have started going to see a woman in Letterkenny for private lessons now and she loves it, so between that and everything your guys have suggested we will have our hands (and hooves) full this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weeginger

I'd strongly recommend speaking to Mary at Glenleary Stables, just outside of Letterkenny , she's an excellent instructor who used to teach at Festine Lente.

www.glenlearystables.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement