Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Psu be repaired

Options
  • 14-04-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭

Hey, went to turn on my computer today and got nothing, not a bean!
    But also found out it was tripping the circuit breakers and blowing the fuse in all 3 power cords I used to test it. Does this sound like it could be repaired? It's a corsair 650w so it's a quaility Psu that's only 2 years old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Disassemble and look for scorch marks. Something has short circuited and needs to be replaced or prevented from doing so with an insulator (tape).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Sounds like a short to ground in the psu..there are fuses in these psu and I would have expected these to blow first but it depends where the fault is ..I would have look around from where the ac connector feeds power into the circuits for possible shorts(maybe to the case) ..get a continuity checker and check for shorts or low ohms across the input lines?( AC power not applied obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Disassembling might void your warranty. Most Corsair units are 3+ years so you could send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Yeah, don't touch it. Send it back. Corsair are suppose to fantastic with their warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Is it blowing the circuit breaker or the RCD (Trip switch) ?

As others have said send it back but just to note it's not really a great idea to open up a power supply that has been recently connected to the mains anyway. The charge stored in the filtering caps would easily be enough to kill given the right circumstances.

Discharging those caps using a screwdriver also tends to be a bad idea as it can damage the capacitor and the resulting spark could damage surrounding components. They would want to be discharged through a suitable resistor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Too late i opened it! it's the psu alright, i can see the part blown and should be ok to get it repaired on Monday. Definitely looks like it shorted as Jim said. old psu is in the pc now and it's working fine. Raging i opened it but wanted to know for certain if it was the psu

How would i find out the capacitor value on the tx650w Cosair psu?
    I can't make it out since it's all burnt and having a tough time trying to find the manufacturer notes on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

There's a lot more than just one capacitor in these power supplies!

If you mean one of the big input filtering caps there is usually a pair of two caps of the same value. You should really just send this back though..

If those caps are blown there's a good chance something else is too. You could attempt capacitor replacement and then try the power supply again but would you really trust it not to damage the rest of your components?

This one is on it's own and no other around it, the risk certainly is damaging other components if that's not all that's wrong with it.
    Think i'll need to bite the bullet on this one and get a replacement, i'm a complete fool for opening it, it had a 5 year warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

My advice would be to just send it back.

a) It's not worth the effort.
    b) It can kill you.

It's the only thing that's actually dangerous about computer modding. It's one of those things that if you do it wrong, it could very well kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Don't open it, they can keep a charge for a number of years,

Guns don't kill people, PSU's do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

demixed wrote: »
    Don't open it

Kinda late there dude...

Advertisement