Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Fees

Options
  • 14-04-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, i am wondering if someone can advise me. My springer spaniel ran through a barbed wire fence and got a bad cut on his chest, brought him to the vet this morning who said he will have to put him to sleep to stitch him up. Now because he had eaten he has to wait til later to do it, which brings us into out of hours time. He has quoted us €300 for this. Am I wrong in thinking that this is way over the top, saturday afternoon or not?I think he is taking advantage of the fact that there are no other vets for a 60km radius.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If he has to go under that why its so high I'd say? Hope he's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catherin

Still waiting to collect him so hope he is ok too. I know full anaesthetic is probably more expensive but he had "snip" 3 yrs ago which is surgery + stiches and it did not cost half of that. not even sure did he really need full anaesthetic in reallity...maybe to do a good job but not because it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hey OP,

The price is so high because the dog has to go under anaesthetic so the sutures can be put in place. The amount of sedation and anaesthetic agent used depends on the dogs weight and the average springer weighs 20kg at least. Along with that, he could have charged a consult fee which could be about €40 at least. It's also out of hours and the vet more than likely will have to bring a nurse in to assist and monitor your dog while he's under. You'll also probably get medication when he's home so that price would make sense.

Hope your dog is okay. :)

Edit: If it was a deep cut he would have needed full anaesthesia, it's nearly impossible to suture a wound if the animal is moving around etc.

hi Jane,
    yea he is 22 kg and quite tall for a springer. Just wondering what is the fee nowdays to get dog neutured?
    I think am really annoyed more because vet was very unfriendly and did not come across as an animal lover. This is not the first time I felt that way...but maybe am wrong, just does not have great social skills???

and upset at having to put my dog through this...but he is so accident prone!:(

Hi catherin,

Anaesthetic would cost a good bit for a 22kg dog so the estimate you were given is definitely correct. To netuer a dog of a similar size to yours it could cost you could potentially be paying €150 depending on the clinic really.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with your vet though. Some vets can be like that, especially older ones. I don't wish to sound ageist but that's what I've found.

He should be right as rain once he's all healed and the stitches are removed though so don't worry. :)

• Advertisement

Home and ok.. Though quite high! So am happy :-D thanks

Glad to hear he's okay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Always make sure to ask for an itemised bill. It will break down the charges for you so its much easier to understand.

Advertisement