Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone is completely dead

• 14-04-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

I was using my iPhone 4 yesterday and I connected it to someone else's iTunes to charge it. The phone was at around 30% battery the last time I checked, but when I went to use it later it looked to be switched off.

I tried to turn it on but it does not respond it all. It appears to be completely bricked but when I connect it to iTunes it does recognise that I have an iPhone but "in recovery mode". I've tried to restore the iPhone to factory settings (I have a recent backup so it's no problem) but I get an error message saying the restore was unsuccessful (error 1601). 1601 appears to be a general error and the only advice given is to reinstall iTunes or restart the computer - it hasn't helped at all.

Does anyone know what this might mean? Or how I might fix it? The phone does not respond at all. Also, it's only about 3 months since I got it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

power off completely and then hold the bottom home button hard and keep holding it and then while holding the home button hold down on the power button for 1 minute let go of both after the 1 minute and then hold the power button until the phone shuts down then leave it for 1 minute and turn it on normally and see if that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

have you googled? There are loads of tools out there to get around this. It takes a while though. I've a very old iphone 3gs and what works for me is to take it apart, and put it back together. But you won't want to try that with a 3month old phone.

Also try uninstalling all apple sw on your pc, before reinstalling itunes, to make sure absolutely everything is deleted and reset.

Well all I can say is my above comment worked for me numerous times and unmuddled it, I might have been lucky though but worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

zenno wrote: »
    power off completely and then hold the bottom home button hard and keep holding it and then while holding the home button hold down on the power button for 1 minute let go of both after the 1 minute and then hold the power button until the phone shuts down then leave it for 1 minute and turn it on normally and see if that works.

I've tried that before - when I hold them down, iTunes recognises my phone after about 10 seconds and tries to restore it (unsuccessfully).

I've searched all over the web but every solution seems to assume that you're still getting a charge bar screen or a "connect to iTunes" screen. I'm not getting anything.

umm will look into it

• Advertisement

This might be of help.... http://iphone-downloads.hubpages.com/hub/Fixing-1604-iPhone-Restore-Error--How-To-Go-About-Fixing-1604-iPhone-Restore-Error not the same error code but the resolution might just work for you.

might work. follow instructions.

Final try would be to do this... Download the latest version of TinyUmbrella onto your PC/Laptop and launch it. Make sure your phone is connected and click on "Kick out of recovery mode" button on upper right corner. This should refresh your phone and can restore it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Newaglish wrote: »
    I've tried that before - when I hold them down, iTunes recognises my phone after about 10 seconds and tries to restore it (unsuccessfully).

I've searched all over the web but every solution seems to assume that you're still getting a charge bar screen or a "connect to iTunes" screen. I'm not getting anything.

ITUNES recognises your phone but you see nothing on the screen? Weird.

zenno wrote: »
    This might be of help.... http://iphone-downloads.hubpages.com/hub/Fixing-1604-iPhone-Restore-Error--How-To-Go-About-Fixing-1604-iPhone-Restore-Error not the same error code but the resolution might just work for you.

might work. follow instructions.

Right now, I am restoring from my backup. Worked a charm, cheers!

meemeep wrote: »
    ITUNES recognises your phone but you see nothing on the screen? Weird.

Yeah, it was very strange. I couldn't find anyone online with a similar issue.

• Advertisement

Happy it worked out for you, as they say...Happy days. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It sounds as if the phone was in DFU mode
    I'm not being smart zenno but what you described in the first is rebooting the phone but you only have to hold the 2 buttons till the apple appears in screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Once when I switched on my iPhone 4, the apple starting-up logo just stayed on the screen for ages! A quick restart did the job :)

Advertisement