Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music- Tips, advice

• 14-04-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Ok lads, i'm kinda startin to worry about the music exam(s). I know my practical will be ok but the written exam might be a challenge? For the set pieces, what do you actually have to know about each piece? And what's the best way to learn off all the info? :eek:
    Also if anyone has any tips about what's due to come up or whatever, i'm sure we all need them! :D thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Breifne72 wrote: »
    Ok lads, i'm kinda startin to worry about the music exam(s). I know my practical will be ok but the written exam might be a challenge? For the set pieces, what do you actually have to know about each piece? And what's the best way to learn off all the info? :eek:
    Also if anyone has any tips about what's due to come up or whatever, i'm sure we all need them! :D thanks

Doing Music too, struggling but hope to get an A2/B1. I don't really have any tips as the subject is so unpredictable, all I can say is there's no point looking at what may come up, my Teacher told me for the Set works they literally put the 4 into a draw and the one that is picked out is the 25marker, complete chance! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Doing Music too, struggling but hope to get an A2/B1. I don't really have any tips as the subject is so unpredictable, all I can say is there's no point looking at what may come up, my Teacher told me for the Set works they literally put the 4 into a draw and the one that is picked out is the 25marker, complete chance! :/

Really?
    It's obviously a bad idea to only focus on one when they all come up. It seems likely that Barry will be the 25 marker tbh but as I said they're all on the paper and you may aswell prepare for them all.

How hard is it I wonder to get full marks in the practical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

How hard is it I wonder to get full marks in the practical?

^^ Quite hard I'd say. It's a very subjective subject, which isn't good! :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

ChemHickey wrote: »
    ^^ Quite hard I'd say. It's a very subjective subject, which isn't good! :-/

I don't really understand the whole marking thing. I've gotten distinctions in my music grades several times (I'm only on Grade 6 but I stopped doing grades a while back) and if I didn't get a fairly high mark for my practical I'd be fairly gutted.

• Advertisement

I'm really nervous for the practical... I'm hoping to get high marks but what's more worrying is the competition in my area... Around 10yrs ago, a music academy was established in the county and this year, the originalish students are all doing their leaving cert...There is around 15 of us doing our leaving cert who have at least Grade 8 and higher (Senior cert & some doing work for teaching diploma) and then with that there will be a huge competition between us all and the examiner.... She'll be psychologically saying.. hmmm he's better than him, so he won't get the A1! :/ Am I just crazy or is this not a bad thing.. :/ Or should they just consider each at their own level? It's very worrying! :L

M&S* wrote: »
    I don't really understand the whole marking thing. I've gotten distinctions in my music grades several times (I'm only on Grade 6 but I stopped doing grades a while back) and if I didn't get a fairly high mark for my practical I'd be fairly gutted.

Same ^. I'm hoping for at least 180/200 anyway!
    I'm really nervous for the practical... I'm hoping to get high marks but what's more worrying is the competition in my area... Around 10yrs ago, a music academy was established in the county and this year, the originalish students are all doing their leaving cert...There is around 15 of us doing our leaving cert who have at least Grade 8 and higher (Senior cert & some doing work for teaching diploma) and then with that there will be a huge competition between us all and the examiner.... She'll be psychologically saying.. hmmm he's better than him, so he won't get the A1! :/ Am I just crazy or is this not a bad thing.. :/ Or should they just consider each at their own level? It's very worrying! :L

I'm in Grade 8 piano, and there's a guy in my Class doing his Teaching Diploma and we get on so well! We're like brothers at this stage, all our DMC's at the Piano! :P. There's no competition between us at all! Some of the Girls singing in my year are truly awful though! It's a shame, they're actually gonna make a show of themselves! :eek:

We all get on great, but it'll be hard to try and show the others up! :L Really? Its almost the opposite for where I'm from! There are proper singers (Like on the radio singers! You know the girl who sings with "The Hiijackers"? ((I won't name here :P )) and then opera singers and almost professional musicians.....It's going to be hard... :/

We all get on great, but it'll be hard to try and show the others up! :L Really? Its almost the opposite for where I'm from! There are proper singers (Like on the radio singers! You know the girl who sings with "The Hiijackers"? ((I won't name here :P )) and then opera singers and almost professional musicians.....It's going to be hard... :/
    Honestly, they're all attrocious! They think Music was just an easy option instead of Chemistry or Technology, in hindsight i'd imagine they regret their choice!

Honestly, they're all attrocious! They think Music was just an easy option instead of Chemistry or Technology, in hindsight i'd imagine they regret their choice!

Really? well i suppose that's good for you though! I read somewhere that music is apparently more difficult than physics as a subject... it is quite a hard course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aki

Hey picture frame,
    Thanks for your advice a few weeks ago.

For economics did you only utilize the rapid revision book as the basis of your study....worried it may be missing tiny things.... did you use anything else in conjunction with the book.....i might be starting the institute in september so they should cover the whole course in the year.... friend did it in a year and got an A2.... anyway looks like an interesting subject but i do want to get started in june and hopefully finish most of the 5th year course by the end of the summer. Will be tough but the nice thing is, the leaving cert is nothing compared to the best college courses. We have that in our favour!

How'd the mocks go for you?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I'm doing one of the same piano pieces as another girl in my class :S totally by chance, I only found out that she is doing it too the last day of school before the holidays. But I'm on first :pac: :p

I've been playing piano for nine years, and yet I'm worried I won't get an A. There is such a lot in it :/ It seems mad that the set works are only worth 55 marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

They're supposed to mark everyone at how well they do in their practical regardless of level...so technically someone at Grade 1 could do better than someone with a teaching diploma :)

_LilyRose_ wrote: »

They're supposed to mark everyone at how well they do in their practical regardless of level...so technically someone at Grade 1 could do better than someone with a teaching diploma :)

Ya lets hope! But in saying that, there is a good few marks per piece which is based on your standard of work in relation to 5 years of playing. so I'm not sure grade 1 will... unless the teacher diploma person is "cac" :-P

What unseen tests are you all doing? :)

Flabangav wrote: »

Sightreading FTW! It should be full marks (hopefully!)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Ya lets hope! But in saying that, there is a good few marks per piece which is based on your standard of work in relation to 5 years of playing. so I'm not sure grade 1 will... unless the teacher diploma person is "cac" :-P

Oh yeah you're right! I forgot that the lc requires a standard of around grade 5..but anyway the examiners would hardly compare ppl! Good luck anyway, I'd say you'll be grand!

_LilyRose_ wrote: »

Oh yeah you're right! I forgot that the lc requires a standard of around grade 5..but anyway the examiners would hardly compare ppl! Good luck anyway, I'd say you'll be grand!

Thanks! you too!

Aural rhythm. :P Handy enough!

I'm either going to do aural rhythm or sight rhythm. I haven't decided yet...

• Advertisement

Why wouldn't. you do sightreading? It's quite easy. they've practice ones on examinations.ie

Sorry Sight rhythm is the one i'm doing I always mix them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

from readin this i've just realised that we haven't even looked at unseen tests yet.... aaaaaaaah!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Im reading this and just realized our teacher never told us about Unseen Tests.... O_O

Advertisement