Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you hit by a teacher in school

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Considering I'm less than 10 years out of the system and it was still going on then I'm sure its still is among the more old-school teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

BTW, I was born in 1987, so did not experience the corporate punishment face. In primary though, around '94, an old time was there who supposedly hit a student with a ruler.

Though the Irish teachers obviously grew up in Corporate punishment. 1 teacher I had, Mr Long, was mental. He had a big lazy eye, often he'd be focusing and talking to a student and his lazy eye would be facing me, I often thought while looking at him could he see out of his lazy eye. He'd fecking flip his desk over if he got a bit irritated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

drimnage castle cbs school had a few bender brothers.
    But it was the teachers not the brothers that would hit you.
    One teacher i swear if i met him up a dark ally way with no1 around i would kill him.Beating up kids and degrading kids i swear i would kill him slowly.
    He only attacked me one time myself but i swear he hit me so hard i cried and laughed at the same time.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Were you hit by a teacher in school
    Yes.
    One P.E. teacher even one day left hook punched in the jaw.
    He was a Christian Brother short tempered piece of crap that really shouldn't have been a teacher.
    Mind you there was a few like that.

You'd expect the brothers and nuns to be Christian-like, ie warm and kind.
    Yeah i thaught Julie Andrews in the sound of music was going to be teaching me i got a shock when i found out what they were realy like.:eek:
    I was 7 and we had a priest come into the school and say we would all burn in hell for all eternity if we did not go to mass every sunday.:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Started school at 3.5 (They needed numbers)In senoir infants aged 4.5 I regularly had a metal clothes peg put on my lips for talking. Same nun went on to be principal later. In 1st, aged 5.5, my left hand was tied behind me regularly and I was slapped across the face until I picked up the pencil with my right hand. It was the one time my mother ever went to the school and it stopped. In 2nd we'd get the side of the yard stick across the legs for not being able to ream off answers in religion. 3rd/4th/5th/6th were lay teachers thankfully.

When I went to training college, my answer to the standard question of why I wanted to be a teacher was that I felt I could get good from children without resorting to intimidating them. I got in!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Old Tom wrote: »
    Yes I was.

And surprisingly, as a grown up man I am not a thief, paedo, murderer, drug addict or any other kind of a scumbag.

Weird, isn't it?

Silly post. There are plenty of people that have never been hit or abused in life.

Surprisingly many people in this country are not scumbags, drug addicts, murderers, paedos or a thieves... Weird isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 IrishGeordie

To be honest, there is no excuse for violence of any nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It would be better if people included what age they are so we can see when were the most recent examples of unlawful corporal punishment out of interest.

Personally, I think it would be an idea to reintroduce it. With strict guidelines. Some young folk are completely out of control and need a bit of a beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lippy C

I was ten years old sat at my desk and the headmaster stood behind me and with the full force of his hand hit the side of my face knocking me off the seat I sat back down and sobbed for the rest of the class. I don't know how the class carried on because all you could hear was me crying.If I ever wished anyone any bad luck in life it would be to that son of a b***h...I will never understand how anyone could do that to a small girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Started school at 3.5 (They needed numbers)In senoir infants aged 4.5 I regularly had a metal clothes peg put on my lips for talking. Same nun went on to be principal later. In 1st, aged 5.5, my left hand was tied behind me regularly and I was slapped across the face until I picked up the pencil with my right hand. It was the one time my mother ever went to the school and it stopped. In 2nd we'd get the side of the yard stick across the legs for not being able to ream off answers in religion. 3rd/4th/5th/6th were lay teachers thankfully.

When I went to training college, my answer to the standard question of why I wanted to be a teacher was that I felt I could get good from children without resorting to intimidating them. I got in!!

If that is the reason you became a teacher then I take my hat off to your pure dedication *tips cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Lippy C wrote: »
    I was ten years old sat at my desk and the headmaster stood behind me and with the full force of his hand hit the side of my face knocking me off the seat I sat back down and sobbed for the rest of the class. I don't know how the class carried on because all you could hear was me crying.If I ever wished anyone any bad luck in life it would be to that son of a b***h...I will never understand how anyone could do that to a small girl.

Name and shame the pr*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

''The masters at Leamy's school all have straps and sticks. They hit you if you don't know that God made the world, or if you don't know the patron saint of Limerick. They hit you if you can't say the ''Hail Mary'' in Irish, or if you can't ask for the Lavatory Pass in Irish. They hit you if you laugh, if you're late, or if you talk. One headmaster would hit you if you don't know that Eamonn De Valera was the greatest man that ever lived. Another will hit you if you don't know that Michael Collins was the greatest man that ever lived.''

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lippy C

Oh I don't know if I should!!?? His son was in my class and he used to batter the poor lad daily god only knows what he had to endure at home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

I don't think I was. I was born in 92 and started primary school when I was 5 (FWIW).
    My oldest sister (who isn't a lot older than me - only a few years) wasn't treated very well in PS, it was really only one of them who did it (Who has/d the same last name as the current principal - probably related as it's a small town), she told me she was tied to the chair by him :/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Tom Cruise wrote: »
    drimnage castle cbs school had a few bender brothers.
    But it was the teachers not the brothers that would hit you.
    One teacher i swear if i met him up a dark ally way with no1 around i would kill him.Beating up kids and degrading kids i swear i would kill him slowly.
    He only attacked me one time myself but i swear he hit me so hard i cried and laughed at the same time.:mad:

ah the auld castle. . . i could tell some stories. i was never hit but i came fairly close several times, to say i was a cheeky little bollx would be fairly apt (until we got to 4th class and the teacher gave out sweets for good behaviour; i like sweets).

i did witness a fair few beatings alright though. i remember one in particular, the teacher was out of the room, the lad beside me did/said something funny (what's not funny to a 10yr old?) and it resulted in a fair few of us in fits of laughter. this big pr!ck of a teacher walking the hall hears the laughter and sticks his head in. silence immediately falls on the room. then, a small, muffled, spluttered snigger is heard from the quiet lad at the front of the row - never in trouble in his life, just couldn't hold the laughter. anyway, in strolls the big lug with his sights fixed directly on the quiet lad, tells him to stand up and put out his hands. the pr!ck then fishes a ruler out of somewhere and proceeds to proper whack this child about 5 times on each hand. it was easily the most painful thing i'd ever seen and I felt so bad for that kid - hence the memory is so vivid.

when was corporal punishment banned? i'm an '83 baby and i'm fairly sure i shouldn't have been seeing these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was born in 1991, when I was in Junior Infants we had a substitute because our teacher was on maternity leave. She was an old woman, and really mean at that, I asked to go to the toilet and she hit me. She hit another girl that day for something similar as well, she hadn't even been in the school that long. When my mother picked my up I told her what had happened she was livid because I had kidney problems as a kid and when I had to go, I had to go, she went in and spoke to the principle and the next day we had a new substitute.

There was also a remedial teacher who came to our school who I can only describe as a bitch on wheels, I never went to her but I remember my sister telling my mother about a boy in her class who went to this woman for classes, he came back to class crying because she had stabbed him in the back of the hand with a biro because he didn't get spellings right. She was well known for this sort of thing and often would punch kids into the back of the head for similar stuff. She is now teaching my niece, I wouldn't let her teach a dog. This would have happened in the early 2000's.

Also stories went around that the principle of our school had in fact been fired from his last position for hitting a student, having had him a couple of inches from my face screaming at me, red with anger and spitting everywhere I would believe it. I can't understand how a teacher who hit a child could be hired again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Had a teacher in third class who split the back of my head open when she whacked me. Needed stitches too.

From what I remember she hit me because I was day dreaming and wasn't following along with the class- I had actually finished reading the story myself and the four that came after it. It was a book on Irish legends which I loved!

They had to get two male teachers in to help the principal pry my dads hands from round her neck!

She never lost her job though even after she spent time in the looney bin off and on for a good few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

kraggy wrote: »
    It would be better if people included what age they are so we can see when were the most recent examples of unlawful corporal punishment out of interest.

Personally, I think it would be an idea to reintroduce it. With strict guidelines. Some young folk are completely out of control and need a bit of a beating.

Im 37, got walloped when i was about 13 so corporal punishment was offically gone by then but not offically it seems. Not sure if people will agree with me but i think it depends on who your parents were TBH. The kid whose parents had the "good job" never seemed to be hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

.The kid whose parents had the "good job" never seemed to be hit.[/QUOTE]

Yes , they loved you alright if you 'were from money'.

At the business end of my 30's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I teach learning support, in my day at school, "my" children were most often the ones who got belted.I also take high ability
    students, who often correct something I say(and are usually right.)In my time at school, they would have been thumped for that.

I'd hate to see corporal punishment of any kind re-introduced. It would be too easy to lash out at a child, instead of trying to understand where the child was coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

My Irish teacher used to put us in alphabetical order in his class. As luck would have it I used to have to sit at the desk directly under his high teacher chair with my buddy next to me, within arms reach of the teacher.

He would keep a close eye on our work and would give the buddy a tap on the head when he got something wrong.

One day tho my buddy snapped, jumped out of his chair and starting shouting he couldn't take it any more and generally ranting at the teacher. The teacher said he didn't think he was hitting him that hard and put forward a solution that was to sit my buddy in the teachers chair while he sat next to me and then told my buddy to give as good as he ever got. The buddy gave him a clatter on the head.

Fairest teacher we ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I teach learning support, in my day at school, "my" children were most often the ones who got belted.I also take high ability students, who often correct something I say(and are usually right.)In my time at school, they would have been thumped for that.

I'd hate to see corporal punishment of any kind re-introduced. It would be too easy to lash out at a child, instead of trying to understand where the child was coming from.

And with that comment I will give it a Live thanks as this is the attitude to have and a very educated way of looking at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Couldn't you imagine some of the little bollixes going around these days being transported back in time to face the teachers we had?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AlcatrazLogan

When I was in 4th class the teacher would often press her ring into your back, I mean really press it in there and it was a sharp ring too. She was mean and malicious. This would've been around '96 or '97.

One day she came into work with a nasty black eye and I've always wondered if she had an abusive husband and was taking out her frustration on her students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

When i was in 6th class i got punched in the stomach by a teacher about 2 weeks after i had got my appendix out,. I was so angry that i smacked her in the head with a tennis racket. I think she was so shocked when she found out i still had stitches (they where more staples than stitches) in that she never mentioned the fact that i clocked her over the head pretty hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A guy I work with went to the christian brothers. One day one of them sat him on his lap and asked him did he ever see a blue movie. Bad to the core some of them were, castration is too good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Eeyup - disciplinary action; Getting smacked on your extended fingers with the edge of a ruler, and in a Malaysian school... some bitch teacher had this fetish of pinching the ear lobe of students with her nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yeah I got thumped often especailly in 5/6th class by a horrible man who was only putting down the yrs til retirement. P***ck had a wonderful ability to thump the upper half of my arm, I don't know how but he always met bone, damn sore. Knuckles in the head too.

THis was in 88-90. I hated him I was good at school very interested, but crap at maths. Boy oh boy he would ask a question but he would only ask those who did not know the answer. Just so he could humiliate them.

I stopped watching winning streak yrs ago after that man won loads of money on it. Turned me inside out.

I know others suffered worse than me, but they really know which parents were too quiet to stand up for their kids.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Lisha wrote: »
    Yeah I got thumped often especailly in 5/6th class by a horrible man who was only putting down the yrs til retirement. P***ck had a wonderful ability to thump the upper half of my arm, I don't know how but he always met bone, damn sore. Knuckles in the head too.

THis was in 88-90. I hated him I was good at school very interested, but crap at maths. Boy oh boy he would ask a question but he would only ask those who did not know the answer. Just so he could humiliate them.

I stopped watching winning streak yrs ago after that man won loads of money on it. Turned me inside out.

I know others suffered worse than me, but they really know which parents were too quiet to stand up for their kids.:(

Fortune often favours a cunt.

• Advertisement

We used to have a teacher who used to put our hand on the rediator till we screamed coz he felt it was funny to do so.The thing is our parents had it worse and their parents even more so.I remember my aunts telling storys of nuns torturing kids for not wearing their full uniform.Nowadays the kids in some schools seem to be beating up the teachers which i also do not condone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Born in 72. Regularly hit with a bamboo cane across the tips of the fingers by the principal in St Senan's NS, Enniscorthy up until about second class...
    Copped myself on after a talking to by my then teacher (Basically, stop mixing with a certain kid (My best mate at the time) and I wouldn't be in trouble anymore) It worked ;)

Went to the CBS (Enniscorthy) in 84. Then, In second year, an old brother called Moore came in to the school. We called him Bilko on account of his resemblance to Phil Silvers :rolleyes:.

Anyway, he gave me a serious beating one day (with his fists) for laughing in class:eek: . He did the same to a lot of other lads... I think he lasted another two years before he was moved on. I still remember the strange aroma of old spice and Woodbine :D

We used to have a teacher who used to put our hand on the rediator till we screamed coz he felt it was funny to do so.The thing is our parents had it worse and their parents even more so.I remember my aunts telling storys of nuns torturing kids for not wearing their full uniform.Nowadays the kids in some schools seem to be beating up the teachers which i also do not condone.

i'm trying to remember who did the radiator. . .? primary or secondary?

johnnybmac wrote: »
    Went to the CBS (Enniscorthy) in 84.

Brother O there at that time? Legend of a man (not all the brothers were baxtards!), brought hurling back to the castle, we got to croker in our first year playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

i remember getting plenty of slaps around the back of the head, stick across the knuckles. I didn't think much about at the time but i was only fu*king 4,
    see a four year old now i realize they are only babies.

god i hate that bitch, the year of this was 1984, i don't know when corporal punishment was stopped but surely you could never have assaulted a four year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

the radiator thing was done to me to, repressed memories are coming back to haunt me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Had a couple of real psychopaths for teachers. It must be very hard to give a teacher the sack because complaints were made to the headmasters(two different schools) but they still worked on until retirement.
    Those are the worst kind of teacher from a learning point of view also, as being on edge and scared all the time makes it very hard to learn anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I get irritable when I hear people say schooldays are the best days of your life, because my main memories from the age of 7 being worried sick my teacher wouldn't be in a good mood. If she was, that was fine because we may only get one or two slaps/wallops to the face/pinches to the neck. Otherwise we came home with raw hands and red necks or cheeks. I still can't understand to this day why she believed that if a child didn't understand something, that assaulting them was the solution rather than explaining in a different way.

Worst of all, our parents just accepted this. Every day when I came home from school, my father would affectionately (:eek:) ask "So how many slaps did you get today" and just a nod of the head in apathetic fashion when we told him.

When my children started school, I was emotional enough on their first day - if I had known they would endure even a fraction of the torture we did I would not have let them near the place. But I understand our parents didn't know any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Ruled with the meter stick in primary school. Same teacher used to make us sit quiet for an hour and watch him eat a chocolate bar,the mental punishment was worse.:p Don't understand how teachers brought themselves to 'discipline' kids the done way at the time...what if you actually liked children?!

Had a good few books/dusters/whatever was at hand fired at me in secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I remember in 4th class being taught by a nun who would hit you with a ruler or knitting needles. For me it was on the hands and I was a 'good' kid in the class.. That would have been in 93.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Yes and no... No one was ever hit in primary school. In secondary school just the boys were hit, the girls never got a slap. I was there from 1999 - 2004, heard in 2006 the principal changed and put a stop to it. Looking back I'm surprised it was allowed to go on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Yeah thrown about one day then ended up on the ground by going over a stool then i had to kneel down,no jokes!, on a hardened floor for an hour afterwards this was around 1990 or so.If i ever see him again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

No, thankfully. It was gone by the time I was in school. That said, we used to have this really old school teacher who definitely gave his fair share of beatings in his day. Although he couldn't hit anyone, he'd still use phrases like ''I'll drive my fist into your face'' and you could tell he'd love if he was still able to deliver an old-school hiding to the lads acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

I am a child of the early 80s and whilst I never saw anything too bad go on though

We had this complete b*tch of a teacher in Junior and senior infants
    I was only 5 and she hit me over the head with a book for not paying attention

The same teacher lost the head one day with a lad in the class
    We had these elasticated ties and she kept pulling and reefing his tie shouting with red rage anger, spitting in his face,
    the elastic snapped on the tie and I remember she had to spend a good while getting the sewing kit out fixing the tie
    Don't know what she told the parents. It was hilarious at the time.

She was a hot headed bloody c*nt and is still teaching today unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Had a fella in primary who got his kicks from boxing the class around the place.Thirty odd years later he did not like it himself getting a full force slap across the back of the skull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Hit by one teacher,I think I was hit by them all:(
    Once in metalwork class,I got hit with a hammer and I wasn't even the one being punished,I just happen to be in the way and the teacher had lost the plot completely.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Just once. One day in secondary school I was writing on the desk and the teacher told me to put down the pen. I didn't hear him so kept writing. He then came over and shouted in my face to put down the pen so I did. This wasn't good enough for him though so he hit my knuckles with a ruler until they started bleeding. This was in the mid or late eighties.

I didn't get hit, but when I was in senior infants we were making faces from paper plates and I wrote my name on mine really tiny so as not to ruin my beautiful artwork, I handed it to my teacher and she grabbed me by my arms, picked me up and shook me while shouting that I never put my name on my plate. Feckin never forget that bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Oh where do I start:

OK - 5th class - Gaelscoil in Galway (early 80s) Spinster frustrated bítch - God she really hated children!

then 6th class (same school) - this guy loved his hardman reputation and on the first day he actually asked if anyone wanted to leave the class and go to another class - Everyone was terrified and justifiably so, I don't think anyone made it to the year end without getting hit

Secondary school - mid to late 80s in Galway - Had a guy for the whole five years who had anger issues and actually hopped a poor guy off the blackboard for no reason - saw him also catch another guy and push him up against the door again for no reason other than he (the teacher) probably wasn't getting any at home.

Same school - in a new class for 5 minutes and yer man is shouting and roaring and hitting a hurl off the desk - Psycho!

Land of saints and scholars me árse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

My teacher had a bamboo stick. He was also a lethal shot with the chalk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement