Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you hit by a teacher in school

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Yeah, corporal punishment was only banned when I was around 8 or 9 - I had witnessed and experienced a surprising amount of violence by that age. Mind you I was in a religious orders school so not thats surprising really. Those nuns would beat you with a metre stick as quick as theyd look at you.

My brother was in Christian Brothers, they were really violent. There was one guy who used to make the children stand on a stool to write out maths answers on the board, and if they got the answer wrong, he whacked the stool out from under them with a hurley. Quite a few punches daily also.

Both of us were changed into a rural school due to moving house when I was around 10 - the difference was unbelievable, not being terrorised daily, not being shouted at and humiliated.

the funny thing is, i went to an inner city secondary school.. if the teachers had laid a finger on most of the guys in my year the teachers wouldnt have come out alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I was hit once in first class by a nun :(

I was made sit next to this kid called John Dengate who was having trouble with his maths.

I hated him as he was always pulling my hair and making my life miserable in lunch break.

Anyway, he was having a problem with the maths stuff and I refused point blank to help him. When the nun noticed, she marched me to the front of the class and whacked me across the bum with a big ruler :(

It hurt and afterwards I went back to my seat, put my arms on the desk and cried silently into them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I was born '77 went to school at 4, ended up with an aul wan in 3rd,4th,5th (iirc) who scared the living ****e out of us nearly daily. She had a fierce temper and we often got a belt of a ruler on the back of the hand or a dig in the arm or side from her - she actually reminds me of thatcher now that I come to think of it, for some reason! She was a good teacher and i ended up excelling so much that I went from about 15th in a class of 30 ish to 3rd by the time we left her (yes, she did league tables with our exam results!!) but I dont forgive her for what she did to us and wouldn't let anyone do it to my child. I can only surmise that my parents never knew the extent of it as they were strict and did slap us but nothing that we didnt deserve.

Anyhow, about three years ago herself and the husband were shot and murdered by her adult son who then turned the gun on himself. Very hard to have any sympathy to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I was hit once in first class by a nun :(

I was made sit next to this kid called John Dengate who was having trouble with his maths.

I hated him as he was always pulling my hair and making my life miserable in lunch break.

Anyway, he was having a problem with the maths stuff and I refused point blank to help him. When the nun noticed, she marched me to the front of the class and whacked me across the bum with a big ruler :(

It hurt and afterwards I went back to my seat, put my arms on the desk and cried silently into them :(

It is not your fault - It is all John Dengates' fault. Him and the nun were in it together. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

You'd expect the brothers and nuns to be Christian-like, ie warm and kind.

They were with me - in the sack

scholar007 wrote: »
    It is not your fault - It is all John Dengates' fault. Him and the nun were in it together. :mad:

Do you really think so?

That just made me feel worse :(

I always thought it was weird that my friend and his friend were off school the same day so we were thrown together.... oh god.............:mad::(

Was my friend in on it too? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

On the third or fourth week of my first year in secondary school walking down the corridor with my school bag around both shoulders someone grabbed the handle from behind and swerved me to the right so they could get the proper momentum to swerve me back to the left and smack me into the wall. I dropped to the floor and looked up in a daze to see my new principle who told me to go to his office.

He saw me "hit" another kid in the corridor so gave me a note to take home to my parents. I was a shy nerd, I would be too afraid to hit anybody, I lightly slapped my friend on the shoulder to say hello to him as we were in primary school together and I had not seen him all summer.

My principle was a jerk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Nope, but there were 1 or 2 teachers (that would have been around in the days of physical punishment) who you could tell were strung out to lash out whenever a student was acting the bollox.

There was one teacher in particular who really prided himself on how much "respect" he had and how much he was feared, so whenever some jumped up little fcuker was in his face, you could see the veins popping in his head and his eyes popping out of his head, and that he was using every last bit of his self control not to lash out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Yes -I was. I started in Junior Infants in a rural primary school in Late October just turned 4. The principal asked my parents to send me so they could get an extra teacher if they had one more pupil. I was the only left-handed child in junior infants I wrote the letters e and a backwards and I was trying to catch up with the rest of the class. The bitch was pregnant and used to have bad morning sickness and she took it out on me and I got slapped on the backside a lot and I was made stand in the dunces corner outside the class door in the cold one day for over an hour. The teacher in the neighbouring class took me in out of the cold and ate the bitch. My brother was in senior infants in the same class room and used to go home and tell my parents. My mother went to the board of management over it and the Local Monsignor as he was the school patron and told them she would pull me out of the school if it didn’t stop as I would be in hysterics every morning at the thought of school.
    If I was taken out of school that meant they school lost the new teacher, so the bitch was given early maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

I hated primary school with a passion.
    Teacher would cane us on a constant basis. Ridicule us when we had to read aloud. As a result I would get nervous just talking in groups.

I had my fingers caned really badly cause my 5 looked liked a 6 and he didn't believe I got a sum right.
    Noticed that the boys in his choir were treated differently and wouldn't get punished like the rest of us.

That teacher would do nothing to improve your confidence. Thank God teachers today are much better with children.

As for the B*****d that taught me ,I hope he rots in hell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The parents of the guy in my class who got the black eye complained but nothing was done, the lad was just told to take another subject so he wouldnt have to see the teacher. From reading this it seems that beating kids was going on everywhere. I think back then we just accepted it and kind of thought it was normal. I dont have kids but I would imagine that if a teacher hit a kid now it would be P45 time and a possible court case.

Do you really think so?

That just made me feel worse :(

I always thought it was weird that my friend and his friend were off school the same day so we were thrown together.... oh god.............:mad::(

Was my friend in on it too? :(

You will have to brace yourself now. What I have to say isn't going to be nice. I hope you are sitting down? Is there someone you can call? You mustn't blame yourself. As I said before it wasn't your fault. You must move on and leave it all behind you. I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings. There is help available out there you know. There are people you can talk to. I am going to try and break this to you as gently as I can...........

YES - YOUR SO CALLED FRIEND WAS IN ON IT!

The parents of the guy in my class who got the black eye complained but nothing was done, the lad was just told to take another subject so he wouldnt have to see the teacher. From reading this it seems that beating kids was going on everywhere. I think back then we just accepted it and kind of thought it was normal. I dont have kids but I would imagine that if a teacher hit a kid now it would be P45 time and a possible court case.

My incident happened in Sydney in the late-70s, so it really was sort of going on everywhere. I remember the nun in question picking girls up by their pigtails and boys by their ears for things like forgetting to bring to school their library cards.

She was a very frail, old woman, but we were all petrified of the b*tch.

Very different times now.

scholar007 wrote: »
    You will have to brace yourself now. What I have to say isn't going to be nice. I hope you are sitting down? Is there someone you can call? You mustn't blame yourself. As I said before it wasn't your fault. You must move on and leave it all behind you. I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings. There is help available out there you know. There are people you can talk to. I am going to try and break this to you as gently as I can...........

YES - YOUR SO CALLED FRIEND WAS IN ON IT!

Am dialing the Samaritans.. don't worry, I am OK. I will be OK.

Am dialing the Samaritans.. don't worry, I am OK. I will be OK.

Are you sure now? Please don't do anything drastic......Please, Please, Please, PULLLLLLEEEEEESSSSSSEEEEEEEE think of the children!

It would break my heart to read about you on the aertel this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I was an ultimate messer and fidgiter in school (probably why I became a drummer!).
    Anyway when I was in 4th class in school I was in one of those moods where you couldn't stop laughing and because you were in school and not supposed to be laughing I laughed even harder (as it always happens!). My male teacher gave me a solid dig, he hit me into the shoulder but his fist brushed upwards and hit me into the jaw! I packed my bag and walked straight out the school gates and walked home.
    I told my mother when I went home. My father was away on a tactical course with the army, he returned around 9ish the following morning and when my mother told him we set off to school, army gear - facepaint and all on. He went to my class room and walked over to the teacher (who was at the blackboard at this stage) grabbed him by the neck with his two hands and picked him off the ground and slammed him against the blackboard and said that if he ever touched me again he'd break his two legs! The teacher was made apologise to me in front of the class and he then retired the same week.

As an adult now, I asked my father why was he so violent in that situation, as he always seemed to be a very controlled person. His reply was that he and his classmates were given hidings with hurleys, canes, blackthorn sticks and leather straps on a daily basis by the christian brothers for the same petty childhood mistakes. He vowed that he'd never let it happen to his children, as it was common if you got a hiding in schoool before in his day and told your parents you'd get a hiding off them also, that was society then he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

kraggy wrote: »
    It would be better if people included what age they are so we can see when were the most recent examples of unlawful corporal punishment out of interest.

Personally, I think it would be an idea to reintroduce it. With strict guidelines. Some young folk are completely out of control and need a bit of a beating.

So much wrong with this post, how anyone can think reintroducing coporal punishment at any degree simply baffles me. As a student teacher the thought of a child every being hit is simply sickening.

I am only 19 so I never witnessed any corporal punishment first hand but how anyone can condone it amazes me. The sheer psychological and emotional effects that it had on pupils and how society allowed it to happen is incredible. If a techer has to resort to violence to control and interest a class they are simply not cut out to be a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

leg wrote: »
    So much wrong with this post, how anyone can think reintroducing coporal punishment at any degree simply baffles me. As a student teacher the thought of a child every being hit is simply sickening.

I am only 19 so I never witnessed any corporal punishment first hand but how anyone can condone it amazes me. The sheer psychological and emotional effects that it had on pupils and how society allowed it to happen is incredible. If a techer has to resort to violence to control and interest a class they are simply not cut out to be a teacher.

Never harmed me. You obviously don't know the difference between a smack and a beating.

But well done on having a class full of angels. I'd say that's bull**** though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A teacher whacked me with a metre stick when I was in second year. This was in 2004 by the way. The teacher hated me with a passion for some reason and used to always find weird ways like that to punish me. Once he made me hold this big heavy crucifix for an hour "so it wouldn't break"

He panicked after he realised what he did then started saying it was "just a joke" and that he barely touched me. Prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

MagicSean wrote: »
    Never harmed me. You obviously don't know the difference between a smack and a beating.

Moronic opinions like yours is what's holding this country back!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

MagicSean wrote: »

A smack or a beating it doesnt make a difference anyone that feels the need to hit a child is a coward and obviously doesnt have the necessary skills to be a teacher.

I'm still in college so I dont have a class so good call on the bull**** there. Any school I have worked in though has been a deis school in disadvantaged areas with plenty of messers and children with behavioural difficulties so no angels there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Only a smack but It never harmed me (not saying that physical punishment is acceptable in my opinion its not). Far worse than the physical is the attacks on confidence by teachers.

Advertisement