Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie is hiring

Options
  • 14-04-2012 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I read here that boards.ie is hiring and was curious to see the advertisement.
    http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/distilled-media/product-manager-boards-ie/1489528

It reads as follows:

"Boards.ie is Ireland’s biggest discussion forum, with over 2.3m unique visitors per month and 500k members. Our audience rivals national prime-time television and our website gets as many visitors as any of the national newspaper websites. We're now seeking an experienced Product Manager to help us evolve the site and meet the exciting challenges ahead.

Boards.ie is part of the Distilled Media Group, which is the largest online media group in Ireland, delivering 3.65 million unique visitors and over 170 million page impressions per month. Our sister sites include such well-known names as daft.ie, adverts.ie, rent.ie, let.ie, property.ie, and thejournal.ie.

Due to continued growth of our site we now have an exciting opportunity for an outstanding individual to join our team. You will be reporting to the COO and will work closely with our management, community, technical and design team to develop and manage products that will:..."

I've read the ad as I was curious. If only those writing these sorts of ad's didn't keep using the word "exciting" it would read better, as the particular word is, now, so overused. To "meet the exciting challenges ahead" is now said in virtually ever job ad the world over to render the phrase a cliche and virtually meaningless, as is "we now have an exciting opportunity for an outstanding individual to join our team".

I'd have expected boards to not rely on such cliche's when advertising for jobs in what is a more interesting environment than many more conventional areas, and also the brand "boards.ie" has always relied on the fact that it is more interesting and dynamic than more conventional companies, and in my view that this wording contains the same cliche's used by almost every other job advertisement is in danger of diminishing the brand of boards.ie
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Are they looking for a dynamic motivated self-starter willing to work under their own initiative or in a team environment?

Job seeking language is somewhat peppered with trite over-used BS tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

In a climate where we now almost entering a depression that could last an eternity who comes to the rescue....boards.ie.
    Keep up the good work folks.
    As I've said on numerous occasions we're a bit ahead of the curve here and are sort of leading the way but sooner rather than later lets just hope the rest catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's all very simple, guys. Going forward, boards.ie is reaching out to it's customers and hoping to expedite the process of becoming Ireland's most dynamic and exciting outside-the-box thinkers.

The need to get all their ducks in a row. They're looking under the bonnet and at the end of the day they need to brainstorm and hire a lateral thinker who gives 110%. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think such blue sky paradigm shifts really could get everyone on board, in an organic format, to really drive our key learnings. Such an engagement model would probably need some triage wrt thinking points, but taking our BAU by COB on the day, we could just triangulate a JFDI approach to gain traction; that would be in plan, well within scope of our wildly important goals. Perhaps we need to embed a thought shower? Or should we workshop it prior to parking it?

Hopefully we'll also need someone to assess if continued innovation is actionable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Gordon wrote: »
    I think such blue sky paradigm shifts really could get everyone on board, in an organic format, to really drive our key learnings. Such an engagement model would probably need some triage wrt thinking points, but taking our BAU by COB on the day, we could just triangulate a JFDI approach to gain traction; that would be in plan, well within scope of our wildly important goals. Perhaps we need to embed a thought shower? Or should we workshop it prior to parking it?

Sounds like a plan, going forward. The candidate should be driven by a desire to delight our customers and enrich the lives of shareholders and stakeholders. Sustainable growth needs to be infused with challenging targets and the successful candidate must be able to communicate clearly our goals, values and mission while adding value to our focused diversified portfolio. No arts graduates need apply.

The new applicant is lucky Devore's such a chilled-out entertainer for a boss.

davoffice1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dav will will need to drill down into the metrics to make the correct judgement.

mike65 wrote: »
    Dav will will need to drill down into the metrics to make the correct judgement.

Yeah, but there is some real cool fascist corporate software available to do that :cool:

In achieving results which are aligned to the company’s strategic goals, you will:
    - Have a strong sense of initiative and the ability to stay focused on results despite changing conditions
    - Have a passion for creating an excellent user experience and will be familiar with all aspects of website development
    - Enjoy problem solving, demonstrate meticulous attention to detail and exhibit a strong sense of urgency around goal achievement
    - Be creative and innovative, and be able to turn ideas into practical, timely solutions
    - Have experience in managing numerous and varied online development projects at once
    - Have an understanding of user-centric design and development
    - Be experienced in user-testing and product launches
    - Be able to communicate effectively with all stakeholders in the project
    - Be an independent and hard working individual with excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and collaboration skills
    - Have excellent organisational and time management skills
    - Have strong written and oral presentation skills
    - Be able to manage teams over which you do not have direct responsibility

At least if God decides to apply He won't be over-qualified. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Ffs...in this cost conscious environment, is there not a way for you to create synergies through existing FTE's rather than go to the expense of recruiting new human capital?

It's bullsh1t bingo time!

200502.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What the absolute f*ck are you people on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sarky wrote: »
    What the absolute f*ck are you people on about?
    Thanks for coming in.

Don't call us, we'll call you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Who's the COO?

I hope it's g'em... she's hawt.. would have no problems working under her...

Different story if it's Gordy though, not going there.. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Steve wrote: »
    Who's the COO?

I hope it's g'em... she's hawt.. would have no problems working under her...

Different story if it's Gordy though, not going there.. :D:D:D

It's a Gordon, but it's Commissioner Gordon, not our beloved Gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I am, in fact, Chief Operating Officer of Lockups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 elmex

How about a prize for bull **** bingo, using all the words in the box?

We to revisit the synergies of the mindset of its overall results driven and client focused best practiced ball park game plan. To this end we need to appoint a proactive yet hardball person who is able to think outside the box, who is able to aspire to a client focused gap management strategy which is quality driven in a win-win ball park, and able to revisit the bandwith in a value-added way utilising the knowledge base available, thinking inside and outside the box.

elmex wrote: »
    How about a prize for bull **** bingo, using all the words in the box?

We to revisit the synergies of the mindset of its overall results driven and client focused best practiced ball park game plan. To this end we need to appoint a proactive yet hardball person who is able to think outside the box, who is able to aspire to a client focused gap management strategy which is quality driven in a win-win ball park, and able to revisit the bandwith in a value-added way utilising the knowledge base available, thinking inside and outside the box.

You're hired!

We're talking about a totally outrageous paradigm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Gordon wrote: »
    I am, in fact, Chief Operating Officer of Lockups.
    How long did it take to be qualified in COOL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The candidate needs to be proactive, not reactive. Edgy. You've heard the expression "Let's get busy"? Well this would be an employee who gets biz-ZAY. Consistently and thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well, that was a classic example of corporate nonsense.

I love this place, but hats off to those who work in spite of all that nonsensical doublespeak and just get on with running things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Well, that was a classic example of corporate nonsense.

+1

I hope Terry gets the job - whether he applied or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This thread is like an episode of the Apprentice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK then, money where your mouth is time. :)

Whoever can draft the best job spec that conveys what's in that one, would make sense to both a Boardsie and non-Boardsie alike, would be at home on a job listings web page like Adverts Jobs and has less "corporate speak" - I'll give them a year's subscription.

It's not as easy as you might think ;)

Do you want to get paid to surf the internet all day and get beaten badly at quake over a LAN?

Can you CC people in on emails and type without using smileys?

Do you have long hair?

Do you have a working knowledge of Magic: The gathering tournament rules edition April 2012?

Do you own a shirt?

Do you wish to work in a community which appreciates your love for long hair, quake and magic the gathering and sympathises with you that wearing your shirt sucks?

Please forward your CV through world of warcraft, second life, or in the form of a magic the gathering card to Q2DM3@boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Do you own a shirt?

Ah here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's all very simple, guys. Going forward, boards.ie is reaching out to it's customers and hoping to expedite the process of becoming Ireland's most dynamic and exciting outside-the-box thinkers.

The need to get all their ducks in a row. They're looking under the bonnet and at the end of the day they need to brainstorm and hire a lateral thinker who gives 110%. That's all.

I have to say my weakness is giving 120%. I am often told I work too hard with a good team focus. I live to work, not work to live. At the end of the day though, it is a game of two halves and I think you will all be in agreement with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Being able to bring cakes to the office is a big plus, a HUGE plus.

Advertisement