Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Three Network please

Options
  • 14-04-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all - I'm a newbie so apologies if this has been covered already.

I'm looking at switching to Three network (pay monthly flexi Plan) from Vodafone perfect choice 200. Also to bundle with mobile broadband, which Three are offering 15gb for €15.00 versus 5gb from Vodafone.

I've no experience of Three network, customer service, add hidden extras to be wary of.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am with 3, I have no issues, customer service not great (but with 3 on boards it helps). In my eyes, they have the best value plans.

Just to bear in mind, unless you sign up to the phone + tablet deal, you are no longer allowed to tether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Order a prepay SIM
    & test out what sort of 3G coverage you can get on your phone at home/work/out & about before doing anything.

I've no experience of their broadband, but have a browse through the Talk to Three forum to see what others have to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ShirleyBassey

Great Tips....thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nesneros

I'd be careful. Lots of hidden charges, like voicemail calls, admin charges if you recieve paper billing or are not signed up to direct debit. Also, coverage on the move is terrible. I'm travelling a lot in my job and if I'm on a call, it drops when moving between cell's. That never used to happen on O2.
    And their customer service is TRULY terrible. It borders on harrassment if you are past your bill payment date, even if its just a couple of Euro outstanding, by a day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When Three works, it is actually brilliant. The problem is when it doesn't work, customer service is rubbish, if you need anything done you will get charged, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Nesneros wrote: »
    I'd be careful. Lots of hidden charges, like voicemail calls, admin charges if you recieve paper billing or are not signed up to direct debit. Also, coverage on the move is terrible. I'm travelling a lot in my job and if I'm on a call, it drops when moving between cell's. That never used to happen on O2.
    And their customer service is TRULY terrible. It borders on harrassment if you are past your bill payment date, even if its just a couple of Euro outstanding, by a day or 2.

You can get hullomail to get around the voicemail issue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ShirleyBassey

I bit the bullet and signed up for 18th months......
    Re. the voicemail - lucky I saw this post and the 3 guy told me to:

1) contact 1913 their customer service and ask to disable my voicemail
    2) download the hullomail app from android market. My eyes did start to glaze over at this point but I managed it, peronsalised my voicemail and it seems to be working fine. Only noticed it rings a longer time before going to voicemail.

Anyway - so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't forget Cabbage for your 333 free texts use them before your flexi units. Get it in the market and get the pin code you need for it here http://webtext.three.ie/register by putting in your email and phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

or jellysms if you don't like cabbage water.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

Looking for advice please! Currently with vodafone but contract has expired so I'm free to move. I need more texts than minutes and I'd like a smart phone. Is the deal on 3 with free Iphone and 'all you can eat data' as good as it appears? €40.66 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

embereve wrote: »
    Looking for advice please! Currently with vodafone but contract has expired so I'm free to move. I need more texts than minutes and I'd like a smart phone. Is the deal on 3 with free Iphone and 'all you can eat data' as good as it appears? €40.66 per month.
    The iPhone on 3 has problems switching between 2G and 3G networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

So do android phones. Also the iphone is not free, it will cost an absolute fortune over the life of the contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

srsly78 wrote: »
    So do android phones. Also the iphone is not free, it will cost an absolute fortune over the life of the contract.

€975 including 2 years of calls, data and texts as against paying at least €600 for the phone alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

Fair enough but I'd still have to pay for calls, texts & data anyway, €375 seems ok for 2 yrs worth???

Yes but you can get a galaxy2 simfree for about e200 less than an iphone. Galaxy2 is a much better device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yes but you can get a galaxy2 simfree for about e200 less than an iphone. Galaxy2 is a much better device.

SII is a great phone, do you have a link to it for 200 euro less than an iphone?

Just google it, you can see it on sale in loads of places. My figure was a ballpark one, you might even be able to get a better deal than that. Price is gonna drop even more very soon, when sgs3 is released.

I see it on expansys.ie for e511, and I'm sure you can get much better price than that.
    edit: GBP£380 on amazon.co.uk.

Advertisement