Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash work in NYC/USA??

Options
  • 14-04-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So here's the deal...

I'm a qualified engineer with a few years experience which is no good to me here in Ireland! I've a couple of friends that are working in NYC and other parts of America but are illegal BUT are there for quite a while and have gone unnoticed!

Is it worth my while chancing my arm and landing over to look for work in an Irish Bar or do some construction work to keep me going for a while until I look for a company to sponsor my Visa application?!

Any thoughts or advice from people who have done something similar or knows somebody who worked there like this would be appreciated!

Thanks people! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

TheDude87 wrote: »
    So here's the deal...

I'm a qualified engineer with a few years experience which is no good to me here in Ireland! I've a couple of friends that are working in NYC and other parts of America but are illegal BUT are there for quite a while and have gone unnoticed!

Is it worth my while chancing my arm and landing over to look for work in an Irish Bar or do some construction work to keep me going for a while until I look for a company to sponsor my Visa application?!

Any thoughts or advice from people who have done something similar or knows somebody who worked there like this would be appreciated!

Thanks people! :D

Absolutely no chance of getting a visa if you are there illegally. Wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No- if you are found out you will be deported and may face a lifetime ban from the USA.
    You can use your 90 days on the VWP to try and find a sponsor by attending interviews etcl, but you cannot work during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheDude87

Yeah I realise the penalties if you're caught working illegally, pretty tough!

Anyone know of Irish/American companies sponsoring lately? I know it costs around the $4k mark which I would be willing to pay to get out there!

Would it be worth a shot going out for a month and trying to persuade a company to 'sponsor' me because of my qualifications and experience?!

Cheers people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

They are certainly more likely to hire you if you can do an interview in-person. I'd start of by checking out monster and indeed.com and see if there is a market for your skills first.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Also, just to mention - its illegal for you to pay for the visa sponsorship. That must come from the company.......so much red tape!:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement