Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotspot on new iPad.

• 14-04-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

Three UK just released carrier update OTA to enable hotspot on the new iPad. This appears to work already when using a Meteor or eMobile SIM. Not sure if Three Ireland have done the same but can confirm that 3 Italia have not.

Nice to see it working at last (in some jurisdictions).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Does 3UK still have 3 Like Home on PAYG and what kind of smallish data bundles are possible to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

bkehoe wrote: »
    Does 3UK still have 3 Like Home on PAYG and what kind of smallish data bundles are possible to buy?

No they don't, they left the scheme, so it is of absolutely no value to Irish customers.

Irish customers are much better off with a 3IRL PAYG SIM with 20€ on board for AYCE data to use here and in the UK. Or, for more casual use, a 4,99€ data add-on, on a normal PAYG SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Yeah thats what I've used for the last year. A pity as 3 IE will never enable the personal hotspot though; they've withdrawn tethering on new contracts since the beginning of the year.

bkehoe wrote: »
    Yeah thats what I've used for the last year. A pity as 3 IE will never enable the personal hotspot though; they've withdrawn tethering on new contracts since the beginning of the year.

A fair point. However, they may have a different attitude to both dedicated iPad SIMs and mobile broadband SIMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Maxamber

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but maybe someone can help? I contacted Apple about the personal hotspot option not being visible on my new iPad (64G wifi & 4G) and they referred me to the carrier, Vodafone.

Long story short, as my contract with them does allow this once it's enabled, Vodafone said they are awaiting a software update to be pushed to them by Apple, then the hotspot option would be enabled (over air, I assume). Apple confirmed this, but neither they nor Vodafone could give any idea when the update might happen.

So, I was wondering whether anyone here would know any more about this? I'm really pleased with the iPad and can tether using my iPhone hotspot BUT the personal hotspot was a big seller for me, and it'd be great to have some idea when and if a carrier update might issue-I'm not the only one wondering, I hope??? Any info gratefully received!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Maxamber wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but maybe someone can help? I contacted Apple about the personal hotspot option not being visible on my new iPad (64G wifi & 4G) and they referred me to the carrier, Vodafone.

Long story short, as my contract with them does allow this once it's enabled, Vodafone said they are awaiting a software update to be pushed to them by Apple, then the hotspot option would be enabled (over air, I assume). Apple confirmed this, but neither they nor Vodafone could give any idea when the update might happen.

So, I was wondering whether anyone here would know any more about this? I'm really pleased with the iPad and can tether using my iPhone hotspot BUT the personal hotspot was a big seller for me, and it'd be great to have some idea when and if a carrier update might issue-I'm not the only one wondering, I hope??? Any info gratefully received!

Vodafone are the only ones that can tell you.

Very few networks offer this -I believe the carriers were somewhat caught on the hop. So far all I know of are Meteor in Ireland, 3 in the UK and Free in France.

Thank you both for replying, I'm a bit wiser now. I sort of thought that if Three had issued an update then all the carriers would get one around the same time.

Obviously it doesn't necessarily work that way, but it would have been nice to know about the gap beforehand. I'll see what Vodafone can tell me, if anything: then just wait, I guess.

We're in a bit of a black spot for coverage so I don't know if Meteor would even work, nobody around here seems to use them. I wonder was it intentional on Apple's part to sell without full carrier support, or is it just one of those things? Anyway, many thanks!

Thank you both for replying, I'm a bit wiser now. I sort of thought that if Three had issued an update then all the carriers would get one around the same time.

Obviously it doesn't necessarily work that way, but it would have been nice to know about the gap beforehand. I'll see what Vodafone can tell me, if anything: then just wait, I guess.

We're in a bit of a black spot for coverage so I don't know if Meteor would even work, nobody around here seems to use them. I wonder was it intentional on Apple's part to sell without full carrier support, or is it just one of those things? Anyway, many thanks!

Only 3UK issued the update, not 3 IRL.

Bear in mind that carriers may not wish to support tethering or sharing of data on the new iPad -it is really up to them. Apple create the facility, the carriers then implement it.

I understand, Culabula, and thank you. Just hoping that as I got the impression talking to them that it would be supported, that Vodafone will implement the personal hotspot function at some point reasonably soon. They seem to be ok about most things so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 miajra

does anybody know how to enable it on O2 billpay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I bought the iPad directly from Apple, but can't see the option either. Do I need to stick in a Meteor SIM or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 miajra

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I bought the iPad directly from Apple, but can't see the option either. Do I need to stick in a Meteor SIM or something?

I tried that already as I had seen that it worked for some Aussies... no such luck though :(

Advertisement