Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If You Knew You Were Leaving Ireland For Good - Would You Rack Up Debt?

• 14-04-2012 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Title says it all. I don't know how true it is; but I've had international students that are going to be in Ireland for 3.5 years or so tell me they are planning on getting credit cards, using them to buy stuff, and never repaying them.

I figure that's got to be illegal, but it's seems obviously wrong to me. They seem to think that banks rip them off, so they should do the same.

What would you do?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well speaking for the non-thieving non-scumbag section of the population I pays me debts and don't need to attempt to justify stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i would like to think i would settle my debts before leaving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

No, its a scumbag thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

no way I'd rob dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Popcorn. Nom, nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its sad to see many people lacking in integrity and moral fibre. I'm straight up and legit, I don't steal from any person/organisation no matter who they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

inflation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tell those students to stay in their own country if that's going to be their attitude once they get here

We have enough scammers of our own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

pacquiao wrote: »
    I guess you clowns don't understand inflation.

Clowns understand inflation very well I'll have you know... you think those balloon animals blown themselves up?

As for running up debt and running away... enough bankers did that and let us with the bill, so I'd not do it. The rest of us will only be left with that bill too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

In the words of a famous Finn "Pacta sunt servanda".

Man of honour never walk away from their obligations. Anyway the idea you can run away from your debts is becoming outdated in a globalised world.

• Advertisement

Lots of Irish people did this during the boom and fecked up the country. They are all getting away with it so I can see why the foreign students would see it as attractive.
    I wouldn't be tempted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I could pretend i'd give two squirts of p*ss and have some moral integrity, but if it's a massive franchise such as M&S, tommy hilfiger, PC world, (you get the picture), well then yes and i'd sleep like a baby after it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Robdude wrote: »
    I've had international students that are going to be in Ireland for 3.5 years or so tell me they are planning on getting credit cards, using them to buy stuff, and never repaying them.

So you reported them to the credit card companies then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

Profiler wrote: »
    Clowns understand inflation very well I'll have you know... you think those balloon animals blown themselves up?

As for running up debt and running away... enough bankers did that and let us with the bill, so I'd not do it. The rest of us will only be left with that bill too.
    i never wrote that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Seems to be a lot of moralfags on AH today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

It is stealing and I would never do it. But how many of people here saying it's for scumbags would happily download a piece of software or video game without paying for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Hobbes wrote: »
    So you reported them to the credit card companies then?

To be perfectly honest; I was hoping people here might have suggestions.

First, they haven't done anything wrong yet. It's just a group of students who all decided they'd get credit cards and use them/pay them off like regular people do for the next 3-4years or so. Then, immediately before leaving, they'd max them out and leave.

Second, I don't know any of the details - like which credit card or bank it is; so I wasn't sure who I could tell. I'm a little hesitant to get involved - I was shocked and amazed that a student from another country could get a credit card here - I don't know how she did it; but she had one and the others say they are actively trying to get them.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    It is stealing and I would never do it. But how many of people here saying it's for scumbags would happily download a piece of software or video game without paying for it?

Haha - fair enough. I have downloaded music and movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Would I rob a bank and run? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

They seem to think that banks rip them off, so they should do the same.
    On what basis do these 'students' think the banks are ripping them off?? :confused: Free banking? Low interest rates on their huge savings? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

btard wrote: »
    Doing the right thing is so uncool. Up with evil. :rolleyes:

On an unrelated topic, lot of nihilist emo teens on AH today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If You Knew You Were Leaving Ireland For Good - Would You Rack Up Debt?
    No. Absolutely not.
    I would be possibly effecting someone else's livelihood that might add to their problems of trying to stay a float in a make or break situation.
    I wouldn't like it to be me in that situation and so I'd also hate to think that I might have help put someone in that predicament too.
    They might have a partner, wife or husband, handicapped or healthy kids that depend on them as bread earners too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

pacquiao wrote: »
    i never wrote that

Yes you did. You edited your post, but you did write that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

btard wrote: »

Lol I know rite, whats up with that!?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

If I found myself in the situation of having no job & having to leave Ireland I'd have no issue leaving debt behind.
    I would not try to accumulate debt with no intention of ever paying it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Title says it all. I don't know how true it is; but I've had international students that are going to be in Ireland for 3.5 years or so tell me they are planning on getting credit cards, using them to buy stuff, and never repaying them.

I figure that's got to be illegal, but it's seems obviously wrong to me. They seem to think that banks rip them off, so they should do the same.

What would you do?

Is it you Robdude :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

To be perfectly honest; I was hoping people here might have suggestions.

First, they haven't done anything wrong yet. It's just a group of students who all decided they'd get credit cards and use them/pay them off like regular people do for the next 3-4years or so. Then, immediately before leaving, they'd max them out and leave.

Second, I don't know any of the details - like which credit card or bank it is; so I wasn't sure who I could tell. I'm a little hesitant to get involved - I was shocked and amazed that a student from another country could get a credit card here - I don't know how she did it; but she had one and the others say they are actively trying to get them.
    First of all tough luck getting a credit card ive been employed for the last up 7 years mostly part-time rangin to full time,balance is always at least few thousand in main account,and have been refused cc two times,so if them clowns imagine that banks are giving away cards as pre recession they are late in terms of that.Might get few bill pay phones if their lucky,but without working your ass off at least 5 days a week full time you can forget any loans or credit cards,and even if gotten tudent one limit would be ridiculously low :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Has no one else realised the OP's name is Robdude/

I think this whole thread is a subliminal message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

surely this is not the first genius to think of this scam and there is some system in place to avoid this happening. Don't you have to give your student number when setting up a student account? Couldn't the bank just go to the college and get what info the college have? Surely leaving the country isn't sufficient to completely avoid debt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

mackg wrote: »
    surely this is not the first genius to think of this scam and there is some system in place to avoid this happening. Don't you have to give your student number when setting up a student account? Couldn't the bank just go to the college and get what info the college have? Surely leaving the country isn't sufficient to completely avoid debt?

Yeah but chances are they're here to learn english or whatever, then in their last month, go mad with the credit card and jet off never to be seen again. Would you care if you had outstanding debt in a foreign country you'll never go to again ? I certainly wouldn't :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Would you download a car? Will, would ya?

Would you download a car? Will, would ya?

Who's Will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Who's Will?

That guy.

*points into middle distance*

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Student credit cards have a limit of €400. AIB does anyway. I'd imagine the other banks are similar. In the time they are here they will pay govt stamp duty of €120 (4x€30), possibly more, plus whatever fees and interest they generate from their use in the intervening years.

scamalert wrote: »
    First of all tough luck getting a credit card ive been employed for the last up 7 years mostly part-time rangin to full time,balance is always at least few thousand in main account,and have been refused cc two times,so if them clowns imagine that banks are giving away cards as pre recession they are late in terms of that.Might get few bill pay phones if their lucky,but without working your ass off at least 5 days a week full time you can forget any loans or credit cards,and even if gotten tudent one limit would be ridiculously low :pac:

It seems the banks have special cards for students that are very easy to get.
    http://roi.mystudentbank.com/how-we-can-help/student-credit-card/

• Advertisement

I think the Bank of Ireland (or whatever other bank) would have a hell of a time tracking a Canadian or US student back to their country of origin and finding a way to get them to pay.

In the US at least, not repaying your credit card debt isn't a crime. It hurts your credit score which negatively impacts your ability to buy things like a house, for up to the next 7 years. But the credit agencies in the US don't collect information from foreign sources (and vice versa).

So, while I had excellent credit in the US and was a home-owner, none of that information makes it to Ireland. I have 'no credit' here. An Irish coworker of mine who went to the US confirmed that his Irish credit history did not follow him into the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It seems the banks have special cards for students that are very easy to get.
    http://roi.mystudentbank.com/how-we-can-help/student-credit-card/

Trust me, the credit limits on them are pittance.
    Besides, it's a tad silly to run up debts and bail, you never know when you may need to come back here in the future and it'll come back to bite you...

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Yeah but chances are they're here to learn english or whatever, then in their last month, go mad with the credit card and jet off never to be seen again. Would you care if you had outstanding debt in a foreign country you'll never go to again ? I certainly wouldn't :p

These are international veterinary and medical students; they'll be in Ireland for four years or so and then the majority of them will leave. A small percentage might try to find work/get a green card. The ones talking about this credit card scam are all intending to return to the US or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

surely this is not the first genius to think of this scam and there is some system in place to avoid this happening.
    Yes, I'm sure nobody has ever tried this on a bank before. I get the feeling the students will be in for an unpleasant surprise, especially if they have a judgement made against them in their absence.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure nobody has ever tried this on a bank before. I get the feeling the students will be in for an unpleasant surprise, especially if they have a judgement made against them in their absence.

Can you elaborate on what would happen in that case?

I'm assuming a judgement would be when the bank sues the debtor and the courts rule in the banks favour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'm assuming a judgement would be when the bank sues the debtor and the courts rule in the banks favour?
    Yeah and if you don't show up for the hearing you not only lose automatically, but you're in contempt of court, which means jail time. I don't think outstanding warrants for their arrest in an EU country will do their futures much good.

Its just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

No, 'cause that's a scummy thing to do

Doc Ruby wrote: »

Yeah and if you don't show up for the hearing you not only lose automatically, but you're in contempt of court, which means jail time. I don't think outstanding warrants for their arrest in an EU country will do their futures much good.

Its just not worth it.

Ah unless its L'oreal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

No point burning your bridges, never. Never say never you may comeback and with the increasingly interconnected banking world that debt will follow you.

Its not like a credit investigative body in Australia have to send a letter to Ireland to find your credit history. They just look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

wyndham wrote: »
    Student credit cards have a limit of €400. AIB does anyway. I'd imagine the other banks are similar. In the time they are here they will pay govt stamp duty of €120 (4x€30), possibly more, plus whatever fees and interest they generate from their use in the intervening years.

It's 600 for AIB. I still have mine and have refused to have the limit raised over the years. It's the only reason I've managed to max the card so many times and yet and not fcuked.

I honestly don't know if I'd max a card and then leave. But I do know there's loads of women I'd try to sleep with if I didn't have to see them ever again.

So, how's my moral fibre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

These are international veterinary and medical students; they'll be in Ireland for four years or so and then the majority of them will leave. A small percentage might try to find work/get a green card. The ones talking about this credit card scam are all intending to return to the US or Canada.

Where they may well be tracked down by local lawyers appointed by the likes of Visa and Mastercard etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I do know someone who bought themselves a cheapish car, nice mac book, dj equipment etc. on a regular credit card and then went home to Bangladesh two years ago (they'd been here years working, and obviously got the card before they stopped giving them to anyone) but they racked it up before they left knowing they were going for good.
    I would say your chances of being tracked down there would be pretty slim. Not condoning it btw.

Advertisement