Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My end of year photography book.

• 14-04-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just thought id share my book with you all.

its called 'The old dancing was lovely'.

this is a project ive been working on for a good few months now, i put up a post a few months back looking for c&c on it and that really helped me. this was that thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76134716.

so this is the final end of year book but i will continue shooting this project until i no longer can. im sure in the future this project will continue to evolve but for now this is it.

the book is on blurb, im sharing it so you can look at it in the way i would want it presented and not because im looking for sales because blurb pricing is ridiculous anyway and id make practically nothing from it lol :D

anyway hope you enjoy it (even a little bit)

the large 12x12 version http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/3130210

the small 7x7 version http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/3131639

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

The cover caught my eye immediately and I wanted to look more but the link opened to a blank page for me..
    did you get a printed copy for yourself, (nb, Blurb sometimes do discount codes, so google a bit and you could get 10-20% off..) and what was the overall quality like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Just happened on this because it was on the front page of boards - I know nothing of any importance about photography but I do know I found it a moving collection of photos. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

BengaLover wrote: »
    The cover caught my eye immediately and I wanted to look more but the link opened to a blank page for me..
    did you get a printed copy for yourself, (nb, Blurb sometimes do discount codes, so google a bit and you could get 10-20% off..) and what was the overall quality like?

hello, the blurb website uses a plug in, flash type thing for viewing the book, if you dont have these then maybe thats why it didnt work.? im not too sure why because the links are working from the post i made for me.

i have ordered a small 7x7 with premium paper and a large 12x12 with normal paper both with the dust cover and cloth hardcover. they haven't arrived yet though so i cant comment on quality but from the many reviews and books from past students, blurb do tend to have a high quality to their books.

i found codes for ordering my own one i got 14 euro off but that has since expired and this code 15OFFBOOK gets you 15% off so its handy enough :)

i hope you can get into the preview and have a proper look :)

WAPAIC wrote: »
    Just happened on this because it was on the front page of boards - I know nothing of any importance about photography but I do know I found it a moving collection of photos. Well done!

thank you very much, i appreciate that a lot. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

For me, this work is poetically beautiful. But I had already thought that on the first viewing of the original thread. Quite moving however tinged with sadness.

I think it is a body of work which is of momentous importance, at a personal level for you but also in demonstrating a direction which an individuals photography can develop. This is photography with a purpose. In years to come this will be very special for you and your wider family.

Has your gran viewed any of the work and if so what is her reaction? ( I don't particularly think that she might be bowled over by it, but that isn't the point of it either ).

nicely done and thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What you have there is something really really great. I remember you posted this awhile ago. It's still as good now even though I saw it ages ago.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

ah i was only revisiting your thread a while ago and wondering how you were getting on with them. seriously well done, it's a strong body of images and you should be very proud of 'em. i think my new favourite is the last one of the preview, the one with the trees and flowers reflected in the window? yeah... well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Very moving, poignant. God bless her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I think this is beautiful, as sad as it is. I love it

My first thought also was what does your grandmother think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Liked the preview back then and love the end product. Well done, really super result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

So many times you look at a photograph and think 'looks good', but that's as far as it goes. Your book does far more than that - it evokes so much feeling, and each picture is a gem. Brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing - and being inspirational - think I'm going to have a go myself, though I doubt I'd be half as good as you :)

Hope your grandmother's doing OK - take her to the garden centre again now the spring's here, seeing growing things is always a mood enhancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

A lovely set of photos - to be treasured.

hey everyone, thank you so much for your replies, its been great reading them and very encouraging.

the large book arrived today, the overall quality is great although the pictures have printed a little brighter than i would have liked i still think its pretty good. it might be a little too big for me but i have a small one ordered which arrives on monday so i can compare the feel of the books together then.

it feels weird having my pictures in book form though, its definitely a first, now lets hope my tutors like it when they mark me :D

i will be bringing both books to show my gran on monday so i will let ye know her reaction to it then.. i dont particularly think she will understand why some pics are in there and wont really get it in the way im trying to portray it.

anyway i must head out now if my head will fit out the door because of you all ;)

thanks a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Fantastic work. I'm sure Padraig will love it. When & where is the exhibition???

gerk86 wrote: »
    Fantastic work. I'm sure Padraig will love it. When & where is the exhibition???

whoa.. i take it you know the college then. the exhibition is on in the camden palace in cork on the 8th of june and runs for 2 weeks from then.

will probably make a post here on the photography board when i get the poster from one of the lads in class.

thanks for looking at the work :)

Advertisement