Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Spider season. It begins again...

• 14-04-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭

Was sitting watching the telly last night, and heard what sounded like a small horse walking across the wooden floor in the living room. Looked down and saw this huge fecking brown freak of a spider moving about like he owns the place. I went over to him while considering my options, and he just stopped, turned around and started staring at me like he wanted a fight!
    This is the third time now that I've had this experience with these big feckers, (the two previous were in the garage so it didnt bother me that much).

I trapped him in a big plastic popcorn bowl and put him out the back garden, and started to check online. If I had to guess, I'd say it seems it was a Giant House Spider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider

Now that I know that these yokes are quite common in houses, and there could be more lurking around, I feel itchy all over and have a horrible sense of many eyes peering at me from dark places. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Oh, and these ones can bite humans too. Nice.

So anyone else started seeing the cast of 8 legged freaks beginning to appear around their houses? Is it just me, or do they genuinely seem to be getting bigger every year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Was staying in a room that was a converted attic before and woke up with a huge spider on my face just might have been one of them, can't say for certain good few years ago now. Not too bothered by spiders but have to say i didn't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Dont think big ones have a season. All year round for them.
    If you only put him in garden chances are hell be back inside already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Best sleep with your mouth closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Dont think big ones have a season. All year round for them.
    If you only put him in garden chances are hell be back inside already.

Probably try to beat you back inside and lock you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

When you're having sex they all come out and watch. That's their thing.

Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

This!

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/4/4f/Thing11.JPG/600px-Thing11.JPG

Bluch! Ugly spindly bastards with their horrible alien consciousness and their millions of ****ing eggs. Spray citrus everywhere and get a cat if they're really giving you the creeps and you don't want to burn your house down.
    I destroy them. Splat. They're getting bigger. I noticed it last year and the year before. Everything else got smaller when I grew up. Spiders be on steroids yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Maybe he likes you, males can often be seen wandering around houses during the summer and early autumn looking for a mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

noticed freaking ants starting to appear as well so attacked on both sides tis the season of Giant Spiders and Ant Attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It's when they lay their eggs in your ear is what I don't like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why didnt you dance on his face when you saw him? letting him leave means he will tell all his friends your weak and they will all move in a **** your **** up homes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManTheSam

OP these spiders can lay eggs in your ears while you sleep. To make matters worse it's probably got a nest set up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Johro wrote: »
    Best sleep with your mouth closed.

And back to the wall too. Both rules that I live my life by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

And back to the wall too. Both rules that I live my life by.

Are we still talking about spiders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

killing spiderbro is bad karma, don't do that ****. They're harmless little buggers and they keep the flies away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

ah fcuk no. dog was creeping around the room last night in spider hunting mode, pouncing on invisible things in the corner. I still haven't looked to see what size it was but it was too close to the bed for comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

The really creepy thing about them apart from their size is how fcuking still they are. They can stay in the exact same place for days on end without moving at all. Then when you decide to crush them underfoot - zap! they're out of the gate like Usain Bolt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I have seen a few bigger than my hand a few times, but only outside and in really rural settings. But yeah, those somewhat big ones we see in our houses so often terrify me. I think they're called hobo spiders, and I have many a battle with them every year.

Last summer, one ran across my room towards me (cue me jumping and running a mile). By the time I got back upstairs with the hoover ready he scuttled into my printer :eek:. Good thing I watched eight legged freaks, and knew spiders hate strong smells! Blasted the printer with a bit of lynx and he was out like a shot! Sucked the fúcker up. :cool:

I also once woke my father up at 3am to get a spider off the wall above my bed. I was 18 at the time :o, and Im male.

one thing I have noted is that they start to appear inside around a day - 12hours before it rains.

Advertisement