Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Moment That Defined Your Life

• 14-04-2012 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28 IrishGeordie

You know the one. That one unequivocal moment where your life was summed up, whether it be that midnight snack you lunched on in 2006, that wild beast you valiantly battled in the spring of 08 or perhaps that one time you punched your boss in the face.

Which moment truly defined your life?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Whats your's OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Don't think that kind of thing exists, there is no "moral of the story". What happened to you to make you think different? I'm constantly changing as a person so any moment is only a snapshot in time and not reflective of where I've been or where I'm going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Archeron

The time I farted in religion class and it sounded like a round of applause by an octopus. That moment made me.

I'll get back to you when I'm 90 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

It was the midnight snack I lunched on in 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I once washed away my poop, puke and piss all in one flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Turned down a glorious opportunity of relative wealth and world travel combined in a job I would have loved. Now I'm saddled with heavy regret that will eat away at me forever, I'm destined to be the bitter fool at the bar who rages against modern society and anyone else's personal fulfillment cause deep down I know I had the chance to live the life I wanted and I threw it away, remember that boy I hope your drink is worth it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Turned down a glorious opportunity of relative wealth and world travel combined in a job I would have loved. Now I'm saddled with heavy regret that will eat away at me forever, I'm destined to be the bitter fool at the bar who rages against modern society and anyone else's personal fulfillment cause deep down I know I had the chance to live the life I wanted and I threw it away, remember that boy I hope your drink is worth it.

OK You win this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

The day my daughter was born and I realised that my life was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The first time I smoked a joint. It was a slippery slope from there on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

The day my daughter was born and I realised that my life was good.
    Same here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Same here :pac:

She is 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

1976 - when I realised you didn't have to live a 'normal' life in order to be happy. It involved a vegetable garden, a well, and a donkey :) Gave me something to aspire to, and all these years later, here I am, living the dream! (That was not ironic, I AM living my 1976 dream!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Darkginger wrote: »
    1976 - when I realised you didn't have to live a 'normal' life in order to be happy. It involved a vegetable garden, a well, and a donkey :)Gave me something to aspire to, and all these years later, here I am, living the dream! (That was not ironic, I AM living my 1976 dream!).

gerard depardieu is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I haven't had my moment yet but I'm really looking forward to it whatever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Who was she? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

fIgURing hoW to use The CapS lock BUTton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I don't know, mostly bad shit that made me realise how fcuking awful people can really be and demonstrate how absolutely insignificant your life is. Then you wake up and with nothing left to lose you start doing what you want with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

2005-Touched my first real life boob:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

John Doe1 wrote: »

your ma's ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Oui, c'est moi - busted encore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lippy C

Went to pilates with friend she let rip (anal) with channel no.5 ...class number 2 her mobile rang (ring tone was big girls you are beautiful)...we were asked sorry TOLD not to return to class...kinda a defining moment ...pilates is not for us:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

John Doe1 wrote: »

:) Male or female :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I was once in the middle of the conjugal act when the playlist on shuffle played that Big Girls You Are Beautiful and ruined everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

One of them for me is the time I gave up drinking alcohol,One of the best decisions I have ever made for myself,pity I didn't do it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

realies wrote: »
    :) Male or female :)

He's after admitting it was his. What was it John, a freak hormonal imbalance or something glandular? Has the other one sprouted yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The moment I made it into the OED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

That first taste of vagina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Thus far, having an epiphany soon after hitting rock bottom last year and replacing everything in my life I was doing because I "should" with things I actually wanted to do, and equipping myself with a fun new Carpe Diem attitude, I actually hope it remains my defining moment because that would mean a life well lived in my book.

Although as is the way with defining moments we could just go back further to any of the multitude of moments that lead to that one and pick them, but it's good to have something for the "About the Author" section of the self help book I evidently must write reading back on this post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

No single moment really, there were moments that put me on a pathway to other moments that put me on a path to other moments and on it goes.

I read something in a book today about New York, E B White ( Don't know either) wrote if you want to live in New York you should be willing to be lucky. I understand that, he meant not just "lucky" but "willing" to be lucky. The same for anywhere really.

My regrets are I should have said yes a lot more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I had this moment where I changed as a person even though those changes took more than a year to become truly apparent to myself. I was rejected by someone that meant everything to me it was outside Connolly they were playing the same old head games they said something really stupid and was thinking about themsevles only and I walked away and had this intense moment where there was no turning back I decided not to be on their long finger but it was when I was walking away on that cool dry night all I could think to myself was you have to stop being an eejit and it was that moment that I stopped putting all my energy into pleasing others and fixing things that I couldn't, it was an intense epiphany and so simple but I've never been the same since, that night I had one of the worst feelings in the pit of my stomach but it was defiantly an oh yeah? moment, which is strange because there are more significant moments and worse events in my life but nothing effected me like the night I decided to stop being such a dope and take control of my own life rather than being a victim of it or a wandering relying on others for validation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In my 28th year of life I realised I was nothing special and had to knuckle down and get on with it like everyone else.

Always said if I had money, my kids won't see a cent before their 28th birthday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This may sound corny but:

I was coming home from work on the subway (New York), and covered in dirt and sweat (working construction). There were no seats available so I had to stand for an hour hanging onto a strap, utterly exhausted. And then I looked up at an advertisement, which proclaimed "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

And that was the defining moment for me, because I made an immediate decision. I started going to night classes at College, gave up drink, and after graduating with a degree, worked on becoming financially stable for the first time in my life. Everything domino-ed (in a positive way) after that, and now "life is good", with an excellent standard of living and great hope for the future.

Advertisement