Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First film you saw in a Cinema??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Watership down 1978 (I was 5). Old cinema in Bray at the end of Meath Road/Albert Avenue. Can't remember what it was called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I think it was Star Wars! Only saw it again about two months ago :D. Not as good as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 34 troubledagain

Neverending story.....a classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It was Care Bears in the Ambassador

Same, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Popeye movie in 1980,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Land Before Time, damn sharp tooth scared the hell out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

I think it was Star Wars! Only saw it again about two months ago :D. Not as good as I remember

Me too I think it was star wars too at least I like to think it was :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

My first was Jurassic Park in the old cinema in Clonmel. I think I was 8 or 9 at the Time. Remember being terrified during the opening scene with the raptor cages. Still one of my favorite movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

The Black Couldron, I think it was a Disney movie in the mid 80s. I was more enthralled by the cinema than the movie.

God damn that was a rickety old stairs in the town hall theatre in Galway. I always preferred the Claddagh Palace in lower Salthill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Popeye. For those that remember back then, the Popeye cartoon was on RTE everyday just before the news. So when the film came out I really wanted to see it.

The next one was ET, in the cinema that used to be on middle abbey st. And then a few months later, Snow White was re-released. I think I might have actually cried at those two (I was 5)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Either Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Moonwalker.
    Cant remember which was 1st

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Godfather in 1972 when I was 5. It was at a drive-in in Toronto and admittedly I didn't see much of the film as myself, my sister and our Canadian cousin were smuggled in behind the front seats and told to stay hidden. We did take the odd sneak peek, but really spent most of the time eating popcorn or throwing it at each other.

First film I actually watched was Robin Hood when I was 7. It was on in the New Metropole (now the Screen beside Trinity), and I remember being sorely disappointed that it was a Disney film rather than live action and that Robin Hood was a fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

on a family holiday to Kerry when i was 5, a cinema was playing Lady and the Tramp as part of the Kids Club type thing they did! that was 96 i think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

gremlins in the capial in cork...long time ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

first animated movie i saw in the cinema was either Aladin or Beauty and the beast :), they had the aladin style cups for your drink, that was back when youd get a kids popcorn deal for free or for like 1.50 or something when going to a kids movie :)
    UCI coolock, that used to be my usual cinema for a lot of my childhood, and quite a bit of my teenhood :D

The first actual movie, not cartoon, i saw in the cinema was Robin Hood, the one with kevin costner! still remember going to see that to this day, thought the witch was going to come through the screen at some point- no idea why though :confused::o and developed my first proper celebrity crush on the Sheriff in it - Alan Rickman :o, but only him as the Sheriff apparrantly!
    and had the first song ever i learnt all the words to by heart, the Bryan Adams one from it, still love it to this day! :)
    I was 5 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The Indian In The Cupboard

Went to see it with one of the lads in my class, his mother bought us...Remember thinking the movie was great, but have since re-watched it and only meh at best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Beauty and the Beast, 1991, with my Dad, my brother and my sister. I think I ate Fox's Glacier Mints.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Three Men & a Little Lady.. I remember it like it was yesterday.. still one of my favorite films, that and Three Men & a Baby .. Not exactly Oscar material but heartwarming and crammed with foxy 80's pinup men :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

xzanti wrote: »
    Three Men & a Little Lady.. I remember it like it was yesterday.. still one of my favorite films, that and Three Men & a Baby .. Not exactly Oscar material but heartwarming and crammed with foxy 80's pinup men :D

:D

I know!!! I grew up and was like 'where are the men like that?' :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

:D

I know!!! I grew up and was like 'where are the men like that?' :D

I think Tom Selleck is still one of THE hottest men alive :D grrrrrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Tom and Jerry I think.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

The first "older" film I remember, I went with my grandparents at night to see "McKennas Gold", a western. About a million years ago in the Kenilworth cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

condorman :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think it was bambi when i was about 4 or 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was awesome.

You hear that Micheal Bay ninjas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Star Wars in the Savoy on screen 1 - way back in 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    developed my first proper celebrity crush on the Sheriff in it - Alan Rickman :o, but only him as the Sheriff apparrantly!

Not Morgan Freeman?

A young girl with a crush on Alan Rickman. That's a little odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Flubber when I was five in Athlone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

marty1985 wrote: »
    Not Morgan Freeman?

A young girl with a crush on Alan Rickman. That's a little odd.

ha! i know, i can see what i would have liked about him now in that movie, but then?! ive no idea tbh :eek::)
    my dad still says, whenever this is on tv, "theres your boyfriend" :rolleyes::o
    he still remembers me telling him i was going to marry the Sheriff of Nottingham from the movie :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Free Willy in 1993 when I was 9 on holidays in England, there weren't any cinemas near where I grew up. My next memory of going to the cinema is from 1996, when myself and my father and one of his friends made the trek to Dunmanway cinema to see Michael Collins, and everyone clapped and cheered at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Care bears - never let no bitch dictate. Could have been Temple of Doom!

The search for Spock, I think it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Miracle on 34th Street for my 9th birthday in Portlaoise :)
    Still love it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

"Flight of the navigator" watched it again on tv the other day, class film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Kelly's Heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Crocodile Dundee,

I was 8 at the time, missed the best part "That's not knife, this is a knife"
    by going to the toilet god damn it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Flash Gordon. 1981, I think.

Twas alright.

Queen soundtrack was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Star Wars in 1978 in the cinema in stillorgan ( the big one with one screen , now a poxy multiplex )
    i was 6 and i had never seen anything like it , would explane my love for the early star wars movies

the first one i seen on my own was in the same cinema , Digby - the worlds biggest dog :D

i came out of the star wars screening in awe - still remember it like yesterday

and i must say im REALLY surprised how feck1n young ya all are , why are you not out trying to get your hand up some young ones top ????? ( or for the ladies , trying to stop said young fella getting his hand up )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Fern Gully with my dad and my younger sister. I would have been no more than four years old. I remember a very old fashioned cinema with red curtains that opened in front of the screen and a big chandelier that freaked my sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

The Lion King at about 4 or 5 in old Classic cinema in Harold's Cross.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

The Jungle Book - I think in The Savoy, maybe 1970 ish :o

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

Free Willy... was into animals in a big way. the kid annoyed me even then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Because the Hunger games was such a pile of shyte, that maybe the last film I see in the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

First film I saw was 'All Dogs go to Heaven' with my aunt, uncle and cousin. It was in The Ambassador and afterwards we went round to The Rotunda to visit my newly born brother :)! That was 24 years ago! I don't remember having popcorn but I do remember getting a tub of ice-cream with the lime and raspberry syrup in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Return to Oz :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Mrs. Doubtfire

FOOK I was 4 :eek: (and a half)

I remember eating a cornetto at it, possibly my first one of those too... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

A film about Saint Bernadette. I was in Lourdes on a pilgrimage at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Police accaðemy 6 I think . Long time ago .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

branie wrote: »
    A film about Saint Bernadette. I was in Lourdes on a pilgrimage at the time

things could only get better:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement