Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First film you saw in a Cinema??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This ball-bag on nonsense (perhaps its good, can't remember).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

things could only get better:)

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Very possibly Home Alone iirc. The popcorn was bigger than me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Short Circuit. I remember getting emotional when they were beating up Johnny 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sockpuppets

"Dude where's my car"
    only time i ever walked out of a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭madmammy

mrs doubtfire think i was around 15/16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
    What a great first movie to see as a 10 year old. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Home Alone ( 1st one ) . UCI in Tallaght. I even took me shoes and socks off :) -- Don't ask me why.. I was about 7 at the time lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

Either The Lion King in 1994 or Toy Story in 1995 - in the old Adelphi cinema in Dundalk. Brilliant spot that. Also distinctly remember being taken to see Inspector Gadget in the Adelphi in 1999 by my "cool" youngest auntie. My parents weren't mad into the cinema unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 alkymalky

Superman The Movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

mine was JAWS 3d. it was amazing when you were 3 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The first one I can actually remember being at is Space Jam.

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kennyboy9563

True Grit 1969 in the old Metropole cinema on Princes Street beside the GPO where Penneys is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Carlton Cinema Dublin, 1979 - Star Wars. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

dont know if it was my first but remember lion king when I was smaller devastated his dad died lol scarred for life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

The Matrix in 1999. I know, I know... I'm still a kid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Santa Claus the movie in the old rat infested dump of a cinema in Tralee.

Happy days! Can still remember the fusty old smell and the crappy projector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

ET, in the Savoy. I pulled the veil off a nun in the row in front of me from sitting on the chair while it was 'up' (and falling off repeatedly). Then Romancing the Stone and The Black Cauldron (both in the Ambassador). Then Big Trouble in Little China in the Classic in Harold's Cross.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

NeVeR wrote: »
    Home Alone ( 1st one ) . UCI in Tallaght. I even took me shoes and socks off :) -- Don't ask me why.. I was about 7 at the time lol.

If it was a special preview showing, I was wondering what that smell was :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Lady and The Tramp around '95 on holidays in Tralee. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The epic "Stop, or my mom will shoot" in the old cinema in Ennis, I forget what it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The Jungle Book either in Regal Theatre, Clonmel or Oakwood, Carrigaline - mid 70's. We went twice about a year apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Popeye in 1980. Robin Williams was Popeye.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081353/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

It was a Saturday matinee, and they were showing Mary Poppins, summer 1974. I went on my own too. The cinema's a bookshop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think it was The Black Cauldron. Or maybe it was Peter Pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Robin Hood. The Disney one with the foxes, bears, lions and a snake. Great movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070608/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The Muppet Movie (1979). I lost it when Animal took "insta-grow" pills and turned into a giant, frightened the cr*p outta me.
    2nd time was Empire Strikes Back, guess what, lost it when Luke lost his hand/gained a crap Dad and Han got frozen in carbonite.
    I was scared of the fold-up chairs too, thought they could snap up while I was sitting in them and squash me like a toasted sandwitch.
    A harrowing start to a long since happy love affair with the movie theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

High Spirits, a long forgotten Peter O'Toole vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

The Lion King in the Savoy on O'Connell Street in Dublin. Mam and Dad bought us those huge jelly cola bottles too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 krusty_10

Airport 1975 - followed by The Towering Inferno. I thought Jaws was my first movie, but these were out the previous year in 1974. I just remember the Jaws one more because I was 9 and my dad took me to an evening showing. It was dark when I arrived home and I ran with fear from the car to the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"All Dogs Go To Heaven" around 1989 in Stillorgan. I would've been 5 or 6.

Haven't seen it since, think I'll watch it tonight! Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jurassic Park. First one I think, was like 5. Was in cinema with the 'careful now' Father Ted scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

The little rascals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

The Hitcher (1986) - the original, haven't seen the 2007 remake.

Mmmm, chips with ketchup. Wait, that's not a chip...... and that's not ketchup........... aaaaaaaarrrrrrrghhhhhhh !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Star Wars and Empire Strikes back double bill in the old Fairview cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

The Empire Strikes Back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

The Three Musketeers (1993)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Topgun, it doesn't get much better than that for a nine year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

King Solomon's Mines, in Waterford. Myself and the Da... Some things just stick in the memory, as we didn't even have a TV (or neighbors with TVs) back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Draydis80

The santa claus movie with dudley moore, can't remember what year though. Saw it in the Savoy in Limerick city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

My sisters were forced to bring me to see an Elvis movie in the Adelphi some time in the late 70's. Nobody can remember which one it was and I was about 4 at the time.:p

Superman is the first movie I can remember going to see in the Adelphi too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Herbie, The Love Bug in The Savoy in Sligo. I bought sweets and a can of Rio in with me.

Hot day outside, hot enough inside the cinema, went to open the can and it exploded all over me and about five people in my immediate vicinity. I was so shocked I didn't see the thicko in front of me get up and try to hit me a slap. He was about 20 I was a timid 11 year old but he missed and knocked the can out of my hand straight into the face of a even bigger guy next to me. Cue argy bargy between the two, me getting the hell out of there and leaving at least 5 seats of the Savoy stickier than they already were.

Never did see what happened to Herbie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Monsters Inc. in Castlebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think it was "Allien". My parents took me to cinema to watch that. I know I was around 5 years old. Did not had a clue wtf is happening on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'm not sure. Maybe Toy Story. Oh no wait, The Lion King!!

• Advertisement

JURASSIC FCUKING PARK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

maiden wrote: »
    What was the first film you saw in the cinema??? I went with my older sister to see Return From Witch Mountain, 1978 I think! The queue was huge!

Was there only one screen? Did you bring a bag of sweets with you or were you posh and had money to spend there?

Wasn't long before I did my fair share of shiftin' in the cinema, in the double seats behind the people in steerage stalls!

Not still with your sister, right...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Star Wars, 1977.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Never been to the cinema. But I used to watch Glenroe on the telly with my dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The epic "Stop, or my mom will shoot" in the old cinema in Ennis, I forget what it's called.

The Burren Cinema

• Advertisement
Advertisement