Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets play, The Renovation Game!

• 14-04-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the renovation game.To be in with a chance of a big fat Thanks from me, place these steps in the correct for getting a bungalow modenrised:

But seriously, taking on a modernisation on a 40s bungalow that was last updated in the 80's. I will be managing it myself and doing as much work as possible apart from the plumbing/elecs/window install. Looking for advice on what job to prioritize. Thanks.

- update all electrics
    - new plumbing inc boiler, rads, bathroom
    - remove existing plasterboard
    - knock through block wall from kitchen to next room (rsj needed maybe?)
    -insulate walls and replaster
    - replace windows/external doors
    - sand wood floors and lacquer
    - ventilation?
    - bathroom suite install
    - kitchen install
    - paint/decorate

While I have a general idea of how this should go, and the site can't be seen, I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced folk on here. If there is anything I am missing I'd appreciate it also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

well id start off by gutting the place down to the bare joists and start from there...if you start doing different bits and pieces it`ll come back to bite you in the arse and you`ll end up having a feckin heart attack....i presume you are a builder as it wouldn`t really be advisable for an amateur to take on a job like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

well id start off by gutting the place down to the bare joists and start from there...if you start doing different bits and pieces it`ll come back to bite you in the arse and you`ll end up having a feckin heart attack....i presume you are a builder as it wouldn`t really be advisable for an amateur to take on a job like this

Thanks Jasper,

Yes I will be getting professional help, I want to get a gauge of the sequence as it will come down to budget to. I will be saving as we build so it will be happening in stages.

I imagine I need to have a good idea of kitchen layout before deciding on electrics. Anything else i should look for when planning electrics layout?

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Make sure that the proffessional trades people you get in for the various trades are FULLY qualified and insured too.And they have references too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A trip here this weekend comming,may be very well worth your while too...................

http://www.idealhome.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

double check your kitchen measurements....then check them again to make sure all you wires and plumbing are going in the right place....and check the people you get working for ya aswell.... there's a hell of a lot of cowboys out there..you need to check are the walls insulated and that no damp is getting thru..if there not you can either get a company to pump insulation in to the wall or else put insulated plaster board on them...the kitchen should be one of the last things on your agenda,theres nothing worse than putting a kitchen in only to realise you`ve forgotten to do some other job and have to take it back out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

thanks lads,

Surveyor in once offer is accepted. hopefully should help me regarding damp and roof issues

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

- update all electrics - 2 stages, plan early
    - new plumbing inc boiler, rads, bathroom-as above, plan early and insulate pipwork , allow for water tank replacements etc
    - remove existing plasterboard, ye you can probably do this early in the process yourself, just watch for elec or pipes.
    - knock through block wall from kitchen to next room (rsj needed maybe?) - engineer!
    -insulate walls and replaster - don't dry line, especially if youve damp or lack of ventilation (your 40's build will have single block external wall .. by placing insulation on the inside, at modern levels, you risk the due point/ condensation forming between the insulation and the wall)
    - replace windows/external doors - if your doing this get details prepared in advance, expect to pay for lasting quality
    - sand wood floors and lacquer- last
    - ventilation? If you get as far as good insulation and then good air-tightness consider demand control extract ventilation otherwise holes in the wall are best.
    - bathroom suite install - discuss with plumber
    - kitchen install - near the end , remember to allow for measuring and lead in time to fit
    - paint/decorate- plan early, allow a good chunk of cash for tiling , flooring etc

Your list screams of a novice, my advice is get help with the fabric upgrade ( a local arch/ arch tech could help with performance spec and details)
    then handle the cosmetic stuff yourself
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I'm nowhere near an expert but I think it would make sense to do plumbing and ventilation before electrics. Its easier to route wires around pipes than pipes around electrics.

Advertisement