Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First surfboard ..need advice!!

Options
  • 14-04-2012 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

So I've been surfing for about 6months now ,borrowing friend's boards along the way.Im about to buy my first board but it's between a Lost 6'10" and a Rocky Point 7'4" minimal.Ive been using a bic 7'3" for the most part and can pop up and turn easily enough.Im about 67kg and 5'11" tall..both boards are buoyant but I don't know if I'm ready for the shortboard yet....would really appreciate help:)

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

One thread is enough I think :)

I would advise getting the mini-mal in my opinion. Your wave count will be higher so you'll progress quicker. The learning curve will be a lot harder on the short board as it won't be as bouyant and harder to paddle. Once you're surfing the mini-mal comfortably you could move down to something smaller then, its no harm to have something like a mini-mal as back up for smaller days anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Himynameistim

Mickeroo wrote: »
    One thread is enough I think :)

I would advise getting the mini-mal in my opinion. Your wave count will be higher so you'll progress quicker. The learning curve will be a lot harder on the short board as it won't be as bouyant and harder to paddle. Once you're surfing the mini-mal comfortably you could move down to something smaller then, its no harm to have something like a mini-mal as back up for smaller days anyway.

Thanks man..the short board has a lot of volume too but I think your right in not rushing ahead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimgsi

if it helps you any, i rented a board for about 5months, a 7'6 nsp, then when buying my own board i was faced with the same decision as you, i opted for a 7'0 short board and love it, itl make it a lot easier for me to drop to a 6'6 in due time. Add that and the fact that i love lost boards to your decision and it would be easy for me. although most people will advise you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Himynameistim

slimgsi wrote: »
    if it helps you any, i rented a board for about 5months, a 7'6 nsp, then when buying my own board i was faced with the same decision as you, i opted for a 7'0 short board and love it, itl make it a lot easier for me to drop to a 6'6 in due time. Add that and the fact that i love lost boards to your decision and it would be easy for me. although most people will advise you otherwise.

it was tempting alright to get the short board but i got the minimal and its way better for my level..thanks though:)

Advertisement