Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information about Dublin - Rental

Options
  • 14-04-2012 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there guys!

I'm new to Dublin, and looking for an apartment with a few friends. We are, of course, looking for somewhere affordable for everyone, for sharing. Our group is composed of a couple, 3 girls, and myself (male). 2 of the girls share a room already, hence what we're looking into is more akin to 4 bedrooms. We're looking at affordable options (we wanted to spend 250, 275 euros each, monthly), and some of those are located into places like Summerhill. But we've heard some of these places are a bit risky to live in.

If anybody could be so kind as to enlighten us in these matters, I'd be grateful. I've looked around the forum and found and old discussion about these neighborhoods, but it seems it went awry after a while, and it was a bit old (as far as I remember, it was closed back in 2008 for that exact reason), but found nothing else about the matter.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Well Summerhill is close to the city centre but you could be waiting a while for the 123 is you wanted to get the bus. The area itself, well lets just say its not one of the finest on the northside. Seems ok during the day time though.

I remember the last time i was looking for accommodation there were a few places in Marino and Fairview that were in that price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It is fine during the day. I walk thru it a lot & I have never had any problems. I do keep my wits about me as the area does not have the best of reputations. As it is an inner city, working class neighbourhood you won't find many 4 bedroom houses there. Most of the housing is Corporation flats or older terraced red brick houses. Few of them will be 4 bedroom. The ones that are have probably been converted into flats long ago.

Six people all paying 250/275 gives you plenty of money to play around with. You should be able to find what you want in nearby Fairview/Clontarf to the east or Glasnevin/Drumcondra to the west. They are much nicer areas, and will have a bigger supply of larger houses to rent, while still being close enough to town. Summerhill has lots of pubs which will be packed to the gills on match days at Croke Park which is just up the road. It doesn't have all that much in the way of shops, restaurants, supermarkets etc etc. You'll have to head towards town or Drumcondra or Fairview/Clontarf for those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Killdozer

Thanks!

Those places seem good, it's not that far from the city. And what about facilities? I mean, supermarkets, butcher shops, et cetera: are those places well supplied?

Thanks for the info guys, you've been very helpful already!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Killdozer wrote: »
    Those places seem good, it's not that far from the city. And what about facilities? I mean, supermarkets, butcher shops, et cetera: are those places well supplied?

Yes.

Given your generous budget, I'd go for Fairview/Clontarf. You have Fairview Park and St Anne's parks near by. You are also on the coast, so you have a lovely sea view and paths to walk/run on. Dollymount Strand is nearby too if you feel like a run on the beach. However, you will need a car or bike to access the beach. The DART line is nearby too in case any of you need to access the northern or southern coastal suburbs.

Advertisement