Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All set for the French Orals?

• 14-04-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

That is if you haven't done them already, obviously. I think I'm OK, as long as the examiner is nice and not all: "TELL ME ABOUT POLLUTION :D"

Our French teacher said it's essentially to show that you know your verbs/tenses, but I'm learning off 'journée typique' and 'les regléments' just incase because I won't even try and do them in my own words for fear of disaster. :O

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

That is if you haven't done them already, obviously. I think I'm OK, as long as the examiner is nice and not all: "TELL ME ABOUT POLLUTION :D"

Our French teacher said it's essentially to show that you know your verbs/tenses, but I'm learning off 'journée typique' and 'les regléments' just incase because I won't even try and do them in my own words for fear of disaster. :O
    I hope the examiner asks me about pollution! :P.. If she asks me about my emission preferée, I have a massive spiel about Grey's Anatomy to spew out of me! Lovely! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I'll be trying to avoid most of those Abstract topics... I've a good lot learned about "Le Big Bang Theorie"..... I'm just hoping that he likes my jokes and lets me run with my reams of material on "Ma famille"!

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I'll be trying to avoid most of those Abstract topics... I've a good lot learned about "Le Big Bang Theorie"..... I'm just hoping that he likes my jokes and lets me run with my reams of material on "Ma famille"!
    I'm gonna drag in Alcohol, Drugs, Pollution, Smoking and possibly Tourism if I can, i've bothered learning the stuff i'm not leaving that room without showing him/her everything I know! :P Looking forward to it actually! I'm the 4th person in, 1st Higher Level and the first lad so hopefully it'll be a Male examiner who might give me a break! :P

Really? I'm either last on monday or first tuesday! I'm in between two pass students so it might make me look a bit better than I am! Everything I have leads to " Quest-ce-que vous feriez di vous gagneriez la Loto"... EVERYTHING LEADS TO IT.... My family, pastimes, school, part-time job, college! Everything ends like... Eh bien monsieur... tous serait plus facile pour moi si j'aurais les foins dans ses bottes (If I would be rich)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I'm looking forward to it aswell! :D I've learnt off a good few idioms, subjunctive/plus-que-parfait sentences and I've all my "leads" done out so I'll be going in confident! Although I'm after a fella who's perfectly fluent in French :-/

• Advertisement

Really? I'm either last on monday or first tuesday! I'm in between two pass students so it might make me look a bit better than I am! Everything I have leads to " Quest-ce-que vous feriez di vous gagneriez la Loto"... EVERYTHING LEADS TO IT.... My family, pastimes, school, part-time job, college! Everything ends like... Eh bien monsieur... tous serait plus facile pour moi si j'aurais les foins dans ses bottes (If I would be rich)
    Oui madame, j'ai une soeur.. si je gagnais la lotterie nationale je acheterais une voiture, et je ferais une tour du monde et donnerais l'argent a concern et d'autres organisations.. Elle s'appelle Mia..

Oui madame, j'ai une soeur.. si je gagnais la lotterie nationale je acheterais une voiture, et je ferais une tour du monde et donnerais l'argent a concern et d'autres organisations.. Elle s'appelle Mia..

Oui. monsieur! J'espère que j'aille à Galway pour faire les maths monsieur. il y a un tas de l'argent qui j'aurai. ce sera comme je gagnerai la loto! si je la gagnerais je vous donnerais l'entier monsieur! mais ça dépendrait sur mes notes... peut-être un A1? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

My pronounciation is getting me down and i dont know how to make it any better before the orals and im on Thursday.

Does anyone have any good words that would make the conversation better? Like do ya know in irish how you have 'gan dabht ar bith' and so on.. I know 'a vrai dire' and 'Peut-etre' any other helpful ones?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

'Bien sur' is always a good one. (Means of course.) ;) Then there's 'alors' and 'eh bien' which just mean well or so. :)

siobhan93 wrote: »
    My pronounciation is getting me down and i dont know how to make it any better before the orals and im on Thursday.

Does anyone have any good words that would make the conversation better? Like do ya know in irish how you have 'gan dabht ar bith' and so on.. I know 'a vrai dire' and 'Peut-etre' any other helpful ones?:)

À mon avis
    selon moi
    c'est-à-dire
    il me semble
    je pense
    je crois

la prononciation? Je la préfère! j'adore mon accent français et j'espére que j'obtienne toutes les notes pour la prononciation-ci <<<shnakey subjunctive ;)

• Advertisement

À mon avis
    selon moi
    c'est-à-dire
    il me semble
    je pense
    je crois

la prononciation? Je la préfère! j'adore mon accent français et j'espére que j'obtienne toutes les notes pour la prononciation-ci <<<shnakey subjunctive ;)

Oh perf.. thank you!
    Hahaha shly.. still need to put subjunctive somewhere in my notes :S

Togepi wrote: »
    'Bien sur' is always a good one. (Means of course.) ;) Then there's 'alors' and 'eh bien' which just mean well or so. :)

Thanks a mill! No doubt il be use them about 50 times haha

siobhan93 wrote: »
    À mon avis
    selon moi
    c'est-à-dire
    il me semble
    je pense
    je crois

Oh perf.. thank you!
    Hahaha shly.. still need to put subjunctive somewhere in my notes :S

Also, don't forget your ZUUUUUTTT ALORRSSS!

Or Berk!

or Bof!

Or Merde!

^^ maybe don't say the last one... unless you're in France.

Or Berk!

or Bof!

Or Merde!

What do the first three mean? :o

Or Berk!

or Bof!

Or Merde!

Z alors = aww damn/shucks
    Berk = yuck!
    Bof = Pffft!

^^ hard to describe them but thats it pretty much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Well as far as I know (autant que je sache :P):

---Zut alors means something like "Ah feck it sure"!
    ---Bof means "meh"

Sorry I don't know the other 2 either!

EDIT: Whoops I didn't realise ChemHickey already replied. :o Zut alors!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hotfuzz2

Always use alors if you're trying to remember something, instead of being like "emmm" :P
    And always direct the conversation.
    And for your document (if you're doing one that is) prepare the most complicated questions on them and have them prepared just incase! Obviously know all the general questions you may be asked on it.
    And use "joining" phrases like franchement, pour vrai dire, vraiment, a la fois, etc.
    Know basics like souvent, de temps en temps, un peu, en general, surtout, etc.
    And if they ask you about last/next/every weekend and you're not sure which one they're asking, say something like "pardon, le week-end dernier/prochain?" That won't deduct from your marks at all, it's just natural conversation! :D
    And for things like politics, if you haven't got them prepared just say "honnetement la politique ne m'interesse pas beaucoup."
    And this came from my teacher whos a long time oral examiner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hotfuzz2

Does anyone know when the documents asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

À mon avis
    selon moi
    c'est-à-dire
    il me semble
    je pense
    je crois

strangely enough, you'd think you need the subjunctive after esperer que but you don't use it with esperer. french is strange

À mon avis
    selon moi
    c'est-à-dire
    il me semble
    je pense
    je crois

strangely enough, you'd think you need the subjunctive after esperer que but you don't use it with esperer. french is strange

In most cases it doesn't take subjunctive but my French teacher has this Huge thick encyclopedia of French grammar and she checked to make sure about that certain verb and there are times where it can be used.

• Advertisement

Really? ok will do! thank you for your advice! Appreciate it! =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Claregirl5

Bonsoir tout le monde!

2 points I would like to make:

1) j'espère que is never followed by the subjonctive:
    j'espère que j'obtiendrai les points nécessaires pour aller à l'université (future tense)
    j'espère que tu as fini tous tes devoirs (passé composé)

2) Candidates are asked if they have a document at the beginning of the oral exam. Make sure you bring it in the exam room, should you have one. However you will first be asked personal questions, to put you in the mood!!

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

never in all my years speaking have i used it or heard it used as subjunctive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

hotfuzz2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the documents asked?

It normally comes up near the end. But it might come up in a topic then they might do the document then and then go back to questions after.

I really hope this oral goes well at least better then last year. I've put more effort in this time.

Guys is it 'j'écoute de la musique' or 'j'écoute la musique'? :confused:

la, je crois. Écouter has the à in it already i think.

What topics is everyone going to try and sway the conversation to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

My oral book says de la.. :confused:

Also, this subjunctive and plus-que parfait...I can honestly say my class has never ever heard of either of these tenses, are they really necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

It's definitely "de la" I saw it on a website before, I'll try and find it now

Can't find the site, came accross it a while back when I was writing up les loisirs for the oral, double checked Bien Dit there and it's jouer de la musique

Advertisement