Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Sc in Security and Forensic Computing DCU

Options
  • 14-04-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm planning on doing the M.Sc in Security and Forensic Computing masters in September. I would like to get some info on the course, particularly how technical the modules are?

I will be finished my undergrad in May, and I have studied some technical modules as part of my degree such as java, UNIX and systems software but I don't want to feel out of my dept in this course if it's too technical.

Are the modules thought from an introductory level or is it necessary to have done Computer Science or a similarly techy undergrad to succeed at this masters?

If there is someone who has done this masters before or is currently doing it and can answer some of my questions, that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

What was your undergrad in?

I'm hoping to do it this September too but I'm coming from IT.

Going by the DCU blurb I can only imagine it could be quite technical.
    DCU wrote:
    Candidates must hold, at a minimum, a Second Class Honours degree in Computer Science, Computing, Computer Applications, or a related discipline. Candidates with significant experience in the software development or security sectors, in addition to an Honours primary degree in some other discipline, may also be considered for entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dmac2012

My undergrad is in Business Information Systems in UCC. It is pretty technicial, but have never done any low level programming like will be covered in the course... I think I can handle it though... Here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I think it's mostly script and Java based programming mainly.
    I reckon you should be fine with BIS but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a look at a Java book in any case.

I'll let you know if I get any more info. on the course and hopefully see you in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dmac2012

Cheers, let me know so, and I'll do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rantic66

Hi,

I'm finishing up this course in August (just doing my summer practicum now)...and i can tell ya if you have done some programming/scripting projects already and u feel comfortable with the basics then you should be ok...there is some assembly programming required but thats not too hard once u practice..

Heres a quick preview of how i saw the course this year:

The course is very focused on open source stuff, like linux..many of the modules labs are in a linux environment, and can deal with pretty low level stuff (we had a linux kernel programming project in system sw this year!)..so the more u know about linux the more at home u will feel doing many of the projects...we used java and C for our projects that required programming..

Also, some of the modules have a good bit of maths in them, such as the 2 crypto modules and the biometrics (which was the hardest for me!)...so knowing basics in number theory and probability/statistics will give u a head start...

Overall i would rate the course as pretty demanding and very technical, there was only one module this year that was fluffy (prof & research practice)...the rest of them were pretty detailed. Theres a LOT of project work also!! u need to hit the ground running and the more prep work u do the better id say...

Be prepared to especially work ur ass off in the forensics module!! - we had 8 projects for the CA this year. It's Pretty hands on stuff...very good tho!

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement