Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help re Pony & Cantering!

Options
  • 14-04-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

So pony with us nearly a month now & all going really good, have taken things very slow so my daughter and the pony get to know each other & am not one of these pony club moms who wants them jumping 1m after 2 wks:)

Obviously its very much a learning curve for all of us and this Pony is NOT a riding school pony as in follow the leader so my daughter is learning how to " ride properly" - -

Problem now is getting the pony to canter, she is small & has an extremely choppy stride... on the lead rein today nothing would make her canter for love nor money & my daughter ended up taking a tumble as trot just got faster & faster & faster - so I am going to get her on the lunge line tomoro minus rider but need some tips please.

On another note I dont think I have ever seen an 11.5hh jump so big over a crosspole!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kenndy

marley123 wrote: »
    So pony with us nearly a month now & all going really good, have taken things very slow so my daughter and the pony get to know each other & am not one of these pony club moms who wants them jumping 1m after 2 wks:)

Obviously its very much a learning curve for all of us and this Pony is NOT a riding school pony as in follow the leader so my daughter is learning how to " ride properly" - -

Problem now is getting the pony to canter, she is small & has an extremely choppy stride... on the lead rein today nothing would make her canter for love nor money & my daughter ended up taking a tumble as trot just got faster & faster & faster - so I am going to get her on the lunge line tomoro minus rider but need some tips please.

On another note I dont think I have ever seen an 11.5hh jump so big over a crosspole!!

Hi there!

You very much sound like you know what you're doing so I hope what Im going to suggest isn't condescending to your previous knowledge. I hope it helps :-D

I have a few possible suggestions about getting her into canter but Ill begin with when a rider is on the pony's back.
    First of all, have you had an experienced rider on the pony to put her through her strides to see if shes responsive to a rider andnot just being a tad lazy with your daughter?
    Also you mention her trot just got faster and faster, and that shes not like a riding school pony...which makes me think the pony's possibly not breaking into canter because shes waiting for the "canter" leg aids.. this can be determined with an experienced rider on her back.

As for on the lunge line, its all a matter of, (for the want of a better word) "drilling" based on a set of cues that translate also when a rider is on their back.. repeating the same cues over until the pony catches on..
    so what I would suggest is that when you have her on the lunge line break her into a steady trot,, keep it consistent in pace.. and when you'd like her to transition into canter utliize your whip (as an aid only and only when its time to transition into the next gait), you dont have to hit the pony just a slight wave and accompany that with a "click" of your tongue, if the pony just trots faster, slow them back down again, regain a consistent pace and begin the same cues for canter once satisfied with the trot pace, again maybe a low flick of the whip to the ground for effect and gently encourage them with your voice,, "moooove on" or " annnnd canter" etc

you can also make adjustments with your lunge line, some people raise the line when transitioning up a gait, but thIs up to the discretion of the individual and most importantly what translates for the horse.

:-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I think I'm stating the obvious here but to echo kenndy, are you sure your daughter is applying to correct aids in asking for a canter?

I would also be concerned that the pony is unbalanced in his or her gait. Is the response the same on both legs? Does she have an obvious bias?

Before even resorting to the lunge, I would have someone else ride this pony to demonstrate the (possibility that) this pony is capable of responding to a request for canter.

I remember when I was a kid and refusing to accept my pony was capable of performing a shoulder-in, whereupon the instructor bellowed at me to get off, mounted my pony, and duly performed a shoulder-in:pac:

In any event, I think some lunging as you have planned should be a useful resource in encouraging your daughter's pony to develop his or her gaits.

Advertisement