Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Oral!

• 14-04-2012 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Since there's so much talk of French, thought I'd set up a thread for the German oral :)

What does everyone have prepared? Just want to know if I'm missing anything important. In my oral copy I have the following topics (with lots of questions in each, obviously)

• Myself and my family
    • My best friend
    • Family relationships
    • Pocket money
    • Part time job
    • School
    • Daily routine
    • Holidays
    • The future
    • Hobbies
    • Where I live/my house
    Think that's everything, might be forgetting a few things. Then obviously I have questions prepared on the themes from the pictures:

• Der Sommerjob - Part time jobs, working abroad, have you ever been to Germany
    • Vorsicht beim Rauchen - Part time jobs again, living in the city/living in the country, smoking
    • Schuleraustausch - Why people go on exchanges, learning foreign languages, have you ever been on an exchange
    • Ruhestorung - What would you have done in the situation, old people vs young people, problems of old people, old people in my area
    • Zu zweits geht's besser - Homework, studying, working alone vs working together
    Anyone else want to add anything? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Do you have anything prepared on "knowledge of Germany", the differences between Germany and Ireland, and the different school systems? I think I saw that somewhere, that they might come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah, I've got that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

They ask things on your best friend? Um I'm really bad at German but I hope I can get full marks if I learn off all the answers and smile at the examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Looks like you have everything covered, assuming each heading is sufficiently expanded..

Although I've never heard of them asking about a best friend..(unless you bring it up)

When is everybody's? Mine's Wednesday, can't wait to get it over with I'm sick of repeating this crap - Am Liebsten wäre ich zwei Wochen lang im Bett geblieben :)

Yeah I'm not sure if they ask about a best friend really, I know my teacher likes to ask it. It'd be easy enough to make up on the spot though if you really had to I suppose!

Mine's not til the second week, they're being done on Monday and Tuesday so I'll probably be on the Monday.

• Advertisement

They like to ask the 'Waren Sie schon in Deutschland?" in the General Questions also so don't let that put you off.

Also they might ask you if you'd like to settle down (niederlassen) in a different country/ study in Germany for a year so have something on that

Yeah all I stuff I have in relation to the picture sequences will be learned anyway just in case they decide to throw it into the general conversation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Looks like you have everything covered, assuming each heading is sufficiently expanded..

Although I've never heard of them asking about a best friend..(unless you bring it up)

When is everybody's? Mine's Wednesday, can't wait to get it over with I'm sick of repeating this crap - Am Liebsten wäre ich zwei Wochen lang im Bett geblieben :)

There's something wrong with that German sentence. "Am Liebsten würde ich zwei Wochen im Bett verbringen" would be much simpler. :P

I'm not really preparing for the German oral, I don't want to learn things off - besides, I want to get Irish out of the way first. I'll definitely go over the roleplays and picture stories before it.

Well there's nothing wrong with that sentence according to my teacher :L And simple =/= good for the oral imo! :P

Well there's nothing wrong with that sentence according to my teacher :L And simple =/= good for the oral imo! :P

"ich wäre geblieben" - I would be stayed

Right? Or is this some crazy grammatical thing that's going over my head? :L

• Advertisement

I think its more 'would've remained in bed'.. Googling 'ich wäre geblieben' brings up the phrase used in German news articles so hopefully it's right haha

OH now I get it, apparently I forgot that the past existed :L
    Thanks for clearing that up!

There's even a song:

TERRIBLE song, but song nonetheless :L

Ah, German music makes me so happy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggi-GsL9bx4

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nb93

I have my German oral tommorow at 8:45 :/ any last minute advice for me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

I am so screwed for the oral, I haven't gone over half of those topics, and I only have until Thursday :-( und Ich weiss nicht die Bildergeshicten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

how to say 1994 in german ? is it neunzehnhundert vierundneunzig ?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

angela1711 wrote: »
    how to say 1994 in german ? is it neunzehnhundert vierundneunzig ?

das ist richtig

meinen Sie, ich sollte mich an das irische Konsulat in Bremen wenden?

Does the 'meinen Sie' make it 'sollte ich mich...' ?

I'm not sure, but I just say "Soll ich mich an das irische Konsulat in Bremen wenden", don't think you need the meinen sie?

No, but I'm pretty sure you should be saying "ich soll" and not "ich sollte" - I think "ich sollte" is imperfekt. I'd put a dass in there too if I were using that sentence, so I'd say

"Meinen Sie, dass ich mich an das irische Konsulat in Bremen wenden soll?"

but the way that SeanMadd phrased it is much simpler and it's what I'd say too.

• Advertisement

Sound! My German is shocking :L

Does anyone want to give me their notes for the topics on the picture stories? Just a vague outline?! I can't imagine what they'd ask on the theme for 'jugend' so I don't know how to prepare. Bitte! ;)

*Hmm just checked my role play and the german part says the consulate in berlin, while the english part says Hanover.. Which is it?!? :pac:

Like they'll ask: In your opinion are youths often careless?; Relationship between old and young people; should old and young live in the same apartment block? Who is right(Ruhestörung)

This is mine for Ruhestorung (from memory so don't count on it being mistake free :P)
    Auswirkungen ihres Handelns auf andere Menschen sind ihnen nicht bewusst.
    Sie sind oft mit sich selbst beschäftigt.
    Meiner Ansicht nach, mussen junge Leute lernen, dass andere Menschen Bedurfnisse und Rechte haben.
    Aber nicht alle junge Leute sind so egoistisch. Es gibt auch viele, die Rucksicht nehmen.
    Beim schoenen Wetter wollen alle die frische Luft geniessen.
    Junge Leute sollten, ohne Zweifel, ein Recht auf Spass haben, denn das Leben ist kurz genug.
    Aber ich bin der Meinung, dass die junge Leute in dieser Geschichte gedankenlos gehandelt haben.

(don't know how to do umlauts so eh :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey guys, I don't do German, I do French but i'm curious- do ye have to learn any topical issues for your Oral? Like Emigration/Alcohol/Global Warming/Economic Crisis stuff?

Nope, not really! The pictures and roleplays take up such a large chunk of the oral that they only get to spend about 5ish minutes (could be more than that, can't remember the exact figure) on your general conversation, so it's just kept pretty basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 me_at

Hey,
    does anybody know if I should learn anything about the environment and the recession? Does questions that difficult come up?
    Also, does anybody know how many marks go for the questions at the end of the picture stories? It it a big chunk?

Help appreciated :/ Thanks :)

me_at wrote: »
    Hey,
    does anybody know if I should learn anything about the environment and the recession? Does questions that difficult come up?
    Also, does anybody know how many marks go for the questions at the end of the picture stories? It it a big chunk?

God no! Just don't bring anything like that up and you'll be fine.

Picture Seq is : 10 for Storytelling, 10 for Explanation/Future Projection, 10 for Opinion of Issue/Theme... This is out of 100%

me_at wrote: »
    Hey,

Someone in my class asked if they ever ask that kind of stuff and my teacher just said it won't get asked. She's been teaching German for years so I trust her! :p

The picture sequences are divided up as follows:
    10 marks for narrating the picture
    10 marks for the clarification (what happens next and the questions based on the picture)
    10 marks for the questions on the themes

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 me_at

leaveiton wrote: »
    Someone in my class asked if they ever ask that kind of stuff and my teacher just said it won't get asked. She's been teaching German for years so I trust her! :p

The picture sequences are divided up as follows:
    10 marks for narrating the picture
    10 marks for the clarification (what happens next and the questions based on the picture)
    10 marks for the questions on the themes

Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much :)
    Phew! I hope we don't get a mean examiner though :(
    Ahh rats! Haven't touched the questions and future projection yet, thought it wasn't worth much.
    Vielen Dank ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

SeanMadd wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I just say "Soll ich mich an das irische Konsulat in Bremen wenden", don't think you need the meinen sie?

I just say "Ist es notig das Irische Konsulat in Berlin anrufen?"

Advertisement