Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Oral!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I have "Soll ich mich aus irisches Konsulat in Berlin wenden?" Is that also correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Ich habe- Soll ich mich an das irische Konsulat in Berlin wenden,oder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xSpacey

If one of you guys would be kind enough to do out sentences for each picture sequence, that would be really awesome.... These past 2 weeks have not been spent well... =/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

We just say "Soll ich das irisches Konsulat in Berlin anrufen?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

leaveiton wrote: »
    I have "Soll ich mich aus irisches Konsulat in Berlin wenden?" Is that also correct?

I think "aus" is incorrect, it should be "an das". "aus" means, like, out of, or from.

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »
    I think "aus" is incorrect, it should be "an das". "aus" means, like, out of, or from.

Yeah I could have sworn I had "an das" written down but I checked and that's not it :P Is irisches Konsulat correct? I'm seeing a lot of people saying "irische", and I can't remember if it's just some grammatical thing or if one is right and the other isn't :pac:

leaveiton wrote: »
    Yeah I could have sworn I had "an das" written down but I checked and that's not it :P Is irisches Konsulat correct? I'm seeing a lot of people saying "irische", and I can't remember if it's just some grammatical thing or if one is right and the other isn't :pac:

I think you can shorten it to "ans" but I'm not sure. it's "irische" because it's accusative and definite article, it would be "irisches" if it were "an ein irisches Konsulat". I just checked it up, I'm so bad at adjectival endings :L

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I think it would only be irisches if it were 'ein irisches Frustuck' for example.. It's akkusativ so it takes an -e... AFAIK! :P

edit : damn you ^^ :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Truebattle

You can use "Sollte ich mich and das Irische Konsulat in Berlin wenden" My teacher gave us notes on the roleplay.

finality wrote: »
    I think you can shorten it to "ans" but I'm not sure. it's "irische" because it's accusative and definite article, it would be "irisches" if it were "an ein irisches Konsulat". I just checked it up, I'm so bad at adjectival endings :L

Okay, thanks :P We haven't really focused on adjectival endings yet so I was confused!

• Advertisement

Truebattle wrote: »
    You can use "Sollte ich mich and das Irische Konsulat in Berlin wenden" My teacher gave us notes on the roleplay.

You're right, I actually have "sollte" written in my notes. :pac: Does anyone understand why it means "should I" instead of "should I have"? It's really annoying me now.

It could be to do with the fact that sollen and wollen don't take an umlaut in the subjunctive(or conditional I never remember) case.. I dunno, I feel like prefacing every post in this thread with: I could and probably am completely wrong so don't take my word for it.

It could be to do with the fact that sollen and wollen don't take an umlaut in the subjunctive(or conditional I never remember) case.. I dunno, I feel like prefacing every post in this thread with: I could and probably am completely wrong so don't take my word for it.

Noooo, now I get it - konjunktiv 2 is used when being polite in some instances, so "sollte ich" is just sort of a polite thing, it's like in English, "could you" is more polite than "can you" and it's the same as the past tense form of the verb

This site is great - http://german.about.com/od/grammar/a/konjunktivII.htm

so yeah you're right about it being subjunctive, god damn subjunctive :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Jeeeesus ye're going very deep into this whole 'Shall I call the Irish consulate' thing ;) Haha! Anyone's oral finished? I've mine tomorrow, booooyah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Yeah, I finished mine today ! it is such a relief ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

angela1711 wrote: »
    Yeah, I finished mine today ! it is such a relief ! :D

Awh lucky ;) Did they ask anything out of the ordinary?

Mine is next Tuesday but I'm at 9.30 in the morning :(:(

Anyone with feedback? Have they been directed to ask any out of the ordinary questions etc?

Oh and quick question.. Is it "über dem Osterfest erklärt" I'm assuming about is dativ...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wiirdo

How many roleplays and picture sequences should I do?

• Advertisement

No she didn't ask me anything weird. The question's were straight foreword.
    I was asked about my family, where I live, were I ever in Germany, my hobbies etc.
    And the examiner was brilliant ! She was so nice and helpful. Oh and when you are in there the time will fly :P

Wiirdo wrote: »
    How many roleplays and picture sequences should I do?

I presume all of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nb93

I had my oral yesterday. It went ok, but I felt it could have gone a lot better. Was nervous and I think I ruined my chances of a good mark. If anyone wants a good piece of advice: Calm down and don't be nervous. I regret not doing it. But I have to forget it. Have my Irish next Monday and now all I have in my head is German.. typical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Domy_dom

Was just wondering could someone give me a run through of the basic structure of the HL oral, it would be much appreciated. I have it next week and have been doing german myself outside of school but have no idea what the deal is with the role plays and pictures. I have been sent the ones marked 2013 - 2016 ( the first roleplay is unfall am arbeitsplatz), are these the right ones? Also do I have to memorise the whole role plays or does the examiner lead the conversation or do I get to bring them in with me? And are the pictures basically the same as the sraith pictiurs in irish?

Domy_dom wrote: »
    Was just wondering could someone give me a run through of the basic structure of the HL oral, it would be much appreciated. I have it next week and have been doing german myself outside of school but have no idea what the deal is with the role plays and pictures. I have been sent the ones marked 2013 - 2016 ( the first roleplay is unfall am arbeitsplatz), are these the right ones? Also do I have to memorise the whole role plays or does the examiner lead the conversation or do I get to bring them in with me? And are the pictures basically the same as the sraith pictiurs in irish?

Nooooo, they're not the right ones!!! The right ones are at the bottom of the page here (the ones that say 2009 - 2012!) http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ox

When you go into the oral, you start with the general conversation, then it's the pictures and roleplays (forget which comes first). For the roleplays, the examiner will lead the conversation but you must mention all the tasks on the card. You can't bring it in with you but you will be given a card when you go in with the English and German printed on it. The picture stories are fairly similar to the sraith pictiurs, yeah.

Oh and quick question.. Is it "über dem Osterfest erklärt" I'm assuming about is dativ...

What's the full sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Can anyone give me tips for how to get German back into my head? Did my Irish yesterday and I can't forget it!

Can anyone give me tips for how to get German back into my head? Did my Irish yesterday and I can't forget it!

Do a reading comprehension and write a letter or something. Then practise the picture stories and roleplays. That's what I'm doing anyway, I've got Irish in my head too.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

I have mine next week, not looking forward to it to say the least...If i get 'vorsicht beim rauchen' or 'Austausch' i'll be so happy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 shenerd

Any good sentences on what to say if you get stuck?

Things like... 'can you repeat the question' or 'I don't understand' (etc)

I know it's pretty basic stuff I just want to be sure I'm saying it right.

Advertisement