Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Oral!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

shenerd wrote: »
    Any good sentences on what to say if you get stuck?

Things like... 'can you repeat the question' or 'I don't understand' (etc)

I know it's pretty basic stuff I just want to be sure I'm saying it right.

Könnten Sie bitte die Frage wiederholen?
    Es tut mir leid, aber ich verstehe nicht.
    Wie bitte? (like "pardon/what did you say?")

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shenerd

finality wrote: »
    Könnten Sie bitte die Frage wiederholen?
    Es tut mir leid, aber ich verstehe nicht.
    Wie bitte? (like "pardon/what did you say?")

Vielen Dank! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

shenerd wrote: »
    Any good sentences on what to say if you get stuck?

Things like... 'can you repeat the question' or 'I don't understand' (etc)

I know it's pretty basic stuff I just want to be sure I'm saying it right.

If you can't think of a word:
    Das Wort fallt mir nicht ein

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tragic and blonde

Okay, I only do German once a week, the only one left in the class for the past two years haha! So obviously it's not the easiest for me, but I think I can get a good B / possible A.

My problem is with the oral...I've learned off the role plays / picture stories, prepared a few sentences on questions that come come up the stories, so I think that those should be okay. They're worth 60 marks, yes?

But with the conversation...I have answers for the following things, do you think that should be enough to cover me? Will a few sentences for each do?

Me - my age, my family, my last birthday, my next birthday (it's soon, see)

My area - what I like, what I don't like, good for tourists?, good for the young'uns?, do I want to live here in the future?

My school - the facilities, the uniform, the subjects I do, the rules, my favourite subject, my least favourite subject, german, why languages are important, differences between german and irish schools

Work - mechanical engineering course, why I'm interested in it, happiness more important than money, will I move out of the house, do I have a part time job?, how do I spend the money?

Free time - my hobbies, do I do sport? (pah!), favourite programme/music/book, the cinema, my friends, why hobbys are important, last weekend, next weekend, my friends, last summer, this summer

Festivals - celebrations in Ireland, christmas, parties

Travelling - do you like travelling?, would you like to travel?, where I go on holiday, my school trip, never been to germany but want to

PLUS I have a piece on a german film - the story, what I thought of it, and the director.

Now, will a few lines on each of the above be enough? Or am I going to be totally stuck here? D:

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Had mine today. Was grand enough until we got to the opinion on the theme question. I was delighted to get Vorsicht Beim Rauchen, as I had a lot prepared on the questions after that. Then she asked me the following:

"Why, in your opinion, are there not as many farms in Ireland nowadays?"

Had to think on my feet, said that people have no interest in farming, they'd rather live in the city, working on a farm is hard... Was not expecting anything like that at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Does anyone know the German for Driver's Licence? or Drivng Test? =) Thanks

Does anyone know the German for Driver's Licence? or Drivng Test? =) Thanks

Der Führerschein - driving license
    Die Fahrprüfung - driving test

For future use:
    http://pda.leo.org/?redirect=1&lp=ende

Leo is the best resource for German. Ich liebe Leo. Translates expressions as well as words.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Cheers I had learned the wrong vocab off and only just realised =P

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tragic and blonde

Okay, I only do German once a week, the only one left in the class for the past two years haha! So obviously it's not the easiest for me, but I think I can get a good B / possible A.

My problem is with the oral...I've learned off the role plays / picture stories, prepared a few sentences on questions that come come up the stories, so I think that those should be okay. They're worth 60 marks, yes?

But with the conversation...I have answers for the following things, do you think that should be enough to cover me? Will a few sentences for each do?

Me - my age, my family, my last birthday, my next birthday (it's soon, see)

My area - what I like, what I don't like, good for tourists?, good for the young'uns?, do I want to live here in the future?

My school - the facilities, the uniform, the subjects I do, the rules, my favourite subject, my least favourite subject, german, why languages are important, differences between german and irish schools

Work - mechanical engineering course, why I'm interested in it, happiness more important than money, will I move out of the house, do I have a part time job?, how do I spend the money?

Free time - my hobbies, do I do sport? (pah!), favourite programme/music/book, the cinema, my friends, why hobbys are important, last weekend, next weekend, my friends, last summer, this summer

Festivals - celebrations in Ireland, christmas, parties

Travelling - do you like travelling?, would you like to travel?, where I go on holiday, my school trip, never been to germany but want to

PLUS I have a piece on a german film - the story, what I thought of it, and the director.

Now, will a few lines on each of the above be enough? Or am I going to be totally stuck here? D:

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

tragic and blonde, you might want a few sentences on the difference between schools here and schools in Germany. Starting time, class length, holidays and that sort of thing.

But otherwise you're pretty sorted! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

tragic and blonde, you might want a few sentences on the difference between schools here and schools in Germany. Starting time, class length, holidays and that sort of thing.

But otherwise you're pretty sorted! :)

One handy line to throw in there is how they don't have a uniform!

You can also say the schools in Germany are mixed while girls and boys are mostly separated here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

angela1711 wrote: »
    If you can't think of a word:
    Das Wort fallt mir nicht ein

Wish I had this today.Made an absolute balls of mine.Forgot the word for journey.There was a huge pause until I had to reword my sentence and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

leaveiton wrote: »
    Had mine today. Was grand enough until we got to the opinion on the theme question. I was delighted to get Vorsicht Beim Rauchen, as I had a lot prepared on the questions after that. Then she asked me the following:

"Why, in your opinion, are there not as many farms in Ireland nowadays?"

Had to think on my feet, said that people have no interest in farming, they'd rather live in the city, working on a farm is hard... Was not expecting anything like that at all!

Ouch that's a tough question. I got 'what are the disadvantages of leaving in an apartment block' for Ruhestörung... My teacher had mentioned this question but f course I had neglected to prepare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Hey I've got my German oral tomorrow and I'm fairly unprepared. I'd consider myself ok at freestyling, do you think I could pretty much bluff my way through the role plays/picture storys?

I'm basically going on luck here, for picture stories I know 4 of them well-with the questions and everything-and I haven't even looked at the last one!
    For roleplays I know 3 well, but I'v got a feeling I'll get one of the other two :(.

At this stage I'm basically hoping that the examiner is extremely nice, I pick my picture story and if I get the one I don't know do a 'Oh no *tut* *sad face*' and hope that she pitys me! The Irish examiner even let a few lads pick a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Hayezer wrote: »
    Hey I've got my German oral tomorrow and I'm fairly unprepared. I'd consider myself ok at freestyling, do you think I could pretty much bluff my way through the role plays/picture storys?

Well if you're good at freestyling I'm fairly sure you could bust a hell of a rhyme out for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Well if you're good at freestyling I'm fairly sure you could bust a hell of a rhyme out for the exam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u0qqmuCv2o
    I have this prepared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Hayezer wrote: »

Not sure you quite grasp the concept of 'Freestyling'...

Advertisement