Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car for bad back

Options
  • 03-08-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

Can anyone give me some suggestions for the best car to buy if you have a back problem. My husband needs to buy a new car due to severe pain in his lower back. Unfortunatly, his drive is a long commute each day and we are not in the position to find a job closer.

He is driving a skoda octavia at the moment and its quite low down.

He has heard that cars that you need to step up into are better like an SUV or a jeep?

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'd be more concerned about the seat than stepping in and out.

Volvo are unbeatable for people with back pain from what I know. I have a 2006 Passat which I regularly do long trips in and it's the first car I've ever owned which doesn't give me bad back pain after a long journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Got my mother into a vRS Fabia in 05. ANIMAL of a car but she likes the seat and drives it like a little old lady doing the shopping run would.

Anyway, she was crippled with back pain and the time and LOVED the sport seats in it. Swear by it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 knobblyknees

Both of those sound very good. I'll need to do a bit of googling to see what they are like although appearance doesn't really matter. Well maybe a little;)

He did drive a volvo in the past before the back problem kicked in and loved it. He hasnt looked at the passat or fabia so maybe they are ones to think about too.

Its a tricky one as people online are recommending if he buys a car that he should test drive it for at least an hour before agreeing to buy. I'm not so sure sellers would be keen to give a stranger their car for an hour!

Its a tricky predicament really. I'm suprised there isn't more info out there in the world wide web.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In my experience, Volvo and SAAB have the best seats out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Personally I'd go with a bigger car like a Passat over a Fabia. It's heavier and better sound insulated and won't be as tiring over long journey's. I like the sporty Fabia's but I'd imagine they would wear you down on a long journey. As said I find the comfort in my Passat great and it has cruise control so you can sit back and relax on a long motorway journey if that's the kind of driving he does. It all adds up to save your back on a long journey.

Volvo's and Saabs are an excellent choice also, probably better seats but I just don't have long term experience of them. As said my Passat is the first car not to give me a lot of discomfort after a long journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id insist on a full weekend testdrive to be honest in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

I would tend to get aching shoulders / back when travelling long distance and have noticed over the years some cars are better than others.

Based on my experience I can recommend Honda CRV. Vw passat is also good.

Less good - Picasso, vw touran, KIA sportage.

In my research Saab popped up a few times.

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to cars, but isnt there some issue with Saabs at the moment? Someone mentioned something about a difficulty getting parts for Saab and that scared me off.

He has his eye on a hyundai tucson but hasnt test driven it for comfort yet? any thoughts on this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to cars, but isnt there some issue with Saabs at the moment? Someone mentioned something about a difficulty getting parts for Saab and that scared me off.

He has his eye on a hyundai tucson but hasnt test driven it for comfort yet? any thoughts on this one?

I drive a Saab, they have great seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I've sat in the Tucson lots of times and found the seats very comfortable, especially the front passenger one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anan1 wrote: »
    In my experience, Volvo and SAAB have the best seats out there.

I've had a 9-3 and an S40, both have seats far superior to anything I've driven before or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Octavia vRS tdi for the win.

I have one
    I also suffer constantly with a back issue .
    This car is so good to drive with the seating and firm suspension. ( NOT HARD )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

any high spec BMW,the leather seats are extremely well made,very supportive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

vectra wrote: »
    Octavia vRS tdi for the win.

I have one
    I also suffer constantly with a back issue .
    This car is so good to drive with the seating and firm suspension. ( NOT HARD )

A mate of mine that suffers very badly from his back bought a new Yeti and never suffers back pain whilst driving and he test drove several cars before he purchased..

Thanks. All this information is a great basis for our search.

He has literally had days where half way though his hour and a half commute, he has to pull over and can't get out of the car with the pain. We will have to work on shortening the commute but for the moment your suggestions will be of a great help in our car search.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kinsy4

Can anyone recommend a car with a good seat for a bad back. Recently had surgery on my back to remove a disc. Traded a '04 Megane Scenic in for a '08 Opel Astra. But since doing that my back is still killing me. Don't know if its cause I'm driving lower down or what. Was thinking about trying to trade the '08 Astra again with something with a comfortable seat. Any recommenations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Lol edit thought you said bad "Luck"

Honda Accords have nice seats from what i hear as do the new Corsa's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

No one could know what car will have a seat to suit your specific back problem IMO.

Would some sort of specially designed support for whatever car you have not be a better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Volvo..S60 or S80.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I tore a disc nearly 2 years ago. Couldnt swit in my megane after that. It was like being stabbed. Driving her focus (06) a fair bit and thats very comfortable. Drove to sligo and back in the one day and not a bother on me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have a terribly bad back and so far my CMax seems to fit me best.
    Seats are nice and firm, have a good range of adjustments, lumbar support and because it's a tall car, you sit fairly upright. I commute an hour each way every day and it's good so far. Would recommend, but what suits one guy, doesn't necessarily suit another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I have a terribly bad back and so far my CMax seems to fit me best.
    Seats are nice and firm, have a good range of adjustments, lumbar support and because it's a tall car, you sit fairly upright. Would recommend, but what suits one guy, doesn't necessarily suit another.

I agree, c-max or s-max have higher seats but not too high, it would be worth trying out most cars, you'll know the right one when you sit in it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not an Auris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Sometimes its not just about the seats in the car but also about your actual seating position, how you stretch for the steering wheel feet reach for the peddles.

Now obviously i know nothing about after back surgery!!

I would look into some sort of support device extra lumber support or a hard seat cover, if a seat is too soft it will be hell on a bad back!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

The few times i've been in an Astra, i've found the seats the most uncomfortable of any car I've ever sat in. Especially on a long journey
    Volvos are known for having the best seats of any car so thats what i'd be looking towards.
    I would also look for a car with lumber support if i were you, give extra support to your back

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kinsy4

Cheers guys, actually my wifes car is a '06 corsa and it is more comfortable. Just kind of rushed into buying too early after surgery. Will do like ye said will call to a few garages during the week. Heard good things too about C-Maxs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

I would guess something high up so you can sit onto and not down into the seat, with a "chair" driving position (knees well bent) would be best?...........Ford Transit?
    Seriously though something like a honda HRV or Qashqai maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Damokc wrote: »
    I would guess something high up so you can sit onto and not down into the seat, with a "chair" driving position (knees well bent) would be best?...........Ford Transit?

There are cars with that driving position but they're generally tiny.

Anything short wheel base and high roof has a driving position like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

If there is a car you like it could be worth checking out other trim levels to see how the differences in seats help.

My Golf was causing me back pain on longer journeys, swapped the seats out for a higher spec Golf with lumbar support and its been fantastic.

With that said the ride of the car could have a lot to do with it too.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I can say this without any bias what so ever. Any Saab ;):p

Advertisement