Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing acetrax via UPC

• 14-04-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi,

I am based in Lucan and have the Acetrax service on my TV. The problem is that I am unable to access the Acetrax service from my home network either on the TV or else on my laptop going to http://www.acetrax.com. When I connect on my laptop to my work VPN I can access it fine. There have been a small handful of sites that we have had similar problems with.

When we logged an issue with UPC they sent out a technician who told my wife that it was due to a loose cable which makes no sense at all.

Has anyone else on UPC had this issue?

Thanks,
    Diarmuid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The site works fine for me on UPC in Limerick. To rule out a DNS issue, change your DNS to OpenDNS or Google's DNS servers. Details can be found on their websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

jor el wrote: »
    The site works fine for me on UPC in Limerick. To rule out a DNS issue, change your DNS to OpenDNS or Google's DNS servers. Details can be found on their websites.

I logged into my wireless router (a 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54 Mbps 11g) and I could not see anywhere to change the DNS. I do not have access to the UPC Cable Modem.

I would be a bit wary of OpenDNS. There's some scare stories about them on other pages on boards. Google already knows all it needs to know about me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

d8player wrote: »
    I logged into my wireless router (a 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54 Mbps 11g)

Well there's half your problem, that's not a wireless router, it's a DSL modem. You should not be using a DSL modem on a cable connection, it's not routing anything at all. Even if you find the DNS settings, they won't do anything. What you have there is a very basic wireless switch.

If you're as worried about OpenDNS and Google as you seem to indicate, then your current set up should scare the life out of you. You have a completely open and transparent connection from all devices on your home network to the Internet. No security, no routing, no firewall, no port blocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

d8player wrote: »
    Hi,

I am based in Lucan and have the Acetrax service on my TV. The problem is that I am unable to access the Acetrax service from my home network either on the TV or else on my laptop going to http://www.acetrax.com. When I connect on my laptop to my work VPN I can access it fine. There have been a small handful of sites that we have had similar problems with.

When we logged an issue with UPC they sent out a technician who told my wife that it was due to a loose cable which makes no sense at all.

Has anyone else on UPC had this issue?

Thanks,
    Diarmuid

I have no problem with acetrax here. I use google dns and level3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Acetrax is fine for me here on UPC in Clondalkin,using Google DNS too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement