Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for the lads

• 14-04-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

If a female punched you in the face either once or numerous times do you think it is acceptable to strike back? Does a court side with the female in such a situation?
    Personally I think if she is man enough to throw a slap then she best be ready to take one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Why did your girlfriend hit you? You can tell us. We're all friends here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You don't hit a woman, and if you do, you are a pussy and a cnut. Simples. I feckin hate men who hit women, if you are so tough, go hit a lad - but most wife / girlfriend beaters won't do that, cos they know they will get a smack back.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

*Megatron voice*

Ha Ha The once mighty Mega Titan beaten up by a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

You can have her done for assault if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

no id grapple her and sit on her until she stopped and promised to behaved :pac: .... I could never punch a woman...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Wow OP that's so kinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

She get's one free punch. After that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Really depends on the situation I guess. But yeah I agree, if she can throw one she better be prepared to take one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Damn right I would hit her back if she insisted on hitting me.

Hate that double standards bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah hit me for no reason, you'll be getting one back. Don't attempt to hide behind your gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

If your physical safety is at risk I cant see the problem with defending yourself. Whether its a man or woman that threatens you is irrelevant.

As far as I'm concerned if you are prepared to stand by and let a woman injure you without feeling the need to defend yourself you are an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd run away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Yeah hit me for no reason, you'll be getting one back. Don't attempt to hide behind your gender.

What about hiding behind your tractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Megatitan

Pottler wrote: »
    You don't hit a woman, and if you do, you are a pussy and a cnut. Simples.

So if you are getting a bus home one night and this group of knacker women start smacking you round the head, do you just walk away and say "I will not retaliate". Or do you actually strike back , only if it's once, to show you are not going to be bullied. Surely if it was men you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There was a thread about this a few months back which stretched for quite a few pages to but no , unless it's a case of self defense /life or death , I wouldn't hit a female and more likley just try and get out of the way .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I see no reason for a man to hit a woman.

*awaits the usual Neanderthal replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Megatitan wrote: »
    So if you are getting a bus home one night and this group of knacker women start smacking you round the head, do you just walk away and say "I will not retaliate". Or do you actually strike back , only if it's once, to show you are not going to be bullied. Surely if it was men you would.

I would be the bigger man and walk away. If you are dealing with an ethnic minority group, this will not end at just hitting her a slap back. You have to look at the bigger picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I see no reason for a man to hit a man, or a man to hit a woman, unless it is self defence and needed.

I've been punched by both men and women before and I didn't punch back because it wasn't needed - I wasn't at risk at getting robbed or beaten to a bloody pulp so I was the bigger person and walked away

I actually do boxing and kickboxing and I'm fairly tall and reasonably strong so I'd say I'd be able to take most women. But what's the point? You could end up seriously hurting somebody or yourself if they have a knife on them or something. Just walk away.

If your physical safety is at risk I cant see the problem with defending yourself. Whether its a man or woman that threatens you is irrelevant.

As far as I'm concerned if you are prepared to stand by and let a woman injure you without feeling the need to defend yourself you are an idiot
    Nah, I worked as a bouncer in Central London for a long while and the only lads I saw getting a slap off a woman were tossers who needed slapping. If they hit back, they got a wee smack off me for themselves just to even up things. No problem with lads grabbing a birds wrists to restrain her, but no smackee women - thats reserved for utter wankers. If your that slow that she can hit you you deserve it on the double anyway.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Domo230 wrote: »
    If a female punched me in the face then she would be black and blue on the floor after the beating I would give in retaliation. Gender doesn't matter, you hit me then you are asking for it.
    funnily enough, I have an overwhelming desire to smear your nose off to the left after reading that sh1te^. I presume you are a cowardly type tbh so you're probably just letting off pent up frustration, but why would you want to beat a woman black and blue???? Not very manly auld son.:( Anyway, I've been in more rows than I can even remember, and apart from irate girlfriends of lads who I may have been giving a slap to, no woman has ever tried to hit me - why would a woman want to hit a lad unless he had severly pissed her off?? Not really in womens nature tbh. Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now so all the tough lads can mouth off about how they would "slap the bitch down". Pussies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Keep the pimp hand strong brothers !!

I would be the bigger man and walk away. If you are dealing with an ethnic minority group, this will not end at just hitting her a slap back. You have to look at the bigger picture

I would also walk away and would not raise a finger unless I was 'cornered' so to speak. That's why I gave the bus scenario, you can't get away immediately so you will have to put up for a small while or try and defend.

I agree that it could really spiral out of control with unwanted trouble following you especially if the incident happened in a frequented area. If chances are you would meet these women again and maybe their brothers then probably I wouldn't strike back and instead be happy to take my slap, not retaliate, instead of retaliate and get seven shades kicked outta me by their brothers in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Never been in fight in my life, but if a woman keeps punching me I would have no problem hitting back and I mean hard too..

Sometimes you may just have to defend yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

This may be an "unpopular opinion";)
    There seems to be an increase in women acting more like men and ready to throw a punch. When I was younger I didn't know any girls who would do that and equally any man who hit a woman was shunned.
    IMHO any woman who(obviously who wasn't being assaulted etc)throws a punch at a man and doesn't expect some response nowadays is foolish.
    I did slap a guy once, a complete stranger who I was walking past in a bar. He didn't just pinch my backside but tried to stick his whole hand between my legs from behind:eek:
    Slap well deserved and no retribution on his behalf as he knew he was well wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Self defence and equal amount of force doesn't seem unreasonable to me - why not just because she's a woman? She's not a delicate little flower seeing as she had no qualms about delivering physical punishment herself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

In fairness your statement is quite Neanderthal itself.

You must have the imagination of a goldfish if you can't think of a possible scenario where you should hit a woman.

You must have the imagination of a goldfish if you can't think of a possible scenario where you should hit a woman.

Maybe only little weak men need to imagine scenarios where they should hit a woman.

• Advertisement

I'd be more trying to get a ride off them than a row. Are ye mixing up your genders here? Women for loving, lads for fighting. Thats the usual approach. Why the feck would a woman start hitting ya? You must be an ugly bastid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yes.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    This may be an "unpopular opinion";)
    There seems to be an increase in women acting more like men and ready to throw a punch. When I was younger I didn't know any girls who would do that and equally any man who hit a woman was shunned.
    IMHO any woman who(obviously who wasn't being assaulted etc)throws a punch at a man and doesn't expect some response nowadays is foolish.
    I did slap a guy once, a complete stranger who I was walking past in a bar. He didn't just pinch my backside but tried to stick his whole hand between my legs from behind:eek:
    Slap well deserved and no retribution on his behalf as he knew he was well wrong.

Perhaps this is slightly off topic and needs a new thread but do you think if a drunken woman felt up a lad she'd deserve to be slapped?

If the genders were reversed, the lad would get thrown out for slapping a girl, wheras you see women hitting men in clubs because in retaliation to being felt up.

Don't get me wrong, I sometimes have to resist the urge to slap men when they grope me in clubs. Nothing annoys me more when men feel they have the right to grab your ass or tits and then laugh. I generally just give out to them and push them away.

Violence isn't cool, folks :cool:

Dudess wrote: »
    Self defence and equal amount of force doesn't seem unreasonable to me - why not just because she's a woman? She's not a delicate little flower seeing as she had no qualms about delivering physical punishment herself.

In self-defence though, you should only do what is necessary to ensure your own safety. If this means punching hard in the face because you are in danger and that is the only way to defend yourself, then by all means.

But what if it's a 6ft well built man defending himself from a 5ft2 woman. I think there are other ways of self-defence then using an 'equal amount of force'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Maybe only little weak men need to imagine scenarios where they should hit a woman.

Ok if we're going to use that sort of logic.

Maybe only little weak men allow a baby to be knifed to death by a woman when they could have stopped it by hitting her.

I'd be more trying to get a ride off them than a row. Are ye mixing up your genders here? Women for loving, lads for fighting. Thats the usual approach. Why the feck would a woman start hitting ya? You must be an ugly bastid.

Yes that's it I am an ugly bastid.

I don't know why she would because it was an unprovoked attack. I'm sure it's happened before with men. I would initially avoid it confrontation but after that 3rd or 4th punch from the group of scum I'd have to stand up for myself because the non-physical, verbal attempts are not worth a sh1t with these big fat scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If a female punched you in the face either once or numerous times do you think it is acceptable to strike back? Does a court side with the female in such a situation?
    Personally I think if she is man enough to throw a slap then she best be ready to take one.

If a girl punched me in the face I would just wink at her with my left eye and walk away towards my destination.

no-one is encapsulated in a tiny area that they cannot walk away from. I never hit a woman and never will because I can just walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

If you know what I mean :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I wouldn't be able to do it I'd say, I'd have no problem flaking some male scumbag if they hit me first, but i wouldn't hit them first and I wouldn't hit a woman, just the way I was brought up i suppose, and I can't think of any situation that might occur in my life that would call for me to hit a woman. I'd say if it came down to it, most of ye wouldn't hit a woman either, out of general decency.

Perhaps this is slightly off topic and needs a new thread but do you think if a drunken woman felt up a lad she'd deserve to be slapped?

If the genders were reversed, the lad would get thrown out for slapping a girl, wheras you see women hitting men in clubs because in retaliation to being felt up.

Don't get me wrong, I sometimes have to resist the urge to slap men when they grope me in clubs. Nothing annoys me more when men feel they have the right to grab your ass or tits and then laugh. I generally just give out to them and push them away.

Violence isn't cool, folks :cool:
    In fairness it wasn't just a grope as I have had many of them and like you usually just told the offender to fcuk off. This incident was much more than a grope, he stuck his hand right up between my legs(you get the jist). IMO this was assault and I defended myself.
    I stated in the first part of my post that any woman nowadays who throws a punch at a man would be wise to expect a response from said man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

why would a woman want to hit a lad unless he had severly pissed her off??
    Being pissed off is no reason to hit someone. Women are just as capable of being drunk/drugged/mentally unstable/socially inept as men, and are just as capable of causing harm. Maybe more so given the reluctance of many men to defend themselves, which is why the law is quite clear - you are entitled to use adequate force to protect yourself and your property, but no more than that.

It has nothing to do with decency, equality or chivalry, as one human being to another you have the right not to be physically abused, and the right to protect yourself if attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

username not very related, is it MEGATITAN???

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Phoole

A cheeky dead arm is the perfect retribution to a smack in the face!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

If women want equal rights, they can take equal beatings! Especially if they are the ones to start the trouble

Never have hit a woman in my life but if some bitch came up and punched me in the face I woudn't just stand there and take it like a sucker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

You don't have the right to hit anyone in this world no matter what gender they are or what they've done to you.

If someone hit you in the face call the guards and file an assault charge.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Being pissed off is no reason to hit someone. Women are just as capable of being drunk/drugged/mentally unstable/socially inept as men, and are just as capable of causing harm. Maybe more so given the reluctance of many men to defend themselves, which is why the law is quite clear - you are entitled to use adequate force to protect yourself and your property, but no more than that.

It has nothing to do with decency, equality or chivalry, as one human being to another you have the right not to be physically abused, and the right to protect yourself if attacked.

Unfortunately, not always the case.
    A male friend of mine was assaulted by a woman(stranger). She got in 3 or good right hooks before he hit her back, once.
    He was done for it.

You don't have the right to hit anyone in this world no matter what gender they are or what they've done to you.
    You do in fact literally have the right to defend yourself.

For example, say some "lady" starts hurling abuse, you start moving away, and she throws a pint glass at you, before following and attacking you. In this scenario you could respond with violence and very few would blame you.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

The OP gave you a reason in the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah ffs, cop on.

Jaffa, that's true - a really tall, broad guy would do more damage if he hit a more diminutive woman back, but I think he has the right to grab her arm to stop her doing it again.

jimmurt wrote: »
    The OP gave you a reason in the first post.

He gave a weak man's reason.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, not always the case.
    A male friend of mine was assaulted by a woman(stranger). She got in 3 or good right hooks before he hit her back, once.
    He was done for it.
    I doubt it to be honest, since its completely contrary to both the letter and spirit of the law, although there may have been extenuating circumstances you weren't aware of. Look at the statute books, and tell me if you see "unless its a woman" anywhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement