Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for the lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Every "Be fair" response works under the assumption that men are always the stronger of the two in question. What if a short weedy guy was being smacked around by a bigger chick? Does he just let her break his face? Does he attempt to throw a punch back, despite his diminutive size? Or does he give her a substantial shock to save himself the trip to A&E?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I must be missing out because I've never been punched, by a representative of either gender.
    But going by how often this particular question is asked, there's obviously a serious problem in this country of women punching men and getting away with it.

To answer the question: no-one should punch anyone, and if someone of either gender hit me I'd like to think I'd try to subdue them by grabbing their arms or such, unless I felt I was in danger.
    Punching isn't always the best response to a punch, especially if you think you could do more damage to the person than they could do to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    You do in fact literally have the right to defend yourself.

For example, say some "lady" starts hurling abuse, you start moving away, and she throws a pint glass at you, before following and attacking you. In this scenario you could respond with violence and very few would blame you.

Hitting someone in a like for like situation is not the same as defending yourself. You don't need to punch someone or to use violence to stop an attack. There are lots of very simple and non violent ways to subdue someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I doubt it to be honest, since its completely contrary to both the letter and spirit of the law, although there may have been extenuating circumstances you weren't aware of. Look at the statute books, and tell me if you see "unless its a woman" anywhere.

I wouldn't have written it if it wasn't true(I don't respond just for the sake of just having something to say).
    It most certainly did happen and he got NINE months(served 5)and paid her restitution. She was not injured per say, as a matter of fact he came out the worst of the two and he was the only one with a visible injury(busted lip)when the guards arrested him the next day.
    There were no extenuating circumstances ie he had never been arrested before, was in gainful professional employment etc.
    We really all thought he would get a slap on the wrist. He did not,he got the full extent of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

He gave a weak man's reason.

If you were at risk would you do it? If it was a prolonged attack and you could't retrain the attacker.

I know it might be an unlikely scenario but IF you did find yourself in this situation what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Hitting someone in a like for like situation is not the same as defending yourself. You don't need to punch someone or to use violence to stop an attack. There are lots of very simple and non violent ways to subdue someone.
    There may be simple ways but quite often there aren't any non violent ways. The key phrase here is the appropriate level of force. If a girl hits a guy several times and he responds with a haymaker requiring dental and plastic surgery, that's obviously an inappropriate level of response, far beyond what's needed for self defence. As such he would be punished by the courts. Otherwise she would be in the wrong, especially if he made an effort to extricate himself from the situation first. Likewise if someone was attacked by a seven foot tall guy with a razor sharp broadsword, there aren't many levels of violence that would be ruled out in defence, unless the attacker was literally prone on the ground.
    mishkalucy wrote: »
    I wouldn't have written it if it wasn't true(I don't respond just for the sake of just having something to say).
    It most certainly did happen and he got NINE months(served 5)and paid her restitution. She was not injured per say, as a matter of fact he came out the worst of the two and he was the only one with a visible injury(busted lip)when the guards arrested him the next day.
    Yeah I'm going to go with sceptical here, unless there's more to the case than you're telling us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Yeah I'm going to go with sceptical here, unless there's more to the case than you're telling us.[/QUOTE]

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm afraid as this is the internet I cannot present any further information to support my post.
    Believe me it is true and was awful for all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Never have hit a woman in my life but if some bitch came up and punched me in the face I woudn't just stand there and take it like a sucker

We had this conversation many months ago in relation to this scenario but what I am trying to say is you can walk away or if she is violent then pull a taxi up and go and forget it just to get the hell out of there.

there is no reason to stay and try and be a hard-man in the face of a lunatic woman, you just leave.

I had this nasty row a while back with a woman that was pissed drunk and for some reason she wanted me dead for some unknown reason and when she was in the height of it I went over to her and grabbed her in a bear-hug and said to her it's ok I don't have a problem with you and I kept her there for at least 30 seconds and after that she was my best friend. The fooking drink is hard on any woman and is the cause of all this but as we all know it can be nasty forsure sometimes. I just wish women didn't drink so much on weekends as to put themselves into a warped sense of humour. that woman could be the soundest person you would ever meet but on the night after a ton of drink it can all go very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i wouldnt hit her but id punt her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

My hotel night porter days in Galway and strolling through Eyre Sq on the way to work.
    If you know Eyre Sq you know it's full of drunks at the best of times.
    And full of fights at the worst of times.

Saw some lad hit his girlfriend and knock her to the ground so being the good samaratian I stepped in.
    And they both turned on me and this fine lady hit me in the face

Fook it, I walked away and I was on my way to work so just forgot about it. What would holding her or grabbing her arms achieve, her lover dear would then clobber me.

I couldn't care less if her boyfriend beat her to a pulp that night. That sounds harsh but I did try to help
    When you're in an abusive relationship you need to help yourself before you can take help from others

Last time I'm being a good Samaritan, never get involved in a domestic
    If a lady choses to be with some violent bastard that was her choice, plenty of nice lads around yet she chose him

i wouldnt hit her but id punt her

Like this guy :pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Domo230 wrote: »
    Morally if someone hits me I believe I have the right to hit them back.

Don't want to get hit then I guess you shouldn't be starting trouble in the first place. Punishment should fit the crime and for most of the world Retributive justice is the norm.

I don't agree. Men should walk away.

Walking away makes you a proper man. Only a weak man would react in kind.

Only a sexist man would treat a woman differently because of her gender.

I don't agree. Men should walk away.

Walking away makes you a proper man. Only a weak man would react in kind.

It's about time a real answer was given ^^^ This should be the case in all circumstances. there is nothing keeping you there so move on and continue with your endeavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

zenno wrote: »
    Like this guy :pac::pac::pac:

no. like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 SeanW89

What would you do if a much smaller man (that you know you could beat up) punched you for no reason? I bet most people would probably kick the sh1te out of him.
    What would you do if a bigger girl than you hit you?
    I'm on the side for never hitting a girl but on the side that if a girl does punch a man, for no reason then that's assault. Don't think I've ever seen a girl arrested for punching a man.

Morally I am entitled to justice. Doesnt matter if I am male/female or what gender they are.

None of this "proper man" crap being hurled at people who demand fair and rightful justice for wrongdoings committed against them as is morally fair under retributive justice.

I have a mate who took a lot of abuse off his girlfriend at the time. He never sunk to her level, in the end he walked away. He's doing great now, she isn't.

You cant retreat from every scenario. What if they follow you and continue to strike?

Will you stay your hand as they lay blow after blow upon you?

Or would you act differently if the perpetrator had a penis?
    Would what they have between their legs make any difference to the morality of the act they are committing? And if so where do you draw the line on what is a sexist belief?

I was told by my dad that a man should never strike a woman, regardless of any situation.

My dad was a gentleman

You cant retreat from every scenario. What if they follow you and continue to strike?

Will you stay your hand as they lay blow after blow upon you?

Or would you act differently if the perpetrator had a penis?
    Would what they have between their legs make any difference to the morality of the act they are committing? And if so where do you draw the line on what is a sexist belief?

Simple really as I have already stated...Get in a taxi and off you go, problem solved. Look i have been in some serious situations myself before but Ijust leave and go and it never followed me and I go home and enjoy a beer and a bud and it's over. women are women and most are just beautiful and nice but by fook some are ball-breakers and their the ones i get up and go and leave them in the wind.

no. like this

Or this...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I shall defend myself by whatever means I deem necessary.

If restraint or retreat have little effect, then I will put that bitch through the wall.

Simple really as I have already stated...Get in a taxi and off you go, problem solved. Look i have been in some serious situations myself before but Ijust leave and go and it never followed me and I go home and enjoy a beer and a bud and it's over. women are women and most are just beautiful and nice but by fook some are ball-breakers and their the ones i get up and go and leave them in the wind.

My first relationship was abusive, she'd throw things at me, slap and punch me, shove me around, yadda yadda. I was a dumb ass for sticking it out for as long as I did. Any ways, often I'd try to leave the house, but she'd stand there at the door and thrash if I tried to make her move. I'd try to call someone, she'd grab the phone and bounce it off my head. What do you do in those situations? Some people are fucking lunatics and if they want to do damage, then they will.

I shall defend myself by whatever means I deem necessary.

If restraint or retreat have little effect, then I will put that bitch through the wall.

Jesus Christ.

[/B]

Jesus Christ.
    Yes my child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Threads like this are great, it's like free time travel. I get to feel like I live in the 1930's.
    wp peoples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crudegirl

Megatitan wrote: »
    If a female punched you in the face either once or numerous times do you think it is acceptable to strike back? Does a court side with the female in such a situation?
    Personally I think if she is man enough to throw a slap then she best be ready to take one.
    yea i am a woman but if i was to hit someone i would have to be willing to take it on the chin LITERALLY no matter who i hit

It's a nice sounding rule of thumb but under close scrutiny it falls apart. Would you not strike a woman to save your life or the life of another? There are too many scenarios where people who hold that view are made out to be hypocrites by realising that they would in fact strike.

If not and you truly believe to turn the other cheek then fair enough, but unless you apply that rule to both genders then you are a sexist. Would you strike a man who hit you for no reason or would you also turn cheek?

If that's what he believes then fair enough. However then he should do the same to everyone regardless of gender. Would he respond the same to a man giving him abuse?

I do not know this person but if he had stood up for himself perhaps he would not have been abused at all and at the very least the justice he is owed may have helped him. And maybe the girl would think twice about abusing anyone in the future? Leaving an immoral act unpunished lets the perpetrator know they can get away with it again.

And to stand up for oneself and receive appropriate revenge is not stooping to their level.Or are you saying it is morally as bad to strike someone not expecting it as it is to strike back in response because in my mind they are completely different acts.

If someone committed an immoral act against me and got away with it, what would stop them thinking they can get away with it again? However by retaliating, they are more likely to think twice about doing it again either to you or to anyone else.

Do you know what? Spare me your long drawn out bull****.

If you hit a woman, you're a cowardly scumbag

Regardless

Yes my child?

You need to have a chat with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Regardless

what if its a tranny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crudegirl

hit her back!! sorry pseudo feminists out there but we fought for this we have to take the good with the bad end of...

Spunge wrote: »
    what if its a tranny

If the tranny smacks you, kick in the nuts

Regardless

Good answer when you don't have any other.

crudegirl wrote: »
    hit her back!! sorry pseudo feminists out there but we fought for this we have to take the good with the bad end of...

seriously?

Good answer when you don't have any other.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Equal rights...

Therefore if she hits you, smack her back. The same thing I'd do to a fella, now not every situation is the same...But if a situation arose, in which I'd punch a fella back, then the girl is getting hit.

...wait for those militant feminist to abuse me now:p

What?

It amounts to "Oh yeah? Well, you have gay hair!" You don't have a decent argument for what you're saying, so you get pissy.

My first relationship was abusive, she'd throw things at me, slap and punch me, shove me around, yadda yadda. I was a dumb ass for sticking it out for as long as I did. Any ways, often I'd try to leave the house, but she'd stand there at the door and thrash if I tried to make her move. I'd try to call someone, she'd grab the phone and bounce it off my head. What do you do in those situations? Some people are fucking lunatics and if they want to do damage, then they will.

How's it going man. yeah, I understand what you are saying as you obviously loved her but she didn't give back what you felt for her I think, surely you loved her at one stage but things went arseways unfortunately which is a horrible thing to happen. But joe you should have moved on immediately after you got the abuse and this is why I said you must have loved her but you stuck with her and her abuse.

well joe if it was me and I had to take that abuse I would be gone like the wind as i could never take abuse from a women as this would mean she does not like me so why stay. I also understand that in certain circumstances if kids are involved it's mighty tough but staying is tougher on yourself so in times like this you just have to forward yourself to the outer limits and start afresh.

It amounts to "Oh yeah? Well, you have gay hair!" You don't have a decent argument for what you're saying, so you get pissy.

I'm against men hitting women Joe, whats your point?

• Advertisement

Regardless
    Well aren't you precious.

I'm sure the next time you're out with your BF and some psycho bitch attacks you, you would urge him to stay away and willingly take the beating, or worse. As your BF is a ''gentleman''.

I hope that bubble of yours never bursts.

How's it going man. yeah, I understand what you are saying as you obviously loved her but she didn't give back what you felt for her I think, surely you loved her at one stage but things went arseways unfortunately which is a horrible thing to happen. But joe you should have moved on immediately after you got the abuse and this is why I said you must have loved her but you stuck with her and her abuse.

well joe if it was me and I had to take that abuse I would be gone like the wind as i could never take abuse from a women as this would mean she does not like me so why stay. I also understand that in certain circumstances if kids are involved it's mighty tough but staying is tougher on yourself so in times like this you just have to forward yourself to the outer limits and start afresh.

yeah, like I said, I was a moron for sticking around for as long as I did, but the fact is I found myself in those situations. So what am I supposed to have done? It's a double standard, here, once again. If it was me acting the way she did, she would totally be allowed to break my chin and be called brave for doing it.

Are you equally against women hitting men?

That you have gay hair.

Well aren't you precious.

I'm sure the next time you're out with your BF and some psycho bitch attacks you, you would urge him to stay away and willingly take the beating, or worse. As your BF is a ''gentleman''.

I hope that bubble of yours never bursts.

MagicMarker, I think we move in different circles, thank god

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Ensti

Pottler wrote: »
    You don't hit a woman, and if you do, you are a pussy and a cnut. Simples. I feckin hate men who hit women, if you are so tough, go hit a lad - but most wife / girlfriend beaters won't do that, cos they know they will get a smack back.

I disagree.

Why wouldn't you hit a girl if she hit you?

• Advertisement

That you have gay hair.

again, with the gay!
    something you want to share with class pet?

As I said you cannot retreat. Do you take the beating or strike in defence?
    And if you do take the beating does that mean men have free reign to assault you without retaliation too? Or does what is dangling from a persons legs despite not having any relevance to the morality of the scenario somehow make one genders acts okay to be punished while another's can get away without justice?

Woman = no fight....man on man if the situation occurred then so be it and deal with it like a man because one of you will lose. either way this is really pathetic because I don't give a flying fook if you are under duress with your woman or a woman you never ever hit a woman as a man has a hell of a lot more strength and does not realize this when the man does hit a woman it's out of order and immature.

men fight and always did but a man fighting a woman ffs give me a break. it's just bullsh1t. walk away and get on with it. terrible performance from a few posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

If I retaliate with a proportional response then I am seeking retributive justice. A key concept of our society.
    You make some good points but its not about justice. Its about protecting your person and property from harm. You are fully entitled to use appropriate force if you are assaulted, with an emphasis on appropriate. This applies equally to both men and women. Cowardice has nothing to do with it, you should never have to take physical abuse, end of story. There's nothing magical about women that makes them incapable of causing damage.

Are you equally against women hitting men?

@LilyCricket think you missed my post, so I quoted it up here...waiting for your answer

MagicMarker, I think we move in different circles, thank god

;)
    Yep, it seems we do, you are of the idealistic fantasy circle, and I am of the real world circle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement