Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for the lads

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Are you equally against women hitting men?

Yup, its a knackbag thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'd just restrain her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Nipple Cripple then walk away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So basically you would never try to defend yourself, ever, against anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

yeah, like I said, I was a moron for sticking around for as long as I did, but the fact is I found myself in those situations. So what am I supposed to have done? It's a double standard, here, once again. If it was me acting the way she did, she would totally be allowed to break my chin and be called brave for doing it.

Simple answer...just leave for good and never associate yourself with her again. that is the only solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Ensti

Pottler wrote: »
    You don't hit a woman, and if you do, you are a pussy and a cnut. Simples. I feckin hate men who hit women, if you are so tough, go hit a lad - but most wife / girlfriend beaters won't do that, cos they know they will get a smack back.

So, if my girlfriend attacks me, I go and attack a random lad instead of hitting her?

Yep, it seems we do, you are of the idealistic fantasy circle, and I am of the real world circle.

its sounds so nice, sad that i'm missing out :(

So basically you would never try to defend yourself, ever, against anyone?

what are you trying to get me to say here?

what are you trying to get me to say here?
    Well, the question is very clear.

If you were attacked by someone, unable to restrain them and unable to retreat, would you fight back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Now when I talk about hitting a girl, its defensive not offensive...

I wouldn't hit a fella unless I had to, in order to defend myself the same applies for women...

I'm not a knackbag, and I don't go looking for fights, but if I had to defend myself, I'd do anything in my power to do this and I wouldn't give a flying fcuk about gender(pardon my french)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

zenno wrote: »
    Simple answer...just leave for good and never associate yourself with her again. that is the only solution.

Read it again. I'm stuck in the house, she WON'T allow me to leave. I get close to her, I get scratched and worse. How do I leave? Want to know how I got out of there? I shoved that bitch. Want another story I told here last time I got involved in one of these threads?

Well, the question is very clear.

If you were attacked by someone, unable to restrain them and unable to retreat, would you fight back?

speaking from personal experience, i just fell apart & screamed for help.

it came.

I feel like i am in a bubble fart here because I cannot understand the mentality and lack of understanding of some of you people. what part of this forwarded comment do you people not understand ? JUST WALK AWAY/GO/LEAVE nothing is holding any man or woman back only the words of 'i will change' how may fooking times did we all here that ? the woman but especially men say this...mary i swear i'll change and i will never box your head in again and give you a black eye ffs you people make me want to puke fooking uneducated people here that do not understand the basics of a relationship. good luck. :mad:

Read it again. I'm stuck in the house, she WON'T allow me to leave. I get close to her, I get scratched and worse. How do I leave? Want to know how I got out of there? I shoved that bitch. Want another story I told here last time I got involved in one of these threads?

Have you tried to contact a battered women's charity...I know its not ideal but they are experts on this sort of thing. They may be able to offer you good solid advice and road out

Domo230 wrote: »
    Why don't you present your arguments for your case instead of resorting to petty name calling. Valid points were brought up to counter your claims and your response as one poster described it was to pull a "hissy fit" in response.

what hissy fit??

Now when I talk about hitting a girl, its defensive not offensive...

I wouldn't hit a fella unless I had to, in order to defend myself the same applies for women...

I'm not a knackbag, and I don't go looking for fights, but if I had to defend myself, I'd do anything in my power to do this and I wouldn't give a flying fcuk about gender(pardon my french)

you misunderstand me, the knackbag is the one starting the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I feel like i am in a bubble fart here
    Welcome to AH.

And if it hadn't?

The decision boils down to take the beating or fight back.
    Which one?

If you're a man, have enough pride in yourself to be a proper one

speaking from personal experience, i just fell apart & screamed for help.

it came.
    And what if it didn't come?

I'm sorry, but surely even you can now see that you're talking nonsense. No one here is advocating kicking the shít out of random women, all we're saying is that if you're left with no other choice, then you should take the necessary steps to defend yourself regardless of the gender of your attacker.

• Advertisement

Hang on a minute..are you disabled ? just wondering as going by you're comments it seems that you cannot leave the house ? or am i wrong in my assumption. sorry joe but i'm not sure if it is the case of you not been able to leave 'as like walking out the door' ?

And if it hadn't?

Which one?

To be fair, I've seen enough situations in which a couple where fighting and someone has jumped in to the aid of the girlfriend...

The girlfriend turns on the person trying to defend her, and ends up in a 2 on 1 situation...no thanks...call the guards and keep out of it, no interest in getting bet up or an assault charge, cause the girlfriend neglects to mention to the cops that her boyfriend was getting aggressive with her...or assaulting her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

bitches be trippin man, she be on the floor.

but seriously, it depends on the woman.

i myself, would never wreck a pretty face, however, if it was not pretty, i might not want to touch it.

so yea, hitting women is a no no either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

As I said you cannot retreat. Do you take the beating or strike in defence?
    And if you do take the beating does that mean men have free reign to assault you without retaliation too? Or does what is dangling from a persons legs despite not having any relevance to the morality of the scenario somehow make one genders acts okay to be punished while another's can get away without justice?

Woman = no fight....man on man if the situation occurred then so be it and deal with it like a man because one of you will lose. either way this is really pathetic because I don't give a flying fook if you are under dures with your woman or a woman you never ever hit a woman as a man has a hell of a lot more strength and does not realize this when the man does hit a woman it's out of order and immature.

men fight and always did but a man fighting a woman ffs give me a break. it's just bullsh1t. walk away and get on with it. terrible performance from a few posters here.

I was of the mind set of never hitting a woman. But I got caught up in something one night where a bunch of scumbags started a row. A mixture of girls and fellas. I was walking away as I don't like getting into street fights. But one girl was persistent and came up behind me and tried smashing a bottle over my head. It hit my shoulder and smashed. She then came at me again. So I laid her out with one dig. It was either that or risk getting stabbed with a sharp bottle. I don't like getting into fights ever due to my size and that I've been kick boxing and doing krav maga since a kid so it would be seen as me having an unfair advantage if charges came about. There are times where you can't just walk away and you must defend yourself. I had a few drinks so I didn't have confidence is disarming her without getting stabbed or seriously injuring her. So I quick hard jab was the easiest option.

I feel like i am in a bubble fart here because I cannot understand the mentality and lack of understanding of some of you people. what part of this forwarded comment do you people not understand ? JUST WALK AWAY/GO/LEAVE nothing is holding any man or woman back only the words of 'i will change' how may fooking times did we all here that ? the woman but especially men say this...mary i swear i'll change and i will never box your head in again and give you a black eye ffs you people make me want to puke fooking uneducated people here that do not understand the basics of a relationship. good luck. :mad:

Its not that easy really.

Calling arguments BS without valid reasons being presented as the other posters have pointed out.

I'm quite single minded on this topic, if you'll forgive me?

• Advertisement

A proper what...man? So I proper man takes a beating?

And if it hadn't?

Which one?

Why should I, as a woman even have to answer that?

What sort of person are you? What sort of life have you had?

do you beat a lot of men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

What sort of person are you? What sort of life have you had?

I hope you're not the sort of woman who generally asks for equality, because if you are, in your case it's undeserved.

I don't think a good man would beat up a woman

• Advertisement

To be fair, I've seen enough situations in which a couple where fighting and someone has jumped in to the aid of the girlfriend...

The girlfriend turns on the person trying to defend her, and ends up in a 2 on 1 situation...no thanks...call the guards and keep out of it, no interest in getting bet up or an assault charge, cause the girlfriend neglects to mention to the cops that her boyfriend was getting aggressive with her...or assaulting her

Yes and this is a very valid point so when you see a pisshead and his bird rowing just walk away anyway because 99.9% of the time the both of them will forget the argument that occurred and attack you, very true as i seen it myself a few times in dublin city. just let the little bitches get on with it as you have more important things to be doing. anyway it's not recommended to involve yourself in other peoples personal disputes. some people though learn the hard way or the hospital way.

grindle wrote: »
    I hope you're not the sort of woman who generally asks for equality, because if you are, in your case it's undeserved.

Why?

I think you've watched too many period dramas, you have no special status ''as a woman''. If you want to discuss the topic then you should back up your points, so far all you've said is ''daddy said gentlemen don't strike a ladies''.

Well tell us, why are men not allowed to defend themselves against women? Why are you unwilling to answer the questions put to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Pottler wrote: »
    You don't hit a woman, and if you do, you are a pussy and a cnut. Simples. I feckin hate men who hit women, if you are so tough, go hit a lad - but most wife / girlfriend beaters won't do that, cos they know they will get a smack back.

Ever seen a girl put on a stiletto on like a glove, i've seen a guy have his skull cracked after walking away from a girl that him.

Hang on a minute..are you disabled ? just wondering as going by you're comments it seems that you cannot leave the house ? or am i wrong in my assumption. sorry joe but i'm not sure if it is the case of you not been able to leave 'as like walking out the door' ?

I'm a tiny, under weight guy who was dating a chick much bigger than myself. You ever try to get past a bouncer? If they don't want you in, you're not getting in. It was exactly like that. There was no way she was letting me leave, and any attempt resulted in getting a smack in the face.

do you beat a lot of men?

No I don't beat men or women, as I'm not a scumbag(knackbag).

I've been attacked by someone before, I punched them, knocked them down and made my way out of the situation to the nearest taxi, it was a fella who attacked me...But if it was a women I would have acted the exact same(now random attacks on males by females are almost not heard of)

Its wrong to assault anybody, its perfectly moral and legal to defend yourself...

*anybody means both male and female

I think you've watched too many period dramas, you have no special status ''as a woman''. If you want to discuss the topic then you should back up your points, so far all you've said is ''daddy said gentlemen don't strike a ladies''.

Well tell us, why are men not allowed to defend themselves against women? Why are you unwilling to answer the questions put to you?

Well said good sir, well said

I don't think a good man would beat up a woman

I have never said beating, I've said hit in defence...

Assault is wrong
    Defence is acceptable, as we have a strong desire to survive, its in our genes oh both male and female's alike

Why?

Because you ask for equality, then in the same breath ask for inequality, because a "good man" shouldn't hit a girl to defend himself.
    I walked into a club with a friend before and some girl boxed my friend in the face and kicked him in the nuts (first time either of us ever saw her), so he decked her, one punch to the nose.
    Well-deserved.
    Unusually for backwards, illogical Ireland, we told the story to the bouncers, and the girl got kicked out, and we stayed!
    Maybe 'cos it was an 'alternative' club, so 'alternative' things happen.

I've never been violent towards a man. I've been on the receiving end of some ****. I've had friends who have been violent to men, they behaved terribly. I think as little of them as I would a man who hit back.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Because you ask for equality, then in the same breath ask for inequality, because a "good man" shouldn't hit a girl to defend himself.
    I walked into a club with a friend before and some girl boxed my friend in the face and kicked him in the nuts (first time either of us ever saw her), so he decked her, one punch to the nose.
    Well-deserved.
    Unusually for backwards, illogical Ireland, we told the story to the bouncers, and the girl got kicked out, and we stayed!
    Maybe 'cos it was an 'alternative' club, so 'alternative' things happen.

where have i mentioned equality?

I was of the mind set of never hitting a woman. But I got caught up in something one night where a bunch of scumbags started a row. A mixture of girls and fellas. I was walking away as I don't like getting into street fights. But one girl was persistent and came up behind me and tried smashing a bottle over my head. It hit my shoulder and smashed. She then came at me again. So I laid her out with one dig. It was either that or risk getting stabbed with a sharp bottle. I don't like getting into fights ever due to my size and that I've been kick boxing and doing krav maga since a kid so it would be seen as me having an unfair advantage if charges came about. There are times where you can't just walk away and you must defend yourself. I had a few drinks so I didn't have confidence is disarming her without getting stabbed or seriously injuring her. So I quick hard jab was the easiest option.

I understand perfectly in relation to your situation and I will say, for extreme situations like this where you 'cannot get away' then use any force necessary whether it be man or woman because this is in the extreme bandwidth of situations where you cannot leave and just go so in reality you have to protect your life no matter the outcome and this is fair and accepted as it is in law.

but if a person can get away easily then like i said earlier just leave, but this extreme situation is a different ball-game and to protect yourself with incoming attacks then you are correct to do what is necessary.

I've never been violent towards a man. I've been on the receiving end of some ****. I've had friends who have been violent to men, they behaved terribly. I think as little of them as I would a man who hit back.

What do you think of the women who fought back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

If Katie Taylor punched me I would just lay there and wait for the ambulance ...

So, do you think its wrong for a woman to hit a man?

You still have not answered the question. Why are men not allowed to defend themselves against women?

Seemed to skip over my responses again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

That doesn't answer the question. Does being a "proper" man involve taking a beating, or a knifing, or a bottling, or a glassing or defending yourself?

This is one of those really bizarre threads. On the one hand you have some people saying if a woman punched them they'd batter her, and others saying any man who hits a woman is a scumbag, regardless of circumstances.

The former is extremely unpleasant and over-reactive for obvious reasons, and the latter carries some blatantly sexist undertones - not because I think equality for women comes part and parcel with vulnerability to violence (:rolleyes:), but because it invariably stems from an attitude of "women are delicate and angelic creatures who are incapable of doing any harm."

Speaking for myself, if I was ever attacked by a woman, I'd go to much greater lengths to avoid violent retaliation than I would if I was attacked by a man. Not because I don't think I'm entitled to defend myself, but because on average I'd have a not insignificant strength advantage, and I'd pose a much greater threat to her than she would to me (generally speaking, obviously there are a lot of variables here).

Also, self-defence implies that there is a legitimate threat to your safety. If a woman slaps (or even punches) a man for some stupid reason, but otherwise poses no threat to him, then a violent reaction is completely inappropriate. Doesn't excuse her behaviour, but he should have some cop on and restraint as well.

where have i mentioned equality?

I said I should hope you don't expect it if you don't observe the rules of it, you said "Why not?", thus implicating yourself in the belief that you deserve equality, whilst also believing that a guy should, under no circumstances, defend himself against a feral woman.
    If you can't keep up with your own comments, may I suggest a rest-period?
    You can get back to lambasting us ungentlemanly types tomorrow.

• Advertisement

What do you think of the women who fought back?

did you see what i said in my last post?

Advertisement