Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for the lads

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

grindle wrote: »
    I said I should hope you don't expect it if you don't observe the rules of it, you said "Why not?", thus implicating yourself in the belief that you deserve equality, whilst also believing that a guy should, under no circumstances, defend himself against a feral woman.
    If you can't keep up with your own comments, may I suggest a rest-period?
    You can get back to lambasting us ungentlemanly types tomorrow.

By ungentlemanly - does this mean its ok to hit girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'd go to much greater lengths to avoid violent retaliation than I would if I was attacked by a man. Not because I don't think I'm entitled to defend myself, but because on average I'd have a not insignificant strength advantage, and I'd pose a much greater threat to her than she would to me (generally speaking, obviously there are a lot of variables here).
    This is the correct attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I'm a tiny, under weight guy who was dating a chick much bigger than myself. You ever try to get past a bouncer? If they don't want you in, you're not getting in. It was exactly like that. There was no way she was letting me leave, and any attempt resulted in getting a smack in the face.

I see joe. I think it is time to sit her down and have a very serious discussion. or I can go up and give her a word in the ear if you like ?. no need for that sh1t man these days it's time my friend to deal with her bullying as no-one should have to put up with that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

By ungentlemanly - does this mean its ok to hit girls?

Ungentlemanly by your reckoning. A girl or a guy who gives a slap deserves the same back.

Ungentlemanly by your reckoning. A girl or a guy who gives a slap deserves the same back.

Nice. you should go on take me out on tv3

*WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Linkus

speaking from personal experience, i just fell apart & screamed for help.

it came.

Do you know how many people get beaten to death or left with horrific injuries each year?

Do you know how often people walk by these beatings?
    How often people simply..cross the road or turn around and walk the other way?

No, you can't expect to be saved just by screaming for help.

I'm with Daftendirekt on this one.
    If someone, regardless of gender, were to start actually beating me (Not just a cheeky or deserved slap, male or female) I would fight back. I would do my best to never leave someone actually that hurt, I don't like hurting anyone really.
    If it was a woman hitting me, I would go to greater lengths to avoid fighting her and would actually try talk some sense into her.

Why?

Because the next person may not be as nice and would do a lot worse than just hit her back. Male and female included.

Appropriate force is appropriate. You don't punch a child hard in the face for them hitting your leg in frustration. You would punch a wo/man hard in the face if s/he was trying to knife you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

zenno wrote: »
    I see joe. I think it is time to sit her down and have a very serious discussion. or I can go up and give her a word in the ear if you like ?. no need for that sh1t man these days it's time my friend to deal with her bullying as no-one should have to put up with that crap.

It's long over now, but the point is, why aren't I allowed to have defended myself?

Jesusssssss, have you seen those yokes? Wouldn't touch 'em with anyone on the forum's yoke, they're an awful bunch of manky pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

A few people(well 1 person) on here, is really coming off as flower power hippy who seem to preach equality when it suits them and inequality when it doesn't...Militant Feminism

I would hate to live in your world, where everyone passively accepts every unwarranted attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It's long over now, but the point is, why aren't I allowed to have defended myself?
    You are allowed.

Domo230 wrote: »
    Missing the point. Im saying what will you do when you CANNOT LEAVE?

You keep saying your response to the scenario where you cannot leave is to leave.
    That makes no sense.

Ill say it again
    If you could not leave and were assaulted by a female, would you take the beating as per your view of not responding to an attack from a woman or would you retaliate to defend yourself?

If i was immobilized and could not leave..as in i could not walk or wheel myself out of the house in my wheel-chair and was getting attacked ? yes i would kill the woman dead. ok you got my answer but that would be in a situation of being immobilized or paralysed of which i could not leave but if i could manage to leave then i would leave even if it was a ditch i had to live in in a wheel-chair it would be better than been attacked all the time. is this the bloody answer you were looking for. hope it helps

I would hate to live in your world, where everyone passively accepts every unwarranted attack.

dished out by yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManTheSam

This thread is like a black-hole for dignity.

dished out by yourself?

No, I'm too small, frail and wimpish to start fights, but if I have to then I will defend myself.
    ManTheSam wrote: »

This is AH, you leave your dignity at the door.

ManTheSam wrote: »

Why, do you say its indignant to defend one's self?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

dished out by yourself?

How have you managed to not be banned yet? Back under your brige foul creature

empacher wrote: »
    How have you managed to not be banned yet? Back under your brige foul creature

Its bridge, darling.

x

Well after reading the predicament and the situation you were in you had the right to fight back and i'm sorry that i didn't understand you're exact situation at the time earlier but yes you are well within your rights to remove this person by force.

my look on this thread was from a healthy man against a woman and as i said you just walk away but under serious circumstances like yours when you are unable to leave then it would be acceptable 100% to protect yourself in any way you needed to.

Sorry to go off topic, but how to you report someone for being a total douche on this site?

• Advertisement

Sorry to go off post, but how to you report someone for being a total douche on this site?

Is there an ignore button?

Its bridge, darling.

x

It is a typo, Honey. xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭duinegorm

I got punched by a girl once, proper scumbag. My first thought was that I couldn't possibly punch her back. She did it again. I tried to stop her by catching her arms. She scratched at my face and took a chunk out with a fingernail.

I now have a permanent scar on my cheek. If there's a next time I won't hesitate!

Is there an ignore button?

Does that block all their posts?

we all make mistakes, pet x

Nice one, your 400 post:D

Does that block all their posts?

Just checked, you can add them to a list, and yes it does. I'd love to use it more often, but I love (really hate though) democracy so much, I have to leave the lines open.

Just checked, you can add them to a list, and yes it does. I'd love to use it more often, but I love (really hate though) democracy so much, I have to leave the lines open.

Yeah man, I'm the same and I also love ripping holes in someone's warped ideology such as a certain poster on this forum tonight...won't name the thread as that may be conceived as being sexist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Its bridge, darling.

x

Troll level: 100

• Advertisement

Yeah man, I'm the same and I also love ripping holes in someone's warped ideology such as a certain poster on this forum tonight...won't name the thread as that may be conceived as being sexist
    Sexist? Typo? Not sure if I could conceive it as being the sexiest, but maybe...
    Keep going, Lil-let.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I get a bit weirded out by how often this question comes up and how many replies it gets.

Some people have really thought about it.

I get a bit weirded out by how often this question comes up and how many replies it gets.

Some people have really thought about it.

Some people have done it.

*shudders*

we all make mistakes, pet x

I think I'm in love.

The epic arguments would put soap opera writers to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Domo230 wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask

Would you turn the other cheek if a man struck you?

And you would be reluctant to strike a woman due to the strength disparity, is that correct? Well what if a weak man struck you? Would you also turn the other cheek just because you consider him weak?Or what if it was a Woman of comparable physical strength to a man? Or is it more than just physical strength that is the issue?

First of all, when I say violent retaliation is often a bad idea, I'm not talking about turning the other cheek. I mean either walking away, defusing the situation verbally, or physically restraining the attacker in way that's unlikely to harm them.

Also, let's assume that we're talking about an actual attack, involving prolonged aggression and a real or perceived risk to my safety. And just so we're clear, I'm not an Internet tough guy of any description. I've never thrown or taken a punch, and I'd probably get my ass handed to me in a scrap :pac:.

If the attacker was male and built similarly to, or larger than me, I'd feel more threatened than in any other scenario. In this case, the best way to defuse the situation might be by hitting back, good and hard.

If the attacker was male and significantly smaller than me, I'd regard it in much the same way as being attacked by a woman. Hitting back might result in me damaging him more than he's capable of damaging me, and so I'd be much more cautious.

If the attacker was an unusually strong or large female, or was armed in some way, I would hit back, though I probably can't claim to be completely gender-blind. I'm sure years of conditioning to view women as the fairer (read weaker) sex has had an effect on me, and I'd probably be more hesitant than I would if dealing with a man of similar strength. But it's not an attitude I cultivate in myself, and I don't think I'd feel so bound by any code of chivalry that I'd be reluctant to do whatever was necessary to defend myself. If that makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

So I gave that bitch a right hook. Bitches love right hooks.

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    So I gave that bitch a right hook. Bitches love right hooks.

That's why all the ladies love George Hook isn't it:D

I think too many people are reading hit back, and thinking what is typed is ''dance on her head''. If i was ever to hit her it would probably be a thump into the chest to stun and then I'd turn heel and run to the nearest taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

As a woman, if I started throwing a few digs around I'd expect a few back. Completely different from a man beating a woman for no reason.

Rolli wrote: »
    Troll level: 100

I actually LOL'd reading that mate...thanks mate now I can sleep

There should be a troll rating on all posters on this site it is should be just here

...a thump into the chest to stun...

A punch to the diddy. Nice.

• Advertisement

I actually LOL'd reading that mate...thanks mate now I can sleep

There should be a troll rating on all posters on this site it is should be just here

So that's where you went!

##:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

A punch to the diddy. Nice.

Ouch sore:(

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Ouch sore:(

Sore, but hilarious.

So that's where you went!

Yeah, I'm not very good on paint that's why I was away so long:D

He's a very sexual man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd beat them with my charms and chiseled good looks.

He's a very sexual man.

Really? He comes across as a little creepy to me...but I do enjoy his radio show most of the time

He's a very sexual man.

"I'm a FEHry... SECK...shual, MAHn."

Really? I comes across as a little creepy to me...but I do enjoy his radio show most of the time

If you come across as creepy to yourself, how do you think you come across to others?

• Advertisement
Advertisement