Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat returned after escaping for 4 days

• 14-04-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

We were away for a week and didn't want to put our cat in kennels because she doesn't like other cats and it takes her a while to warm to people. Anyway my boyfriend's friend was coming to the house to mind his dog so he said he'd make sure noinin had food and water. I warned him not to let her out but of course he left the front door open and she got spooked and ran out. He said he called her but she wouldn't come back. He just left then and didn't even leave a window open. Was so mad when we got back to find her gone. Searched everywhere and left window open. Long story short she came back this evening found her outside the front door meowing.

Have checked her and she has a cut over her eye doesn't look like a bite but its big enough and has a scab on it. My question is should I bring her to the vets? I've read about cat bites becoming infected and I'm worried for her. Also apart from wormer and flea treatment do I need to.do anything else? She's vaccinated and spayed.

So happy she's back and feel so guilty for leaving her. She's following me around the house and sleeping on my lap since she got back its like she's worried we are gonna leave again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Cuts can scab over and turn into abscesses (sp) It would be cheaper to get her to the vet now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If there's any swelling or puncture wounds or if you see any pus at all get her straight to the vets, all cat bites get infected due to the bacteria all cats have on their teeth and it will need to be drained and put on antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Cats spread Feline HIV through biting each other. It is NOT in any way linked to the human aids virus and poses no danger to humans, but you should probably get your cat checked as it will be important to know if he has it or not.
    My cat was diagnosed when he was about 8 - 9 years old and I nearly died of fright when I heard it. But it never bothered him in any way and he died aged 15.5 years from renal failure.
    So glad to hear your cat came home - he knows where his comfort is obviously!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

She is eating and drinking as normal but is sleeping more than usual and what worries me the most is she hasn't peed or pooped since she came back yesterday evening. I'm put her in the litter box but she just jumped out. So going to call vet first thing in the morning. Hope its nothin bad and she's just exhausted from her adventure :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi , same thing happenned to me while on a weekend away in london (1st holiday in yrs & since in 08) , friend let the cat out. She never came back. It was v upsetting.
    I'm happy for you yours did, and I hope she makes a full recovery from her injuries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement