Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to interpret cartell report?

Options
  • 14-04-2012 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all, I am just looking for bit of help in how to correctly interpret cartell report?
    I have read that and there are 2 sections highlighted in red.
    They are about tax and nct. Can you draw any conclusion from below?
    I have uploaded pic at below link if you care to look at?
    Car looks nice, but I am worried about that gap in NCT and Tax in the past, could that mean car was for example badly crashed and off the road for good while? Owner category on report says: GARAGE

Also, its not visible on attached link, but it says number of owners 1 and number of previous owners 0. The guy selling seems to run a selling business as he has many cars on offer (probably hence owner category GARAGE on report). So that wasn't his car, but somebody elses car he must have bought it and is selling on. Makes obvious sense, which I don't mind. However, in that case, why report states 1 owner? My logic tells me he must be 2nd owner then, if he is not the first owner who bought car brand new originally? Or am I figuring this one out wrong?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/carmr.png/

What would be your guess here, can that be trusty car with some nct'ing and tax'ing issues or is it definitely stay away? What else would you check?

Many thanks...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It looks to me as if its a 2005 car that was never NCTd and for a while was not taxed. This may mean nothing but could also mean it was off the road on a dealers forecourt for a long time or even awaiting repair.

Not a reason not to proceed but you'd better ask straight questions about it and expect straight answers. You also need to look at it very carefully, and don't forget to bend your back. Get it up on a ramp if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 br_is_br

Thanks Corktina.

Car has actually been NCT tested at the end of 2010 and has valid NCT till beginning of 2013. The NCT was once due on 2 Jan 2009 and this is when it has not been done - only was done almost 2 years later at the end of 2010 which is the current one valid till 2013. That makes me bit worried as why it happened. Also there is 1 year with unpaid TAX back in 2008. And then being paid again from 2009 onwards. Also Motortax website (as suggested to check here on this forum in 1st buyers thread) says it has been bought 1 month ago by dealer.

So I am not Sherlock Holmes, but to me it looks:

- Car was not taxed in 2008. Possibly off the road? Reason? Owner not using? More likely crashed / long repair? It was only 3 years old back then - strange.
    - Then in 2009 NCT not done and only done by end of 2010, however tax was paid.

Yeah all together looks bit weird, I am going to ask straight question as you say and let's see what they answer.
    In that case I think it won't be insensible if I find mechanic to go with me for another viewing of it, or make suggestion to the seller I want to test in in independent garage, I don't even mind paying for this test...

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

The car could easily have been taxed in 2008 if it was done a monthe late for the full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

br_is_br wrote: »
    - Car was not taxed in 2008. Possibly off the road? Reason? Owner not using? More likely crashed / long repair? It was only 3 years old back then - strange.

As Jim says, for the car to have the tax expiry date of Jan 09, it has to have been taxed in 2008. My take on it is tax expired Dec 07, maybe owner was away for Christmas or whatever, doesn't use the car in January. Then it's taxed from Feb 08 to Jan 09.
    br_is_br wrote: »
    - Then in 2009 NCT not done and only done by end of 2010, however tax was paid.

The 2009 NCT would have been the cars first test due. While every owner has the responsibility to know that when their car reaches 4 years old it's due a test, NCT don't always send out a notification of this. So, yes, maybe the owner was chancing their arm or just forgot. For me, I'd be more worried about a service history and the cars condition now.

As you've said above, bring a mechanic with you and have a good look at it. Maybe a phone call to the previous owner if possible.

What car is it you're looking at?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 br_is_br

Jimdagym, buffman, thanks for that, I did not know that could be the case.
    It's 407.
    As I said guy who is selling, looks like he is small car sales business, so he would not know exactly. I may ask him if he can contact previous owner if possible and ask. Car has some service history, seemed regular till 2009 or 2010 (stamped) then I don't know - maybe no service or private mechanic service.
    Body and interior looked mint. Car has in region of 90K kilometres (not miles), that is quite low, so perhaps version with car being off the road for a while could be plausible to me, it's however just my guess.

Do you know of any car mechanic in North Dublin who would be trustworthy and good and wanted to have a look at car for me? Just couple minutes work and handy money to whoever knows his stuff. Of course I will pay him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement