Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installation query - no dial tone or dsl

Options
  • 14-04-2012 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

We ordered a line and broadband from eircom a few days ago and I am a little concerned.
    We received an SMS welcoming us to eircom, but there's is no dial tone at all. The line is completely dead.

I tried calling the number we were given and it just rings a few times,answers then crackles loudly!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Are you sure the phone sockets you are trying are wired up? I had a simlar problem when i got Magnet BB connected in a house before, it ended up that none of the phone points in the house other than one in the room under the stairs (the "master" socket) were wired up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's an older house and there are absolutely no eircom or TE branded sockets in the house at all but, there has been a line active a few weeks before we moved in.

What's concerning me is that the phone number eircom sales have us is being answers by something!
    When we call it, it rings a couple of times and then there's a crackling sound and the mobile indicates call is in progress.

I'm hoping they haven't connected it to the totally wrong house and some old alarm, or modem of sort connected to an abandoned pair might be answering.

The houses around here have names rather than numbers and there's a very high upc uptake so, I'd say there are plenty of abandoned eircom lines.

Any chance of an eircom rep looking into this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Solair wrote: »
    It's an older house and there are absolutely no eircom or TE branded sockets in the house at all but, there has been a line active a few weeks before we moved in.

What's concerning me is that the phone number eircom sales have us is being answers by something!
    When we call it, it rings a couple of times and then there's a crackling sound and the mobile indicates call is in progress.

I'm hoping they haven't connected it to the totally wrong house and some old alarm, or modem of sort connected to an abandoned pair might be answering.

The houses around here have names rather than numbers and there's a very high upc uptake so, I'd say there are plenty of abandoned eircom lines.

Hi Solair,

It sounds as though it may be a Failed Electronic Connection. Where there is a line connected to the address and we tried to connect it from the exchange. However in some cases if there is a fault / issue on the line, a technican may needed to complete the connection.

Can you PM me with the new address (Or any tel no: ACC no) and I can check it out for you.

Thanks, Mark

PM sent! Thanks.

We're just concerned that we get the line & DSL up and running a.s.a.p. as we need broadband at home (study & business reasons).

There does not appear to be any eircom / or Telecom Eireann socket in the house, just non-branded DIY RJ11 sockets in various locations. Although, I don't think that should make any major difference.

• Advertisement

PM sent! Thanks.

We're just concerned that we get the line & DSL up and running a.s.a.p. as we need broadband at home (study & business reasons).

There does not appear to be any eircom / or Telecom Eireann socket in the house, just non-branded DIY RJ11 sockets in various locations. Although, I don't think that should make any major difference.

Hi Solair,

I PM you back.

Thanks, Mark

Just sent you on some mapping details there... Hopefully that might help!

Just sent you on some mapping details there... Hopefully that might help!

Hi Solair,

I PM you back, if you can get the information requested I can decide on the fastest way to resolve the connection issue.

Thanks, Mark

Hopefully, we'll be able to get that for you later this afternoon.

Better still, we might be able to get the recently deactivated line number.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get that for you later this afternoon.

Better still, we might be able to get the recently deactivated line number.

Hi,

If you can send on either number that would be great.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Sent

Sent

Hi,

I sent an order to have the connection by technicians:

I am going to see how quickly get the engineer out to check and I will get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

I sent an order to have the connection by technicians:

I am going to see how quickly get the engineer out to check and I will get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi that's great thanks!

I'm just wondering if there have been any updates on this?

We still had no dial tone this morning.

Hi Solair,

The order has been sent out to the technicians and there was a request made to expedite the order if possible. We haven't had a confirmation yet but as soon as the details go up on the appointment system we'll update this thread. Just so you know, there is also a credit set up that will give back any rental you are charged from the day of connection up to the day the work is complete. Thanks again for your patience on this,

Mark

Any updates on this?
    I'm assuming we won't see any sign of an engineer before Monday now?

Hi Solar,

The order has been assigened to a technican, hoever he has been unable to get to it as yet. I outlined the urgency and escalated it to the manager in the area to try and insure I get someone out for Monday.

I will get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your help online and I appreciate that you aren't able to do anything to speed things from there as it's dependent on local technicians, however this is really getting a bit frustrating and we are considering cancelling the order and going with Nova Networks or Digiweb Metro for both landline and broadband as at least we would have a guaranteed installation date and connection time.

Nobody has been in touch with us by phone from eircom to discuss what is going on.

I have no idea what the estimated delivery date is on this connection etc.

We ordered the line on Wednesday 11 April it's now 25th April. We are in a major urban area, and about a 3 minute walk from the exchange and there is a line in the house even if it's not connected outside on the street somewhere.

There has, from what I can see, been absolutely no movement on this at all.

Got a call, now have a technician call out on Wednesday so some progress!

Hi Solair,

The technican was out and checked the connection at the exchange today and everything tested fine. So he needs to call out to your address to check the connection point / Line leading into the house.

The earliest appoinitment is 25/04/12 9am. Will someone be avilable if the technician needs access to the house?

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Solair,

The technican was out and checked the connection at the exchange today and everything tested fine. So he needs to call out to your address to check the connection point / Line leading into the house.

The earliest appoinitment is 25/04/12 9am. Will someone be avilable if the technician needs access to the house?

Thanks, Mark

Yes, that's no problem - Can they make sure to ring one of our mobiles and we can arrange to be there.

Yes, that's no problem - Can they make sure to ring one of our mobiles and we can arrange to be there.

Hi Solair,

No problem, i will insure that the technican calls one of the mobiles before calling out.

Thanks, Mark

Great news!
    Thanks for your help. Hopefully they figure out what the connection issue is.

Hi,

The technical crew got in contact with us this morning and it looks like the old line was physically cut outside the house somewhere. That would explain the lack of any services / dial tone. The external line is basically cut at the pole and short circuiting to itself.

On another point, we received a bill for €65.46 this morning.

It includes line rental from 22 April 12 to 21 May 12.

Given that eircom did not connect a working line to the property when it was ordered, I don't see why you are charging us line rental for that period.

Can you please look into it.

The bill states that the order was completed on 11/04/2012 and broadband was connected on 17/04/2012.
    Basically all that happened is services were remotely switched on at the exchange but there was no physical line connected to our house.

Great.

We met the technician and he's getting it sorted out. So, hopefully we will have a working line later on.
    At least we know that they have activated services at the exchange even if there's no physical line!

My only concern is that I am just assuming that the line rental / service charges will be re-credited as no service is being supplied at present, yet you are charging for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi,

The technical crew got in contact with us this morning and it looks like the old line was physically cut outside the house somewhere. That would explain the lack of any services / dial tone. The external line is basically cut at the pole and short circuiting to itself.

On another point, we received a bill for €65.46 this morning.

It includes line rental from 22 April 12 to 21 May 12.

Given that eircom did not connect a working line to the property when it was ordered, I don't see why you are charging us line rental for that period.

Can you please look into it.

The bill states that the order was completed on 11/04/2012 and broadband was connected on 17/04/2012.
    Basically all that happened is services were remotely switched on at the exchange but there was no physical line connected to our house.

Hi Solair,

We both posted at the same time so I deleted my other post, looked very irrelevant! Mark had asked me to chase this up for you. Good to hear the technicians have gotten to the bottom of it, it shouldn't be too long before you're ready to go. With regards to billing, we will of course credit any days that were charged once the fault is fully sorted. If I credit now, policy only allows me to credit up to today but once the problem is cleared we will have set dates to reimburse.
    Because the line was originally activated remotely, the system here doesn't recognise the fault so charges continue as normal. Mark has however set up a credit that starts from the day the line was 'connected' and it will continue to clock up until the case is closed. I will keep an eye on this and PM you when we have a proper amount. For now, obviously don't pay the bill and we'll look after it from our end.

Cheers

James

The saga gets worse.

The technicians said it's not good and a site survey is now required.

To be honest, we might just look at cancelling the order if this is going to be slow and expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

The saga gets worse.

The technicians said it's not good and a site survey is now required.

To be honest, we might just look at cancelling the order if this is going to be slow and expensive.

Hi,

Have responded to your PM, and apologies for the hassle up to this point. Will check the notes from todays tech visit and see what the best way forward is.

Regards

James

Hi James,

Any updates ?

I have the DSL modem, but I will keep it unopened until I hear more from you guys.

(PM sent)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi James,

Any updates ?

I have the DSL modem, but I will keep it unopened until I hear more from you guys.

(PM sent)

Hi Solair,

Checked with James. Has approved with Manager to cancel account with no charges to yourself.

He will follow up with you on Monday or Tuesday.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement