Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liberty Assesment Levels

• 14-04-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Looking to get my first motorbike and the insurance quotes are quite excessive. With liberty if I put in that I have completed Liberty Assesment Level 1 or Level 2 the quotes are comming in around 25% cheaper and around 15% cheaper for Level 3 or Level 4.
    What's the difference between those 4 levels? What's involved to complete these assesments and how much does it cost to do them?
    Any info on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

All grades are here:
    Grade 4
    Basic: Up to 25% reduction
    This relates to a rider holding a Provisional Licence who has demonstrated the ability "to ride safely in all normal conditions" and equates broadly to a beginner who has satisfactorily completed a "Basic" course
    Grade 3
    Intermediate: Basic reduction plus an additional 10% (these discounts are subject to change so please contact your insurance company)
    This can be done with a Learner Permit or Full licence
    Grade 2
    Intermediate/Advanced: Basic reduction plus an additional 15% (these discounts are subject to change so please contact your insurance company)
    This can be done with a Learner Permit or Full licence
    Grade 1
    Advanced/High Level: Reduction plus an additional 20% (these discounts are subject to change so please contact your insurance company)

So if you're starting out, you can get a grade 4.
    AFAIK only Aon and Liberty are taking insurance assessments. The assessment can take between 3-6 hours and I've seen it priced at around 150 quid for each company. But if you do the Aon/Axa assessment, Liberty will also accept it, not vice versa, but some offer a free assessment as part of the IBT test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

RobertM wrote: »
    All grades are here:

So if you're starting out, you can get a grade 4.
    AFAIK only Aon and Liberty are taking insurance assessments. The assessment can take between 3-6 hours and I've seen it priced at around 150 quid for each company. But if you do the Aon/Axa assessment, Liberty will also accept it, not vice versa, but some offer a free assessment as part of the IBT test.

Cheers for the info but is there a list of things that needs to be done for each level?
    I'm a quick learner and I'm sure I could pass level 2 even after few driving lessons (I passed my car driving test after 4 driving lessons (first time)).
    Could I do the assesment after having the bike for a month or two and then get the reduction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

It is up to the person you're doing the assessment with, he's going to assign you with the grade.

I'm not 100% sure, but if you do the assessment after a couple of months of having the bike, the insurance company should accept it and add your reduction for the remainder of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭prunudo

but43r wrote: »
    Cheers for the info but is there a list of things that needs to be done for each level?
    I'm a quick learner and I'm sure I could pass level 2 even after few driving lessons (I passed my car driving test after 4 driving lessons (first time)).
    Could I do the assesment after having the bike for a month or two and then get the reduction?

You didn't say and I'm presuming here, that this will be your first bike and you don't have any or very little experience of riding a bike on the road. Afaik grade 1 is very difficult to get and you won't achieve it by doing a few lessons on a few Saturday afternoons. The monitary cost of doing all the grades will also be quite expensive and it will probably work out the same as your initial insurance quote.
    The real value of the insurance assessments is not the saving in the insurance premium but in the road craft it teaches you and the things that will end up making you a safer rider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

jvan wrote: »
    The real value of the insurance assessments is not the saving in the insurance premium but in the road craft it teaches you and the things that will end up making you a safer rider.

Excellent point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Here is the aon assessment, that was done during part 4 of the IBT http://db.tt/4tK8gBCB

Advertisement